My V6 3.8L VT Holden Commodore - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #1

My V6 3.8L VT Holden Commodore *UPDATED*

Here is my pride and joy

It's a 1998 VT Commodore, 3.8 Lt V6 Producing over 195kw now

Mods so far...

Aunger CAI unit
1:8:1 Yella Terra Roller rockers
Higher Diff Ratio from 3.08 to 3.73
Pace Maker Extractors
2.25 Titanium exhaust system -Gone
2.25 Inch dual Magnaflow exhaust system with Catco resonators - Great System !!
330mm HSV Brakes
Hiigh Output ECU system
Sound System - DVD player and 7" LCD screen comming up !!

There is still a lot of work to be done but slowly it's getting there....

Some new pics !!

Way Way back when I bought it...

Interior...

Some Various Shots..

Okie thats enuff pics 4 now

Last edited by 12393; September 2nd, 2005 at 05:06 AM..
12393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #2

"I come from a land down under"

Haha nice car man, i had the American cousin of your car. the cadillac catera.

I always tried to get parts for it from Australia and from Steinmetz in Germany but was unsuccessfull. Car ended up having many mechanical problems including going through 2 engines. It was a fun ass first car though being rwd and luxurious as hell, i still own it but its been siting at this body shop for over a yr and 1/2 ever since the second engine blew, i have to do something about that btw.

Is also simular to the newer Pontiac GTO (cept for the hp), but not too many people know about that .

My Caddy
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Domestic driver

so im gonna guess that youre in Aussie??? nice commodore. were getting that car here soon as the impala, but i think its a redesigned one.

hey, ive looked at your sounddomain site before, your car is pimp. nuf sed.

oh oh thats the same 3800 series thats in my daily driver, but my car is FWD.

i like your name for headers, extractors...its a classier name for them.
custom grand am is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #4

Raddy - Thats a nice caddy we call them the "Statesman" here - They are a luxury sedan, and usually come with the 5.7lt LS1 engine, the V6 supercharged is an option, but due to it's weight the 5.7lt is a more popular choice.

Custom Grand Am - don't get me started lol we have so many different names for our parts ie; u say hood, we say bonnet.... etc. LoL

We have for the commodore......

VN-VS 1989-1996 3800 series engine
VT-VY 1997-2003 Ecotec V6 series engine
VE current Alloytec V6 engine

I hear you guys can gain some serious performance out of the 3800 engines ?
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Interesting car. Looks like it's based off of the USDM Chevy Lumina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSsMaXiMuS

Yeah, I've heard that the 3800 series can gain some good power. The supercharged versions are even better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #6
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
the lumina was FWD. it's acually the same thing as what raddy had, the catera. remember, "the caddy the zigs"?
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder
the lumina was FWD. it's acually the same thing as what raddy had, the catera. remember, "the caddy the zigs"?
haha what?
your saying the lumina and caddy are the same?
Or the holden and the caddy are the same?

b/c its def the later of the two heh, catera was RWD and fun as shiit to drive.
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #8
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
no no no... i know the lumina is not the same. the caddy and the holden are the same. opel also has or had the same car.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
no no no... i know the lumina is not the same. the caddy and the holden are the same. opel also has or had the same car.

haha ok good i thought u were saying the caddy was like the lumina and was like aww naww haha
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #10
Domestic driver

hey bassmaximus...do you guys have an equivalent to my car over there in aussie? check out my webpage...i think i left you a message on sounddomain like over a year ago.
custom grand am is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #11
Back to boost...

Send a message via AIM to nc00max
Quote:
Raddy - Thats a nice caddy we call them the "Statesman" here - They are a luxury sedan, and usually come with the 5.7lt LS1 engine, the V6 supercharged is an option, but due to it's weight the 5.7lt is a more popular choice.

Custom Grand Am - don't get me started lol we have so many different names for our parts ie; u say hood, we say bonnet.... etc. LoL

Yeah, there's a few things out there for the 3.8's. Is yours an L36? There's n/a 12 second L36 Grand Prix's, and there's a world of forced induction goodies. If you have the L36, I'd look into a turbo kit, there's a few different options available. As long as you essentially have the same stuff we do here, check out www.zzperformance.com, www.pfyc.com, and www.wbodystore.com to start with.

I don't really know much at all about the overseas brethren, but if you have the same drivetrain as our w-bodies here, then there's a lot of stuff you can do.

'00 Grand Prix GTP-my new canvas. [email protected] with FWI in 80* weather, now to start modding...
nc00max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #12
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Oh, his car is RWD. Don't mind me .

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc00max
Yeah, there's a few things out there for the 3.8's. Is yours an L36? There's n/a 12 second L36 Grand Prix's, and there's a world of forced induction goodies. If you have the L36, I'd look into a turbo kit, there's a few different options available. As long as you essentially have the same stuff we do here, check out www.zzperformance.com, www.pfyc.com, and www.wbodystore.com to start with.

I don't really know much at all about the overseas brethren, but if you have the same drivetrain as our w-bodies here, then there's a lot of stuff you can do.
Yeah I have the L36, what I am looking for is the L67 which came out with the supercharged version V6, basically better/stronger pistons and lower compression.

Im a bit weary of hooking up a turbo setup to the L36 engine, as my friends engine blew up due to high pinging, after he had his turbo installed, mind you this happened when he was running 10 psi "25psi potential"... he found a Supercharged L67 short motor and he's never looked back

I'll have a look at those sites thanks !!

Last edited by 12393; August 6th, 2005 at 09:46 AM..
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #14
Back to boost...

Quote:
Yeah I have the L36, what I am looking for is the L67 which came out with the supercharged version V6, basically better/stronger pistons and lower compression.

Im a bit weary of hooking up a turbo setup to the L36 engine, as my friends engine blew up due to high pinging, after he had his turbo installed, mind you this happened when he was running 10 psi "25psi potential"... he found a Supercharged L67 short motor and he's never looked back

I'll have a look at those sites thanks !!
Actually, the L67 is no stronger than the L36, it's only advantage boost-wise is the lower compression. As long as you're tuned right, these motors can handle tons of power, tuning and detonation are the huge issue. The M90 supercharger on the L67 is decent but not terribly efficient. What people are doing nowdays is swapping out to higher compression pistons if they're keeping the M90 because they can make the same power with less boost and keep the M90 in a more efficient range heat wise. What happens is, when you start going to little itty-bitty pullies so you can dig that last extra bit of power out, the damned thing gets hot as hell and that causes a ton of issues.

There's a couple ways people have been raising compression. One is to buy the forged 9.5:1 ratio pistons and rebuild the short block with those. This is more expensive and time consuming, but I have yet to see anyone pop a forged piston, so it essentially bulletproof's the motor. That's the route I'm going right now. I didn't pop a piston, I had someone hose up a cam install, but I'm going to make the motor as beefy as possible. The other was is buying an L36 short block and swapping it in. The ZZP car uses the stock M90 s/c along with a 100% stock L36 bottom end and runs 10's in street trim. Goes to show, with some good tuning, a lot is possible on completely stock parts. Actually, most of the guys running 10's, low 11's and the like are using stock bottom ends.

Now, this is all assuming you have the stock s/c that came with the L67, if you're going to a different power adder such as a turbo, you are better off running lower compression. Most of my experience derives from the stock s/c that came with the car. Even still, the issues you'd have with a boosted L36 block and its higher compression are only going to be marginally worse than with the lower compression L67. Either one can handle a ton of power if tuned right. If you want to go completely hardcore, just get a set of 8.0:1 forged pistons, turbo, and never look back.
Old August 6th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #15

Thanks for the advice nc00max, my other possible route was to get the m90 supercharger, they do come as standard on the L67 block so I could get the whole package from the wreckers, Holden have stopped manufacturing the short L67 motor now.

You mentioned that you guys run the smaller pulleys, what sort of PSI has been achieved down your end ? I know that there is a company here in Aus producing 10psi pulleys.

This in conjunction with a good tune and front mount intercooler would produce some low 13's but no where as close to the golden 12's or 11's

Might have a browse at some American sites and maybe pick some peoples brains... once again thanks for your help.
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #16
Back to boost...

Quote:
Thanks for the advice nc00max, my other possible route was to get the m90 supercharger, they do come as standard on the L67 block so I could get the whole package from the wreckers, Holden have stopped manufacturing the short L67 motor now.

You mentioned that you guys run the smaller pulleys, what sort of PSI has been achieved down your end ? I know that there is a company here in Aus producing 10psi pulleys.

This in conjunction with a good tune and front mount intercooler would produce some low 13's but no where as close to the golden 12's or 11's

Might have a browse at some American sites and maybe pick some peoples brains... once again thanks for your help.
Yeah, here you can get an entire L67 engine sans accessories for $1000-2000 depending on miles, so L67 swaps are relatively common. Though now with the advent of more and better forced induction for the L36 kids going turbo or centrifugal s/c is becoming a better option if you don't already have the L67. One thing I was curious about though, aren't the Commodores RWD? That would make a few of the mods available here not usable, i.e. the turbo manifolds, but we have n/a L36's with heads/cam packages well into the 13's and the fastest in the 12's, and that's with FWD.

I daily drive about 11psi, though I know some people run 15 or so daily, and others in the 18+ range. Mods like cam, headers, and intercooler all decrease boost, so I run a 2.8 inch pulley to get 11psi. That's part of the reason I'm going to higher compression pistons, otherwise I'd have to go down to like a 2.55 or 2.6 inch pulley, and that's way beyond the effective range for the M90. I'll be looking for low-mid 12's off the bottle on street tires, and God willing, high 11's with slicks or some funny gas. I could go quicker with an easier route, but I want to stay in full street trim as much as possible and keep the car completely daily drivable.

'00 Grand Prix GTP-my new canvas. [email protected] with FWI in 80* weather, now to start modding...
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc00max
Yeah, here you can get an entire L67 engine sans accessories for $1000-2000 depending on miles, so L67 swaps are relatively common. Though now with the advent of more and better forced induction for the L36 kids going turbo or centrifugal s/c is becoming a better option if you don't already have the L67. One thing I was curious about though, aren't the Commodores RWD? That would make a few of the mods available here not usable, i.e. the turbo manifolds, but we have n/a L36's with heads/cam packages well into the 13's and the fastest in the 12's, and that's with FWD.

I daily drive about 11psi, though I know some people run 15 or so daily, and others in the 18+ range. Mods like cam, headers, and intercooler all decrease boost, so I run a 2.8 inch pulley to get 11psi. That's part of the reason I'm going to higher compression pistons, otherwise I'd have to go down to like a 2.55 or 2.6 inch pulley, and that's way beyond the effective range for the M90. I'll be looking for low-mid 12's off the bottle on street tires, and God willing, high 11's with slicks or some funny gas. I could go quicker with an easier route, but I want to stay in full street trim as much as possible and keep the car completely daily drivable.

That is a good price for the SC engine complete..... mind you in my perfect world I would prefer a totally new engine.

Yep, our commodores are RWD, I had a look at some head/cam packages from ZZ performance, the prices sound good, it's just the postage and import duties that I would have to worry about, I have a friend that bought some engine goodies from the US and paid $500 in shipping plus a few hundred in import duties, he is building a twin turbo L67 engine, another guy is building a 8L ls1 engine in the USA obviously money isn't an issue with some hehehehe......

I am still relativley new to the whole performance thing, I was primarily concerned with the asthetics when I took up this hobby, now being happy with my outer package I would like to have a crack at the engine, like u said though I would like something that could be used everyday, as I need to use this car for work.

Your getting some great times, any traction issues with the FWD ?

Cheers

Tom
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #18
Back to boost...

Horrible traction issues with FWD, though I'm still running street tires. I prefer to race it the same way I daily drive it. Handling over 400fptq with the stock tranny can cause some fits too.

We have the same issues here with getting performance stuff from overseas, I remember that with my Maxima. Maybe if you had a group deal or something going, does that make any difference on import fees?

Here there's no reliability difference or strength between the L36 and L67, a couple vendors have proved that. Lower compression is more beneficial with a turbo or CSC, but lots of people run boost on the stock L36 block without issues, it's all in the tuning. Tune it well and the either engine can take a pretty decent beating.

Old November 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM   #19

Quote:
That is a good price for the SC engine complete..... mind you in my perfect world I would prefer a totally new engine.

Yep, our commodores are RWD, I had a look at some head/cam packages from ZZ performance, the prices sound good, it's just the postage and import duties that I would have to worry about, I have a friend that bought some engine goodies from the US and paid $500 in shipping plus a few hundred in import duties, he is building a twin turbo L67 engine, another guy is building a 8L ls1 engine in the USA obviously money isn't an issue with some hehehehe......

I am still relativley new to the whole performance thing, I was primarily concerned with the asthetics when I took up this hobby, now being happy with my outer package I would like to have a crack at the engine, like u said though I would like something that could be used everyday, as I need to use this car for work.

Your getting some great times, any traction issues with the FWD ?

Cheers

Tom

Hey there guys,

Stattama and ZZPerfomance have just finished up a twin turbo L67. They are in the process of tuning it right now. It is simply amazing.
Check it out.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...de=&s=#2634533

www.clubgp.com has alot of information to help you out in your quest.

Good luck. Mate
ydrsbtr97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #20

hey, hows it goin

i was just wondering how much ur headlights set u back

im about 2 buy a 98 vt and just checkin wat i can do to it
Norco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #21

nice looking commy man,
i have the 3.8 commy engine in my surf, its from a vn or vr. . i think?, not sure lol
v6-surf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #22

Means you wana sell it now..hehehehe..
Sorry just joking but really nice car i'hv also dried this but 2 years ago.
My father was great lover of this commodore but now he is using AUDI Q5 but this is also his 5th car and before this he has alredy used commodore v8 and vs well i want to show you few more information about holden commodore
joni007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in