Series I 3800 swap - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:40 PM   #1

Series I 3800 swap

I own a 1990 Buick Century with a 3300 in it, but the 3300 prolly won't hold together much longer. I went and bought a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE with the Series I 3800 (sorry I don't know the technical name) but I was wondering if anyone has ANY info on this engine, what kind of gains I can expect from this swap, what kind of potential this motor has and so on. I already know I'll have to swap the wiring harnesses between the two cars but that's not a concern, I'm just concerned about the reliablity and potential of this engine. Thankx for the info!

P.S. If it helps I'll be rebuilding it because the Pontiac has 271,8xx miles on it, any help or suggestions about the rebuild would also be appreciated!
stoned_pimp420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:37 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TDotCord
LOL....when I read the title...I assume it was going into an Accord LOL! I was almost thinking WTF?

well as for the numbers...my old ride was a 1990 Buick LeSabre LTD...I absolutely loved it. It was like cruising around in a lazyboy!!

my buick had a 3.8 liter pushrod V6...(231 cu I think)....numbers were like 165hp and 220 lbs/ft torque...other specs I'll need to look it up.

it was a torquey bastard....nice power to boot.. I don't know if it's a straight drop in or no though....

I believe it was the same 3.8 liter motor in a lot of GM cars at the time,

Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Supreme, Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Prix, Buick Park Ave, Regal, Reatta, Eighty-Eight, Ninety-Eight etc.

it's a good motor...the buick is still running strong...though the body is showing signs of age
TDotCord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #3
An Old Racer

stoned_pimp420,

Your 3800 Series I has quite a LOT of reliability and performance potential!! This engine is derived from the old Buick 231 V6, origianally developped in the '60's. It was used in the Buick Grand National in SC form (Super Charged). There is quite a bit that can be done to make it GO!!

Here are a couple of links to give you some info on your engine:

http://www.lesabret.com/engine.html

http://psychcentral.com/psypsych/GM_3800_engine

If you do a search for Buick V6 performance, or something along that line, you can find quite a bit about it. This engine has been used in all the GM car lines. Chevy, Olds, and Pontiac all have used this engine.

The newer Series II and Series III are all derived from this motor (altho they aren't the same).

Hope this helps some,
Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stops!!
Champ2x36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in