Anyone familiar with SHO's? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #1
Back to boost...

Send a message via AIM to nc00max
Anyone familiar with SHO's? **Now with test drive and story**

Just curious. I'm looking at getting a beater car to avoid putting miles on the rebuilt GTP engine, but I'd like to get something remotely fun. I've always been curious about SHO's, but never really took time to look. Anyways, a co-worker's brother has a '91 5spd with 131k on it, and he'll sell it to me for insanely cheap. Says he doesn't have any mechanical issues and the clutch is good. It's beige (bleh!) but I can live with that. So yeah, just curious as to what kind of issues I can start to expect with that mileage. I know the Yamaha motor is supposed to be pretty stout, but I just want to make sure I'm not in for too many surprises with it.

Last edited by nc00max; August 16th, 2005 at 11:36 PM..
nc00max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #2

they are bulletproof motors for the most part. ive heard that the Cams? have to be changed at like 60k or they melt or something.
Epyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #3
Back to boost...

I think the V8 ones had the issues with the cams breaking or something to the sorts, but I don't remember the V6 ones having that issue.

Old August 13th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #4
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc00max
I think the V8 ones had the issues with the cams breaking or something to the sorts, but I don't remember the V6 ones having that issue.
Yeah, it was the V8 motors.

Some SHO info: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=43016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #5
Back to boost...

I really don't care for the way it looks on the outside, but I could get over that if the motor is still good. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and take it for a spin. Never been in a SHO, so it should be interesting, I hear lots of good things about the motor. With those looks and that motor, definitely an enthusiast's car. Since it's a coworker/friend's brother, I should be able to get it for insanely cheap, which will play a part as well. I'm really only considering it because my friend was talking to his brother about it and the brother was saying how it's hard to sell a manual Taurus like that one since the only people who actually want them are the weird enthusiasts, at which point my friend apparently instantly thought of me. I don't need a replacement for the GTP for daily driving, just considering it. If the price is right, I might indulge my curiosity and have something else to put miles on. I'm still making double payments on my mortgage, so I'd like to keep that up and not spend much on a new car when the two I have work just fine. But I will take on a new car if it can suit my enthusiast and financial desires at the same time.
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #6
I hate my Ford

Send a message via AIM to timdastis
i raced some guy in one bone stock once with my i/e and he kept up pretty well
timdastis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #7

Things to consider when buying a pre 1996 SHO

1. Strut Bearing plates in the rear are stamped steel and should be replaced with better ones made by NAPA

2. Brakes on this car SUCK. To resolve this issue gets the brakes from a 1996+ car as the spindles and such bolt right in

3. Change the subframe bolts to solid ones used by the pilice package

Do those 3 things and you will have a very sweet ride

Some other things that will help but are not as serious as the 3 listed above

1. reinforce "H" brace at the rear of the car
2. Strut braces in the front and rear
3. weld some reinforcements along the unit body
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #8

I want to get a retired crown vic P71..and put CV, police antennas, lights and rhino push bar. I hear good things about them (extremely cheap maintance, and pretty fast) i wouldnt mind having that as a fun car. I could scare so many people
blackhawk411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #9

although i think i recognize youre username from shoforum, you can PM me any questions you have about SHOs, i've owned 3 so far, a stock 89, stock 95 MTC, and now highly modified 95 MTX
thedutchtouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in