Is this motor half decent? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #1

Is this motor half decent?

I own a 1990 Buick Century with a 3.3L v6 M.P.F.I.

Is this motor reliable or should i scrap it now?
Does this motor have the potential of being powerful or fast?
Does anyone know where i can find a freakin turbocharger for this engine?
What is a safe redline for this motor, horsepower rating, torque rating or any other kinds of specs?

I would greatly appreciate any help or information yall could give me.

P.S. this is my first post on this site.

Do yall call this an "uncommon" car to customize
stoned_pimp420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #2

if they make TEINS for your buick century, then you should slam that mothafuKKa.

haha
nodoubt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #3
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
yes - scrap it

no

no, waste of time and money

grandma car, haven't really seen it in any GT races, no need for specs

very uncommon car to customize. but if you you're bored, and dont mind throwing away some cash, go for it!

sorry. if you are trying to go for a good bang for the buck, you could sell that car (considering what shape it's in) pick up a late 90's Honda Hatch, do a motor swap w/ turbo for relitively cheap. and be on your merry way. if you want to stay domestic, do something odd, that is really fast. look into a Chrysler K car with the turbo motor. granted the motor is a mitsubishi, but no one else has to know that. good luck.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 1st, 2004, 10:27 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Kovster Send a message via MSN to Kovster Send a message via Yahoo to Kovster
If your looking for an american car, find a Grand Prix/Monte Carlo with a 3.8 or 3.4 DOHC, or ya could go all out and get an GTP with the 3.8 Supercharged.
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM   #5
Boosted!

Send a message via AIM to ComptechV6
If your a buick person sell it and get a grand national which r turboed or regal turbo model

both r very quick for grandparents cars
ComptechV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:27 AM   #6
TQ challenged

Quote:
I own a 1990 Buick Century with a 3.3L v6 M.P.F.I.
No mod potential at all.

If you're into old Buicks, get a 1996 Buick Roadmaster . It has the same 350 engine as the Impala SS. With 260Hp , Grandma in this land yacht can smoke the rear tires down to the belts with ease .

The 350 Chevy has tons of mod parts for it. With I/H/E= 300+HP you'll have the sleeper car supreme, your own Buick Roadmaster SS !
Add in aluminum heads and cams , you'll have a close to 400hp Monster Buick as a daily driver!
ironmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:28 AM   #7
Boosted!

yea i forgot about the buick roadmaster that engine is a beast mad gas eater my dad had one but traded it in
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:21 PM   #8
BULLPOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmonkey
No mod potential at all.

If you're into old Buicks, get a 1996 Buick Roadmaster . It has the same 350 engine as the Impala SS. With 260Hp , Grandma in this land yacht can smoke the rear tires down to the belts with ease .

The 350 Chevy has tons of mod parts for it. With I/H/E= 300+HP you'll have the sleeper car supreme, your own Buick Roadmaster SS !
Add in aluminum heads and cams , you'll have a close to 400hp Monster Buick as a daily driver!

LT1 motor runs very strong. you can put hard miles on that motor and it will still love you. if i'm not mistaken, that particualar LT1 (in the SS, Roadmaster, Caprice Classic Police Edition) not only had 260hp, but had an amazing 330tq.

if this is what you end up with, be warey of the tranny. the 700R4 starts getting weak with miles. have a good tranny guy go through it and put a shift kit in. wont be too expensive and it'll make it snap your neck when it goes through gears.
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:38 PM   #9
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I take it that with a 1990 Buick Century you're either a) very young, b) have very little money, or c) both. In which case, don't bother wasting your money on something so pointless. It's just a car. Save it for something better like education - then you can buy whatever car you want.

For car specs, www.edmunds.com or http://autos.msn.com
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:42 PM   #10
Boosted!

yea they do have problems with the trannys thas y my dad traded it in. but it depends not alll of them r bad
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:04 AM   #11
BULLPOO

in general, the 700R4 starts to splip at anywhere from 60k - 80k miles. same thing with the 4L60E. GMs V8s have pretty high amounts of torque, which tends to spawn the tranny problems. the 4L80E and the Allison are pretty much bullit proof though. My next truck (somewhere far down the road when i can afford more than one car) will be a Chevy/GMC 2500HD with a diesel. the Allison tranny is a must have.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:07 AM   #12
Boosted!

im actually thinking of selling my av6 and getting 1987 buick grand national x type plus i would need about an extra 30grand
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:47 PM   #13
NEvans

Send a message via AIM to soldierdude262
before i got my accord V6 i had a '90 cutlass cierra with the same 3.3L engine. granted there are absolutely no ugrade options but that car was very quick, i've never had anyone on a civic or accord I4 take me in that car and when the roads were wet i beat my best freinds camaro V6
soldierdude262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:21 PM   #14
Its just a Taurus....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I take it that with a 1990 Buick Century you're either a) very young, b) have very little money, or c) both. In which case, don't bother wasting your money on something so pointless. It's just a car. Save it for something better like education - then you can buy whatever car you want.

For car specs, www.edmunds.com or http://autos.msn.com

EXACTLY. If your young trying to get into the racing scene you will just get laughed at in a Buick. Hell, I have a Ford Taurus SHO that smokes most imports (stock for stock) but I still get laughed at cuz its a "taurus". To hell with the haters if you dont care what people think about you or your ride. My suggestions tho, would be to just drive what was most likely given to you how it is meant to be driven. Continuie with school and in the long run you will be able to afford something you cant even imagine youd ever own at the moment. If by chance you are in the position to save up some money while going to HS/College, then theres 2 options that I'd reccomend. One would be to save up a few grand and buy something already somewhat fast that you dont have to spend too much money or time on, such as an older GT Mustang, Camaro.... you catch my drift. The other option would be to save up a few grand and buy a CRX shell, b18 (?) motor with Turbo, and do all the work yourself. Cheap perfromance, but fast nonetheless. Both options are cheap and give you luxery of having a daily driver to rely on for everyday commute and a project car for the weekends. I wouldnt, however, suggest modding the Buick or getting yourself into a new/used vehicle that would increase your confidence and put you in the scene you so highly desire, but also bring you down with car payments and more responsibility. Good luck.
One_Bad_SHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in