Stevtec, input required please. (domestic v6 powerplants vs J32) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #1
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
Stevtec, input required please. (domestic v6 powerplants vs J32)

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...item_id=490348

i was trying to defend the domestics on this front, but sort of owned myself with the TL numbers. any inputs on how i can still show that the domestic powerplant has a chance?

Re: TL Sales Up
OwAce wrote:they should buy the impala then, or the malibu, or even the new ford fusion.

better mpg and better power delivery and more room. the looks from the chevy dept are lacking though. the fusion/zephyr/milan are gorgeous though.
Are you really serious? The TL easily bests any of those cars. The Fusion has equal economy, but consideribly less power. The V8 Impala SS has more power but less economy while the V6 Impala has about the same power and still less economy. The TL will drive circles around all those cars in handling too.

OwAce
Profile for OwAce
Re: TL Sales Up

http://www.motortrend.com/features/n...06/112_news51/

this 3.5 liter engine will be fords v6 in all v6 equipped cars in 6 months time.

Horsepower/kW @ engine RPM 211/157 @ 5,800
Torque (lb.-ft./N-m) @ RPM 214/290 @ 4,000
MPG 21/31

Horsepower/kW @ engine RPM 242/328 @ 4,400
Torque (lb.-ft./N-m) @ RPM 242/181 @ 6,000
MPG 19/27

Horsepower/kW @ engine RPM 323/438 @ 4,400
Torque (lb.-ft./N-m) @ RPM 303/226 @ 5,600
MPG 18/28

Acura TL [email protected]
[email protected]
20/29
ACURA FTW!!!!!!!!!
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove. In this thread you seem to be asking more about engines, and that thread seems to be more about cars as a whole. There's plenty of room for argument on domestic vs Honda and other import engines whether you're talking about maximum power or fuel consumption or both, and that's for both current and historical engines also. GM in particular has a long history of powerful yet efficient engines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #3
indoctidiscant

i guess what i was trying to show was how the impala (compares to the TL), is better in terms of 1) power and 2) efficiency hand in hand.

Old February 7th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #4

I don't think that the Impala which is a value-minded full-sized $20k car is really all that good of a comparison with the TL which is a mid-sized near-lux $30k car. The best engine to compare with the J32A3 is GM's LY7 3.6L DOHC V6 which is used in the Cadillac CTS. If you apply the following completely non-scientific formula to get a "rough idea" of the power and efficiency combo that the engine delivers you get the following results:

[(Peak HP + Peak TQ)/2] x [(City MPG + Hwy MPG)/2] = Overall Power & Efficiency Index

GM 3.6L DOHC V6: 5703
Acura J32A3 V6: 5892

The Acura does get a slight edge just based on that formula, but the GM 3.6 should also get bonus points for the following:

- makes peak torque at only 3100 rpm vs 5000 for the Acura
- is rated on and only requires regular fuel vs premium for the Acura
- uses a timing chain which doesn't need replacing vs a belt on the Acura

Based on that alone I would much rather have the GM 3.6 engine. The CTS is also handicapped a bit on the EPA highway cycle due to the fact that the CTS is a bit less aerodynamic than the TL is with a Cd of 0.31 vs 0.28. That contributes to better highway mileage on the TL which has everything to do with body design and nothing to do with the engine. I'm not sure what the gearing and shift mapping looks like on the Cadillac either, but that can also have a significant impact on fuel economy. The CTS uses the GM Hydramatic 5L40-E transmission, which is the same one that BMW used in a lot of their own cars so it's probably a safe bet that the gearing is more on the aggressive side (esp 5th gear) and that the shift mapping is more in favor of responsiveness over economy also. Assuming the Caddy engine will pickup a few ponies with premium fuel in the tank like the Honda J30A4/5 will, guess who comes out on top in that equation?

So one has a little more zip and is slightly thirstier, but only needs regular fuel. One has a little less zip but is a bit more frugal on gas, but needs premium gas. They're both good engines, so take your pick. GM also has a 2.8L turbocharged V6 from the same engine series that has about the same overall power and fuel mileage. But since it's a factory turbo, you'll be able to mod the crap out of it. That engine is a Ward's 10 Best Engine this year, so sorta a bummer that it's only available in the Saab 9-3.

GM's pushrod V6 engines are sorta in a different league and it's really not fair to compare them to high end OHC V6 engines just based on paper specs and dreaded (and useless) HP/L figures unless you also mention physical size and overall cost to build. GM's OHV V6 engines are a good bit smaller physically than OHC V6's and don't really need all that much more space than an Inline-4. They're also significantly cheaper to build (anywhere from $500-1000 cheaper than a comparable OHC 24-valve V6) which allows them to offer customers V6 power at the price point of import Inline-4's. GM's modernized V6 engines in the Impala (LZ4 3.5L and LZ9 3.9L) are designed to give customers the higher performance of OHC V6 engines while still maintaining the compact form factor and cost effectiveness of the pushrod architecture. Expect mpg to go up about 1 mpg in both city and hwy after GM starts deploying their 6T70 6spd transverse automatics widespread over the next year or so. Most of these cars are still only using 4spd automatics. So GM's pushrod V6 engines aren't really "intended" to be performance engines, but GM can make them that way too, and do a pretty darn good job also with the cost advantages.

As far as the LS4 V8 goes, here's its score: 7042.5

That's good enough to blow almost every high-po import V6 engine right out of the water. It offers significantly more overall power than most and is hardly any thirstier since it can run in V-4 mode thanks to Displacement on Demand technology. It will also fire evenly and smoothly like that so it doesn't need a ton of add-on stuff (active motor mounts, active noise cancellation, etc) like Honda does with their DoD V6 engines. The LS4 is a state of the art engine in every respect. And again thanks to the compact nature of pushrod engines it can be made to fit under the slender hood of mid-sized V6 sedans like the Impala. Those things will run high-13's @ 100 mph stock, and due to the fact that GM actually has a clue when it comes to building high powered FWD cars (they've been doing it for decades) there's very little torque steer. Even C&D admitted that.

GM and DCX with the HEMI have proven that just because something has a big honkin V8 engine with tons of power doesn't mean it's going to suck up a ton of gas also. The Chrysler 300C with 340hp/390tq gets the same mileage as an Infiniti G35 with only 280hp/270tq even when the Chrysler is a full-sized sedan vs a mid-sized, 4000 lbs vs 3400 lbs, and has the aerodynamics of a brick vs the streamlined G35. Now just imagine what would happen if DCX came out with a 3500-3600 lb RWD car with good aerodynamics and put a HEMI in it. It would slaughter the G35 all day long at the track and also get better mileage than the G too.

And that was probably a crap load more than you were looking for. I would not bother trying to post any of this on VTEC.net btw. It's a Honda groupie site and horribly biased just by that nature, so you're not likely to find many open minds that would be receptive to any sort of dissenting point of view.
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #5
indoctidiscant

ty, for a moment i really felt dumb to even think the domestic oems had a chance with their new engines. i have a ton of money riding on the new 3.5liters that both dcx and ford are producing.

oh also those 6spd trannies..

i cant wait for some real good stuff to start coming out of detroit again. the only thing that scares me is that japan seems to come out with stuff equally nice.

Last edited by OwAce; February 7th, 2006 at 09:19 PM..
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #6
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kleptodathief
imports all the way!!! domestic body styling sux ass!!! go vtec!!!
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #7
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
i cant wait for some real good stuff to start coming out of detroit again.

I just like to have a huge selection of vehicles to choose from when automobile shopping. It just makes the whole process more fun...for a car nut such as myself at least.
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k

I just like to have a huge selection of vehicles to choose from when automobile shopping. It just makes the whole process more fun...for a car nut such as myself at least.
or a ton more difficult. I seriously have no clue WTH to get next.
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #9
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Very true!

I would be singing the same song if this came up a few weeks ago, before I finally found what I was looking for. I'll admit it though, automobile buying is exhausting.

...but fun!
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #10
indoctidiscant

Red face

Quote:
the new impala! its growing on me. and i think it looks prettier than the accord sedan.
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #11
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
the new impala! its growing on me. and i think it looks prettier than the accord sedan.
This thread made me go visit the Chevy website. I built a SS Impala, loaded for under $30K. Not bad for an efficient V8. As mentioned though, the four-speed automatic is severly hindering that thing.
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #12
indoctidiscant

Quote:
This thread made me go visit the Chevy website. I built a SS Impala, loaded for under $30K. Not bad for an efficient V8. As mentioned though, the four-speed automatic is severly hindering that thing.
give it another year, the 6speed auto will be in it. ford has recently started production of the 6speed, and gm will eventually do it 6 months down the line.
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #13

Quote:
not true
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #14

BTW the Saturn Aura looks pretty hot, which is debuting with the 6T70. I saw one on display at one of the auto shows recently but you weren't allowed to sit in it.
Old April 10th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #15
indoctidiscant

Quote:
i think by hinder he means in terms of gas mileage, and how uncomfortable the 4 speed is.

Old April 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #16
ex scientia vera

Quote:
I was sort of hitting on personal preference with the hinderance comment. I really got used to the 5-speed auto in my AV6 and I guess I became accustomed to the comfort of it. I've never driven anything recent that is similar to the Impala, so I can't comment with total objectivity.
Old April 10th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #17

A lot of import owners would be pleasantly surprised or even shocked at how well GM's 4spd automatics work if they would ever actually go out and drive them. I've rented Grand Prixs a few times and thought it would be a dog with the base 3800 and 4spd. Boy was I wrong. The 3800 is extremely torquey and also turbine smooth, and despite only having 4 gears there weren't really any gearing holes or gaps. Shift response and quality is outstanding, as is the torque converter. Not only that, but it gets great gas mileage too. GM automatics that I had as rentals were what convinced me to get an automatic back in the day, only I got a Honda automatic. Bad move.

I really don't care how many gears something has as long as it performs well (objective) and feels good to drive (subjective). I've been very pleased with GM 4spd autos, at least on 3800 and above engines. The 3.5 and below (OHV) don't quite have the torque to pull the taller gears though, so they could definitely use extra gears for sure but they're already super efficient at 32 mpg hwy for a V6. I bet the 3.6 DOHC engine does just fine though, as will a 5.3 V8. 4 gears + DoD = 28 mpg which is the same as a Maxima. The only 5spd auto car I've driven enough to comment on was an Accord 4cyl (rental) and I found it to be extremely shifty and annoying, like it was never settling down into a gear. Didn't like it at all.
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #18
ex scientia vera

Great points! ^ It's funny you bring up some of these points. I've recently made the decision that I actually prefer the shifting characteristics of my AV6 over the Maxima. The Maxima just seems to gear hunt way too much in certain ranges. Despite my easing off the gas ever so slightly on small inclines, the darn thing downshifts on me. I suppose I will learn the quirks, characteristics, and small things such as this over time. But the nod goes to the AV6 in initial impressions here.

Back on topic: Sorry about that Owace...
I'm very much looking forward to being in the market again within the next two years when my fiancee will be looking to replace her 1995 Dodge Neon.
That car just won't quit. Anyhow, the market is getting exciting again.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #19

Wow SteVtech, you really know a lot about cars. But yeah I gotta agree domestic is comming out with some pretty sweet stuff. I dont even want to think about having to decide what to get because there is way too much good cars out there, and continuing to come out. Also, the LS4 is the corvette engine right?? Man, those things are fast, awesome looking and so d**** cheap. I dont see how you can get anything else if you are looking for a high performance car.
gdogtyper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #20
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
Corvettes have a 400hp LS2 and a 505hp LS7.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleptodathief
imports all the way!!! domestic body styling sux ass!!! go vtec!!!
YEAAAAA!!!!!! KLEPTO! WHOOO!!

Nobody likes the 47.9L 4valve pushrod V24 127hp 786ft.lb american engines anyways...

E
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #22
BULLPOO

Old February 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #23
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder
x2
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:32 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to OKCV6'R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspda
YEAAAAA!!!!!! KLEPTO! WHOOO!!

Nobody likes the 47.9L 4valve pushrod V24 127hp 786ft.lb american engines anyways...

E
A$$! ...

LMAO!
OKCV6'R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #25

you can't compare the TL to the impala. You can compare the Accord to the Impala. Also note that some of the V6 on domestic are being Twin turbo charged in order to get the MPG score up.

And I agree that Domestic have nicer looking body on the car now. It looks way better then the gen8 accord, 2009 TL *it has a beak WTF*, and Crosstour *its just WTF?! make up your mind. Are you a care of SUV*. The only problem with domestic is that there quality is lacking when they build them, and there is a lot of electrical problems.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #26
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Send a message via AIM to slowaccord
you are almost 3 years too late on this one buddy
slowaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowaccord View Post
you are almost 3 years too late on this one buddy
lol I am never too late!! jp jp I saw it pop up in the front page so i ono
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #28
BULLPOO

A spammer bumped this thread earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in