Taurus SHO tech... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PorkChop Send a message via Yahoo to PorkChop
Taurus SHO tech...

Hey all my name is Brent, or PorkChop. I'm from the fresnoracing.com forum. I am seriously thinking of trading my Mustang 5.0 for an SHO. My stang runs low 13's, high 12's on a good day, and the SHO only runs 14's, and the worst part, i know absolutely nothing about them. I plan on supercharging it when i get, 14 is just too slow. But i just wanted to know what you guys thought on if it is a good idea. It is a VERY clean SHO with a lot of mods and probably one of the cleanest ones you will ever come across. He wants to give me the SHO and $1000 for my mustang. Just looking for advice. thanks all.
PorkChop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #2
Boosted!

Send a message via AIM to ComptechV6
i hear taurus have a bad name for themselves.. just keep the mustang
ComptechV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #3

The SHO has a yamaha motor in it. I heard it is next to impossible to find parts for that car that dont come from Ford. So it would be a real expensive to try and mod the thing. Thats all i really know about that car. I would keep the stang.
streetxdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 11th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PorkChop Send a message via Yahoo to PorkChop
Its modded up the ass... all i need are cams, maybe pistons and connecting rods and then bam... turbo time. And ill be done with it. Its just so heavy, and i have two mustangs so i can afford to let this one go.
PorkChop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #5

I think that u'll regret it. I love the mustangs and they are now becoming rarer and rarer to find them in good condition. The ford sho is a heavy ass passenger sedan. I would keep the mustang. Even if you do have 2 of them.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
gL withing making this decision do whatever makes you happier
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Kovster Send a message via MSN to Kovster Send a message via Yahoo to Kovster
What are the specs on that (03/04?) stock SHO, does it still have the same 3.0 DOHC the regular motors have?
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #8
TQ challenged

A V8? Have the cams been pinned or welded?
http://v8sho.com/SHO/KirkBufordonPinning.htm
Major problems with the early V6 models. The later V8s are not so hot either.

My 2 cents, stay away unless you're SHO fan & mechanical whiz with lots of $$.
ironmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #9
M62B44tu powaH!

www.shotimes.com

1989-1991 had a Manual only and was still the 1980's body design.

1992 SHO's had an updated apperance

1993-1995...Auto's were offered. They came with a 3.2L rated at the same HP, but had a higher TQ rating. The manuals still carried on with the 3.0L version. A popular swap is the 3.2 block with 3.0 heads on the manuals. 1993 also had a redesigned dash.

The 1994 SHO's scrapped the auto for a newer auto design that was stronger. The manuals still used the Mazda transaxle.

1996 SHO's were the first year of the V8 versions. They weren't any quicker than the V6 models, despite putting slightly more power to the ground and being slightly lighter.

V6 SHO engines are strong but far from reliable. They cost alot to maintain, requiring a hefty $$ every 60k for a valve-lash adjustment and more. They are boost friendly and can handle up to 500fwhp on stock internals. The V8's have cam sprocket problems and have been known to destroy themselves.
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:54 PM   #10

I've had my SHO for about a year as a daily driver and had no major issues. Only thing I changed on it was a starter. Other than that its been flawless. My brother works for a Ford Dealer so I have no problems getting Motorcraft parts for it. I love the engine thats about it.
s2ktonv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #11
"Always A Sleeper"

Send a message via AIM to Forrealjohnson
I had a 1991 Taurus SHO Plus Five speed and loved it. It is expensive to work on, but if you do the 60K service and change all gaskets and ect. They are dependable. I never had one problem with mine. It was a beast. Sell the Stang and Supercharge the Sho.
HFP Suspension
04 TL Rear Sway Bar
OEM Body Kit
35% Tint
Forrealjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:11 PM   #12
Its just a Taurus....

Who said SHO's dont come from Ford? Yes they do. Its still a Ford make/model, but with a Yamaha motor.

The SHO was discontinued in '99.

Yes, finding parts for it can be hard and costly. Just walk your local junkyards and pink-n-pulls and you will most likelt find a few SHOs in which you can pull some parts off of. Alot of SHo owners by another SHO for a parts car. For what you cant find, there is websites such as www.SHOForum.com where you can talk to other SHO enthusiasts from around the globe and get all the technical information you need as well as info on SHO meets. For performance/maintanence parts/labor you can check out www.shoshop.com and www.cincysho.com.

Alot of SHOs are known to reach 200,000 miles on the original motor. IF it has been well maintained then you will love your SHO. For most of us, its a love/hate relationship. If you have another Stang, then i'd say go with the SHO. It will be alot of work to keep her happy maintanence wise. As for modding, there is only 2 Turbo SHOs that are known of any only a handful of Supercharged SHOs. They are in the 400-500HP range, and smoke Corvette ZO6's and other rides daily. BUT, you WILL spend ALOT of money to get a SHO with some kind of FI... ALOT more than you'd spend on a Mustang/Civic etc etc.

Lets see some pics of the SHO if you get it, as well as a list of mods!
One_Bad_SHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in