When timing chains go bad... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Back to boost...

Send a message via AIM to nc00max
When timing chains go bad...

Bent valves and "dinged" pistons.

This keeps getting better and better.

Haven't torn into the timing chain cover yet, but I think it's fairly obvious what happened. My friend Rhett wins the prize for best guess.

So I arrive at the choice to get new stock valves and rebuild these heads, or get some new heads. Well, fortunately my parts guy has a set of L32 heads ('04 GTP) that came off an engine with 47 miles on it, and L32 heads are a mild improvement with slightly bigger valves. I can still P&P these a little myself and not hve to worry about rebuilding them. Still going to run me more, but he cut me a deal since I already bought a short block from him and they'll ship with that. Here's some super fun pics.

Front head off. Left the rear one on since it might as well come out with the rest of the engine.

And the pistons. Look close and you can see the 1/2" long circular gashes from the intake valves. These are deep too, and if you were to run your finger across the top you'd probably need a tetanus shot soon thereafter.

Pieces and parts. Yes, I know that I am a slob.

Hmmm...something doesn't look quite right here....

Here's what it's supposed to look like...

Fun, fun, fun. Anyways, block and heads ought to be here Friday as well as all the new gaskets, bolts, single roller chain, etc. The new engine will be put together on the stand by next weekend. Should be an improvement since the thinner MLS gaskets should bump compression a smidge, worth about 10hp, plus the bigger valves and a mild P&P on the heads. I'm also changing out my PCM to one with higher rev limiters and shift points, plus I can edit it. Should be better for tuning too. I'd like to get the new engine into the car next weekend, though I work 6+ days a week, so who knows.

If anyone's curious, this was all the result of a botched cam install that I paid someone to do. I figured I'd try to save myself some time that I don't really have, and now it's costing me quite a bit. As a result I bent two pushrods as well due to improperly tightened rocker bolts, then finally this (found the new timing chain I'd given him to install still in the parts box). Sucks, but I'm going to try and make the most of it. Considering the damned thing ran a [email protected] with a piss poor 60', no tuning, pump gas, and at that time the loose rockers, I'm dying to get it back together and back out to the track.

'00 Grand Prix GTP-my new canvas. [email protected] with FWI in 80* weather, now to start modding...
nc00max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #2
M62B44tu powaH!

I agree, this doesn't look right

looking at the middle cylinder, it looks as though the exhaust valve clearly has a dent in it. Not only that, but why isn't the intake valve all pink like the other two? was it misfiring at all?
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #3
Back to boost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max on This
I agree, this doesn't look right

looking at the middle cylinder, it looks as though the exhaust valve clearly has a dent in it. Not only that, but why isn't the intake valve all pink like the other two? was it misfiring at all?
No misfire, and no idea why the valve is different. I've never seen the results of a broke timing chain before, so I can only imagine the issues it'd cause. That piston took the biggest hit and has the biggest and deepest gash in it. That intake valve also looks the worst and has quite the dented head, though dunno what that'd have to do with the exhaust valve being different that the others. It's not so much a dent, but a spot on the valve that's not covered in the nastiness on the rest of the head.

The #1 piston had about 25% leakdown and was getting a sick amount of blowby, plus was the cylinder with the 2 bent pushrods and loose rocker bolts. Smoke would come out of the valve cover breather at a pretty decent rate, and it sure as **** wasn't there before the install, that's way too hard to miss. Then there was the rattling noise. The install mechanic most definitely hasn't seen the last of me.

I didn't really have the extra $2k around to drop on this, so out came the credit card for part of it. The other PITA issue is time, I have way too little to be ****ing around with the car like this. Should be nice once I get it back together though. I'll get a nice gain just from the bigger valves and mild port/polish job on the heads along with the compression bump, but I forsee a pretty nice bump with the new block since it'll be devoid of the massive compression loss that my current one has. Still wish I'd never had to do it though.

'00 Grand Prix GTP-my new canvas. [email protected] with FWI in 80* weather, now to start modding...

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I would be ready to shoot the guy that did your cam install.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #5
TQ challenged

Quote:
I would be ready to shoot the guy that did your cam install.

Good et...faster than a 4wd EVO or STI !
The poor 60' means you must be spinning the tires all though first gear !
All I can say is that's damm fast on 5 1/2 cylinders for a big hunk of American iron.
Can't wait to see the results with all cylinders firing.
ironmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #6
Back to boost...

Well, made a butt ton of progress today, which was good since I ended up losing Thursday to work, Friday to Enterprise f-ing up my reservation, and I won't have Monday since work is again going to put it IMB. So I'm in no rush, but it went pretty good I think. Here's some pics in random order.

The old block. Sorry the pic's dark, it was uh, dark.

Mess 'o parts

Rear header and dissassembled front head

Hmmm, something doesn't look right about this....

I guess it's a good thing I'm painting the garage after this. It's starting to look a little rough...

The new and hopefully improved block

The new and definitely improved heads

So yeah, tomorrow I'll finish the block reassembly, dunno if I'll try to stuff it back into the bay or not though. If I had Monday off, the ***** would be running again this weekend, but guess the final stages will have to wait till next weekend.

Old February 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #7
Back to boost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmonkey

Good et...faster than a 4wd EVO or STI !
The poor 60' means you must be spinning the tires all though first gear !
All I can say is that's damm fast on 5 1/2 cylinders for a big hunk of American iron.
Can't wait to see the results with all cylinders firing.
Yeah, lots of wheelspin, and our track tends to be a little on the slow side thanks to altitude. Stock Evos and STi's don't worry me at all, it's once they start playing with the turbo...

Old February 19th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #8
M62B44tu powaH!

Hey, it doesn't look like you guys have a 'flex' section, or at least thats the impression that I'm getting from the rear header picture. It looks as though you guys use a 'Buick" ball
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #9
Back to boost...

It's a half-assed flex, does the job well enough though. Some DP's come with a mesh-style flex, mine is the Random Tech DP.

Had to get a new bottom motor mount, the one we pulled out was annihilated, like shredded and fluid oozing out. Never had a chance.

The thing holding me up now is the stupid cam interrupt magnet. Damn thing was cracked when we pulled it out, and it's not exactly something commonly stocked, plus it's Prez Day weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in