Any good Taurus (non-SHO) sites out there? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:23 PM   #1
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Any good Taurus (non-SHO) sites out there?

My uncle just got a 1998 Ford Taurus with the Duratech V6 and I'd like to learn more about it. Are there any good sites out there similar to V6P for the Ford Taurus? Thanks in advance for your help
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #2

www.taurusclub.com has lots of info, its the only non-sho Taurus board I know of.
jtkz13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #3
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Thanks for the link

I see you're a member there It seems you're the only person that has run a near-stock Taurus at the track. Your time is pretty darn impressive, especially the 60' Your time is kind of surprising to me though, because my uncle's car (he has a well-maintained '98 SE Duratech with only 50k miles on the clock) just doesn't feel like a low 16-second car. My Accord, which is probably a mid-16 second car (i.e. slow ), feels like it pulls quite a bit harder than his Taurus in the mid-range and high-end. Their low-end is similar which is even more surprising because I expected the Taurus to have a LOT more low-end grunt than my weaksauce AV6 It doesn't make sense. According to the dyno numbers I've seen, the Duratech V6 has much more torque than the J30A1 (160WTQ vs. 145WTQ) and they both make about the same power (150WHP). Their gearing and weight are similar, too. Maybe the Taurus just feels slower than it is? Oh well, I'll just have to race him to see which one is actually the quickest

Old December 30th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #4
M62B44tu powaH!

How is the low-rpm curve before the butterfly valves switch over to their short runners? My moms old 'tec doesn't wake up until then (IIRC 3,200rpms).
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #5
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max on This
How is the low-rpm curve before the butterfly valves switch over to their short runners? My moms old 'tec doesn't wake up until then (IIRC 3,200rpms).
I wish I knew

Like the AV6, you have to start the dyno at 4000+ rpm to avoid a downshift into 2nd gear. So I've only seen the curve from 4000 and up and as far as I know, no one's done a 2nd gear dyno in a 'tec.

The Taurus feels a lot like the AV6 in the low-end though. Just going by the ole butt dyno I'd swear that their torque curves were the same shape. I punched it at about 3000 rpm in 2nd gear (no downshift, just like my AV6 ) and didn't feel it start to pull harder until about 3500, reaching peak thrust at about 4500. Just like my AV6
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:54 PM   #6

Well, the Taurus tranny loves to take FOREVER when shifting at WOT, so it doesnt feel that fast. Plus, the Duratec is pretty muted when compared to other OHC V6's, so it doesnt sound that fast.

I probably could have gotten some high 15's out of mine if I had run it with the stock wheels/tires. I had heavy 17's that cost me at least 1-2 tenths and a mph or two.

As far as the AV6 vs. DOHC Taurus, its a pretty even match. Both are pretty tq-less smaller displacement V6's straddled with a power sapping automatic. The winner is dictated by the person whom can get to 4k rpm first without spinning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jtkz13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in