2004 malibu 0-60 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2004, 01:40 AM   #1
OHV
GM Junkie

2004 malibu 0-60

do any of you know how fast this car can do 0-60 in? in V6 form of course
OHV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:12 AM   #2

chevy malibu has honda 3.5l in it!
vtecno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:41 AM   #3
University Of Miami Boy

Send a message via AIM to Jaki Send a message via MSN to Jaki
I found numbers between 7.8-8.0sec for the 0-60, and about 16.1 for the 1/4 mile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nissan 350Z TT 6MT

Jaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 1st, 2004, 01:44 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Vigo
uhh, malibu has CHEVY 3.5 in it. only gm with a honda v6 are saturns.

anyway, its in the mid 7s 0-60, and 1/4 in mid 15s.
still waiting on a complete list of changes that added up to extra power going from 3.4 to 3.5.

and of course, wait for the upcoming 250hp 3.9 and 6 speed combo (will probly only go to the pontiac, but who knows)
Vigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Imported GM Knowledge

Send a message via AIM to KittATL Send a message via Yahoo to KittATL
mmmmm G6 lol

the 3.5 is a new engine. So there are quite a few differences than just the dispalcement.

The 3.9 is sopposted to be a stroked 3.5.

But we'll all see when it comes out.
KittATL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM   #6
OHV
GM Junkie

huh! im suprised that that the 3500 can run that fast with its tall geared 4spd. so then the camry guy with his "advanced" DOHC VVT and all that stuff is all for nay... and worse fuel econ! LOL. too funny.

and just so ya'll know.

the 3900 (3.9L) will be available on the G6 initially, in a few years it will gain 3 valve tech and go to a supposed 270hp, and DoD.

Impala and other midsizers supposed to receive this 3.9L engine as a base V6 (not 100% sure tho) and of course, a 5.3L V8.

should be one aewsome performer, supposedly GMs 6spd FWD auto transmissions will be ready by ~05-06 also!

anyways thanks for the quick responces

Last edited by OHV; March 1st, 2004 at 05:33 PM..
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:23 PM   #7
Imported GM Knowledge

the g6 will have the ecotec 4cyl for a base and 3.5L initially.

The GTP version will be 12-18 months after the initial cars. Then several months after that a coupe version. Then a convertable few months after that.

There is also a GXP version in the works to come out last with a more powerful 3.9L and 6 speed.

DoD is sopposted to be ready for the G6 v6s
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:43 PM   #8
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by OHV
huh! im suprised that that the 3500 can run that fast with its tall geared 4spd. so then the camry guy with his "advanced" DOHC VVT and all that stuff is all for nay... and worse fuel econ! LOL. too funny.

The import mentality is to take a smaller engine and then wring every last bit of torque they can get out of it. Advanced computer systems, knock sensors galore, feedback timing control, variable this, variable that, etc etc etc. Well, all of that works wonders for smaller engines, but it also adds considerably to the price of the car as the tradeoff.

The domestic approach: Screw all that - just make it bigger. The torque curve won't be as flat and it won't rev as high (not as much peak horsepower), but you have a lot more of it (torque), and properly geared it will be just as quick if not quicker. On top of that, since you have so much low-end (esp with pushrod OHV 2-valve configuration), you can run extremely tall and relaxed overdrive gears and there's still enough torque on tap at 2000 rpm or less that you won't need downshifts, even with a load going uphill. That helps big time with fuel economy. And because your engine is so low-cost and "simple" compared to a decked out VVT import engine, you can sell the V-6 version for the same price as a 4-cylinder Accord or Camry.

As you can tell, I have lots of respect for domestics too.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:19 PM   #9
OHV
GM Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC

The domestic approach: Screw all that - just make it bigger. The torque curve won't be as flat and it won't rev as high (not as much peak horsepower), but you have a lot more of it (torque), and properly geared it will be just as quick if not quicker. On top of that, since you have so much low-end (esp with pushrod OHV 2-valve configuration)
yeah until u decide to high tech an OHV lol

from a domestics worst friend at edmunds... on the 3900

Quote:
The numbers on this engine are 240 horsepower at 5,900 rpm and 245 pound-feet of torque at just 2,800 rpm, which are commendable. What really makes the engine satisfying is that 90 percent of that peak torque is available from 1,800 to 5,800 rpm, since torque is what you need in the daily duels of urban driving. It provides plenty of juice for the low-rev driving that happens in cities, and if that's not enough GM will undoubtedly crank up an optional engine for the serious tire-burners out there.
also with strengthened pushrods couldnt you technically destroke the engine a bit for high rpms? wasnt there a high revving Classic camaro one year (like a package or something)?

o well regardless, GM needs to get some balls and slap a turbo on the 3800 and stick it in this thing! http://www.cheersandgears.com/boards...67&whichpage=1
only since the corvette is more powerful this time, 350hp, 400lb torque!
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:29 PM   #10

Nice find on Edmunds.com. Got a link to that? I wanna read more.

The limitation on pushrod setups as far as high revving goes is the heavy valvetrain. All other things being an equal, a pushrod setup will start floating valves before either a SOHC or DOHC setup. Some pushrods back in the musclecar era would rev up to 7000 rpm, but to do that you need stiffer valve springs which increase friction and decrease overall efficiency. That's the price you pay for being able to rev higher.

I think most production pushrods are limited to 6000-6500 rpm. Honda has pushed their SOHC V6 engines to 6900 rpm. DOHC can still go sky high, esp. with direct acting bucket tappets instead of rockers.
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:45 PM   #11
OHV
GM Junkie

well 6,500 rpms is plenty enough i suppose.

anyways heres the link, its from late last year.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specia...1/article.html

oh yeah there is also some talk going around about a turbocharged 3500 making 305hp and 300 torque... what it will be used on if at all? i have no idea.

but anyways good for us domestics is GM is supposed to open some aftermarket shops and more dealers with access... GMs supposed to really flourish a wave of aftermaket for their cars now... go GMPD

Last edited by OHV; March 1st, 2004 at 08:53 PM..
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:36 PM   #12
Imported GM Knowledge

There is no 3.5L turbo in the works atm (C/O Mike Witherspoon head engineer on the epsilon platform). It was concept, but just like the AWD G6 its just a concept "for atleast this week" in Mike's words. lol

There are tons of engine rumors going around so im just laying back until they show up.
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:53 PM   #13

Hey where can I get the full specs for the Malibu. Esp the gear ratios. I want to build a model for it in CarTest software and see what it could do stock and with some light mods.
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:21 PM   #14
OHV
GM Junkie

Quote:
Hey where can I get the full specs for the Malibu. Esp the gear ratios. I want to build a model for it in CarTest software and see what it could do stock and with some light mods.
GM canada has some aewsome stats... i assume they are the same if not VERY close...

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehi...i_details.html

Quote:
There are tons of engine rumors going around so im just laying back until they show up.
yeah thats true, besides we only gotta wait like 6 more months and im sure they will have more info

Last edited by OHV; March 1st, 2004 at 10:42 PM..
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by OHV
GM canada has some aewsome stats... i assume they are the same if not VERY close...

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehi...i_details.html
Cool thanks - that was exactly what I was looking for.

I'll build a cartest model for it tomorrow or whenever I get a chance and see how it comapres to other cars.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:50 AM   #16
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

I made a CarTest model on the new Malibu V6 a few months back, so I'll post up my numbers and compare them to yours :

Time-to-distance:
60'- [email protected]
660' - [email protected]
1,320' - [email protected]

Time-to-speed:
0-60mph - 7.82 seconds
0-100mph - 22.11 seconds

Not bad for "only" 200HP
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:02 AM   #17
OHV
GM Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by TH23
Not bad for "only" 200HP
if the 3500 can do this just imagine what the 3900 will do!

hey do a theoretical calculation on the 3900, use the same ratios and such as the malibu, but use the hp and torque ratings off of the 3500... or use the ratios of a Tremac t-56 since that will be the 6 spd im guessing? err thats a RWD 6spd... what FWD 6spd do they have??!

Last edited by OHV; March 2nd, 2004 at 01:34 AM..
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:05 AM   #18

Quote:
I made a CarTest model on the new Malibu V6 a few months back, so I'll post up my numbers and compare them to yours :

Time-to-distance:
60'- [email protected]
660' - [email protected]

Time-to-speed:
0-60mph - 7.82 seconds
0-100mph - 22.11 seconds

Not bad for "only" 200HP
nice

Hmmm....60' is decent, but I bet it could pull some 2.2's and run some mid-15's with a skilled driver that really nails the launch.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:40 AM   #19
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by OHV on March 2nd, 2004 at 03:02 AM

if the 3500 can do this just imagine what the 3900 will do!

hey do a theoretical calculation on the 3900, use the same ratios and such as the malibu, but use the hp and torque ratings off of the 3500... or use the ratios of a Tremac t-56 since that will be the 6 spd im guessing? err thats a RWD 6spd... what FWD 6spd do they have??!
Unfortunately, I don't know the ratios of the Tremac t-56 Once I know them, it won't be a problem

Anyway, using the Malibu's stock weight, gearing, tires, etc. with the 3900([email protected], [email protected], 6500 redline), I get:

Time-to-distance
60' - [email protected] (as Steve pointed out, will be better with good driver)
660' - [email protected]

Time-to-speed
0-60mph - 6.75 seconds
0-100mph - 17.32 seconds

If it's that fast with the 4-speed, then it should be really fast with the 6-speed

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on March 2nd, 2004 at 03:05 AM

nice

Hmmm....60' is decent, but I bet it could pull some 2.2's and run some mid-15's with a skilled driver that really nails the launch.
Thanks

Yea, even after dialing up the traction I have trouble getting the right 60' times. I'm definitely a lot closer than I was using the default traction settings.

The new Malibu is pretty quick. I wouldn't want to run one in my AV6, that's for sure
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't know the ratios of the Tremac t-56 Once I know them, it won't be a problem
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp

There's a bunch of different part numbers. But what I'd do is pick out a relatively middle ground set of ratios and then work out a final drive ratio that has the 2-3 shift coming at right after 60 mph and it'll probably be pretty close to what they'll do for production.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:17 AM   #21
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Thanks! I'm going to plug the ratios in now:

60' - [email protected]
660' - [email protected]

The 1/4-mile time was quicker despite the two extra shifts needed The 0-60 time was improved to 6.11 thanks to the short gearing.

I used the Tremec T-56 TUET1660 gears(2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1.0, .74, .5) with a 4.30 final drive. There were a few other models that had a shorter first gear but I'm too tired to try them out too
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:12 PM   #22
Faster???

Send a message via AIM to Need4Speed
It's going to be a totally new FWD 6-spd co-developed with Ford. So I think using the t-56 (which is only used in high-torque LS1/6 applications is a mistake. If either one of you gets the chance, plug in Nissan's FWD 6-spd. The power between the 2 engines is similar, the weight of the cars themselves is similar, drivetrain layout, etc. It'll probably give a more accurate reading. I wouldn't use the Accord's 6-spd because its power delivery is more high-strung and the tranny is geared for it....but Nissan's might work. Just for shlitz and giggles.

2003 Accord Coupe LX "Vicki"
V6 w/ 5-spd auto
Graphte Pearl/Black

15.093 @ 92MPH.....2.306 60' (Bone stock)
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:43 PM   #23
OHV
GM Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Need4Speed
It's going to be a totally new FWD 6-spd co-developed with Ford. So I think using the t-56 (which is only used in high-torque LS1/6 applications is a mistake. If either one of you gets the chance, plug in Nissan's FWD 6-spd. The power between the 2 engines is similar, the weight of the cars themselves is similar, drivetrain layout, etc. It'll probably give a more accurate reading. I wouldn't use the Accord's 6-spd because its power delivery is more high-strung and the tranny is geared for it....but Nissan's might work. Just for shlitz and giggles.
your right, there is a joint GM-Ford transmission for 6spd... to be completed in a year or two... HOWEVER...

G6 will also feature a manuel 6spd... i have NO idea what tranmission that is tho... since the t-56 is RWD... any ideas?

also the g6 on the 4spd looks pretty good... did u incorporate the 220.5+ torque that is available from 1800-5800 rpms?

Last edited by OHV; March 2nd, 2004 at 04:45 PM..
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:57 PM   #24
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally posted by OHV on March 2nd, 2004 at 06:43 PM

also the g6 on the 4spd looks pretty good... did u incorporate the 220.5+ torque that is available from 1800-5800 rpms?
Yea, I shaped the power curve to have >90% of peak torque between 1800 and 5800 rpm
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:45 AM   #25
OHV
GM Junkie

Quote:
Yea, I shaped the power curve to have >90% of peak torque between 1800 and 5800 rpm
excellent

that might arguably be a funner engine to drive than a high strung one... you can scare your friends instantly instead of having to rev to 6K rpm
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:48 AM   #26
Faster???

I was under the impression it was a 6-spd manual from Saab.

V6 w/ 5-spd auto
Graphte Pearl/Black

Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM   #27
Imported GM Knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by Need4Speed
I was under the impression it was a 6-spd manual from Saab.
Thats still GM. The new 9-3 is the same platform as the Mal and G6.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:54 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Vigo
finally, some good discussion on the new v6!! ive been trying so hard to get people to talk, finally found a place where it worked!

anyway, if its a new engine, than why does it use the same valve covers as a 3100 or 3400? why does it use a 3.4 block with a slightly different bore and the only external difference being some new mounting bosses? why does it have the same stroke as a 3.4? and why does it just look like a 3.4 with different manifolds? i heard it uses the same heads too.

that thing is geared low like a mofo. geez.

90 of peak torque from off idle to 5000+??? sounds like a 3.3! wow! lol.

i wanna drive one..

and g6.. i new it was some real short name with a number.. just couldnt remember it :P
Vigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #29
Faster???

Quote:
Originally posted by KittATL
Thats still GM. The new 9-3 is the same platform as the Mal and G6.
Ok, yes. But I'm saying that it is a FWD 6-spd that has only been used in Saabs thus far, but will now be used in OTHER GM's.

Just like the 3800 was Buick's once, but is now spread throughout GM's lineup.

V6 w/ 5-spd auto
Graphte Pearl/Black

Last edited by Need4Speed; March 7th, 2004 at 09:22 PM..
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #30
Imported GM Knowledge

It goes to whoever made it first then applied to the same platform in the other makes. Its still GM.

Saab was first in line since they were due up for revamp first, then the Chevy then the Pontiac. Just how the rotation ended up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in