A Chrysler??? Ya gotta be kiddin'. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #1
Old Fart in a Chrysler

A Chrysler??? Ya gotta be kiddin'.

No kiddin'. I just bought a 2001 Chrysler -- a Town & Country LX minivan, no less. But hey, it's got a V6 -- 3.3l. Sorry if I am in the wrong place, but there ain't a lot of resources out there in the Ether for this car.

I wanna get more performance out of it. I know I should improve the breathing -- give it more cold air, get rid of the exhaust more efficiently. But I'm havin' a tough time finding the necessary parts. I was at Summit Saturday and the guy said there was a Borla cat back system for about 700 bucks. He had it listed for my car on his screen, but when I came home and tried the Borla site and others to find a cat back for my car, I came up empty.

Someone told me I should try to get a cone filter with bent tubing, but this too is unavailable for my van. Anyone know if there is a cross-over to a different model. Maybe a Dodge or Plymouth sport sedan or something?

How 'bout an upgrade to the fuel pump, water pump or any other system? I don't want to tear the engine down and rebuild, but I wouldn't be against replacing some of the components. I've already looked at an MSD ignition, but I think I need to tackle the breathing improvements first.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Grump
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #2

Wow, I dont even know how Chrysler engine looks like. But Borla or Flowmaster make exhaust systems for pretty much every domestic vehicles out there so you may find something there. And to improve breathing, go for K&N airfilter instead of trying to look for a coldair intake. You could try to make your own CAI I suppose, but I really dont know how the fitment and stuff would be. And I doubt it would help alot, but what do I know im no expert @ Chrysler vehicles. Good luck though!
blackhawk411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #3
Old Fart in a Chrysler

Thanks for the reply, Blackhawk. I did go to Summit Racing yesterday and picked up a K&N air filter. That will improve the airflow somewhat, but nothing like a cold air intake would. I did a search and found nothing made specifically for the van or the engine.

Likewise the exhaust system. Although the counter guy at Summit brought something up on his computer that was s'posed to be a Borla cat back system (about 700 bucks), I couldn't find anything when doing a Google search. The problem with looking for anything online with search terms is that who the hell would wanna make anything for a minivan? Surely there is some cross-over stuff, but I don't know anything about other DaimlerChrysler products and don't know what other cars have the same 3.3l engine.

Maybe someone else does?

Grump

Old February 26th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #4
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
hrmm...damn

i would see if you can find out what other platforms the 3.3l went into, and go visit those forums.

we really wont be much help. i think stevtec could help you out though, he seems to have vast knowledge of the internet.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #5

lol you should just do custom work...custom CAI, custom exhaust lol that'd be a kickass minivan, but you shold've gotten a Honda Oddesey. I bet it has more aftermarket than a Chrysler minivan I've seen Odysseys with bodykit and stuff
blackhawk411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #6
POSSIBLE FRAUDULENT SELLER

Send a message via AIM to maying856 Send a message via MSN to maying856
Sweet!! A tuned van!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
maying856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #7
(つ◕‿◕)つ*.★.*.★.* .★.

for the Odyssey. If i had to drive a minivan it would definately be the Honda Odyssey... with a j32a2 6speed swap of course!

but anways.. isn't the dodge caravan the exacy same car just badge'd differently? You might want to look into parts for the carvan also since they should fit your car aswell.
Red02AccordV6_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Formerly VTEC-v6!

^Bad photoshop
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #9
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

i know there's chrysler minivan forums out there.

do a 3.8L swap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #10
Old Fart in a Chrysler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC-v6!
^Bad photoshop
To you, maybe. It had me fooled. And it certainly gives me ideas. I can't lower mine so radically, but there are other mods I might be able to do.

Grump
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Old Fart in a Chrysler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
i know there's chrysler minivan forums out there.
I belong to a couple. Most are pretty quiet as concerns these vans.

Quote:
do a 3.8L swap
No, that's okay.

Hey, your avatar looks just like me in my younger years.

Grump
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #12
Suspension Noobie

Didnt the older Dodge Intreped/Concord/Vision have the 3.3L as a base engine or at least a variant of it? mabey you can search those cars.
kesandoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #13
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red02AccordV6_2
but anways.. isn't the dodge caravan the exacy same car just badge'd differently? You might want to look into parts for the carvan also since they should fit your car aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red02AccordV6_2
for the Odyssey. If i had to drive a minivan it would definately be the Honda Odyssey... with a j32a2 6speed swap of course!
That Odyssey only comes with an inline 4 so you would run into problems with a V6 swap .

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:42 AM   #14
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe

That Odyssey only comes with an inline 4 so you would run into problems with a V6 swap .
hunh? im pretty sure it has a v6 in the lineup currently.....
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:51 AM   #15

my friend has one and all i gotta say is that it is a POS his is a 2002 model......the thing looses allignment easily, lots of rattles, unreliable electronics.....etc
YeuEmMaiMai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
hunh? im pretty sure it has a v6 in the lineup currently.....
I think he was talking about the PS one posted, which is a JDM version, which does only come with a 4-cyl (K24). I've seen those in Singapore and Taiwan and they actually look pretty damned sweet. Very sleek, and the headlight designs are cool as hell. I hate how US market cars Japanese cars are always watered down crap compared to what the East Asian markets get.
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:26 AM   #17
^ lives for this stuff

Send a message via AIM to NDeedOne
This thread is about a min-van...... I'm outta here ha ha
NDeedOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:32 AM   #18
Old Fart in a Chrysler

So, are some of you saying I am in the wrong place? Hmmm?

I went to Reno yesterday to check on some upgrades and modifications. I had used a driveline and gear shop on several occasions since 1994 and they always did high quality work and were a friendly bunch, so I asked them for some recommendations. They gave me a short list of shops to visit.

One of the purposes of this van is to pick up materials and supplies for my floor covering business of 35 years. It's a small business in a very small town, so a couple times a month I will need to pull a trailer to Reno, get a roll of carpet or 3, a few sheets of plywood, etc. Pulling a trailer is hard on the transmission and one way to combat the wear and tear on a tranny is to keep it cool. The transmission shops I took it to all said the same thing, that the stock cooler was as large and efficient as any after market cooler. So instead of a cooler, I will be having the tranny serviced and having an additive poured down the neck to improve cooling.

One of the best performance enhancing modifications you can do to a car is tuning the exhaust. I wanted to make mine a dual system, but that's not possible without major modifications. Instead, I will be getting 2 1/2" tubing mandrel bent from the cat back. A MagnaFlow muffler and a resonator and ending in a fat oval tip out the back. I've been promised noticeable difference in power.

All that work should be completed by Monday evening. I had to get some studded snows put on just for that Reno trip yesterday and flipped through the wheel and tire wish book while I was waiting. Now I can't wait 'til Spring.

Someone suggested swapping the 3.3 throttle body out for the 3.8 TB. I am not sure that is possible, so I will look into that. I am also considering the MSD ignition. Any of you have experiences in those areas you would like to share?

Thanks for helping me bring the thread back on topic.

Grump
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:45 AM   #19
indoctidiscant

Quote:
I think he was talking about the PS one posted, which is a JDM version, which does only come with a 4-cyl (K24). I've seen those in Singapore and Taiwan and they actually look pretty damned sweet. Very sleek, and the headlight designs are cool as hell. I hate how US market cars Japanese cars are always watered down crap compared to what the East Asian markets get.
i was just bustin his balls.

US market cars Japanese cars? i need a couple of aspirin..that made my thread hurt and i still dont get what your saying...

Old March 1st, 2006, 07:50 AM   #20
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump

One of the best performance enhancing modifications you can do to a car is tuning the exhaust. I wanted to make mine a dual system, but that's not possible without major modifications. Instead, I will be getting 2 1/2" tubing mandrel bent from the cat back. A MagnaFlow muffler and a resonator and ending in a fat oval tip out the back. I've been promised noticeable difference in power.

Grump
dont bother with mandrel bending, unless the bend is extreme, (imo over 30 degrees). its not worth the extra money.

what is the exhaust system look like (headers back). a cat back may not correctly serve your purpose.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:07 AM   #21

Quote:
US market cars Japanese cars? i need a couple of aspirin..that made my thread hurt and i still dont get what your saying...

Example: The East Asian market Toyota Camry is a much more upscale and classier looking ride than the US market Toyota Camry. Has a much more elegant looking front end and grille, side view mirror turn signals, better aero and trim pieces, better fogs, a different trunklid with tail light extensions that look 100x better than the US market one without them, and it goes on and on and on. Interiors look better also. Would really have to see it in person to drive the point home. Checkout some foreign car sites. Pics do not really do it justice, but look at http://www.toyotasingapore.com.sg/sh...y/gallery.html
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM   #22
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Example: The East Asian market Toyota Camry is a much more upscale and classier looking ride than the US market Toyota Camry. Has a much more elegant looking front end and grille, side view mirror turn signals, better aero and trim pieces, better fogs, a different trunklid with tail light extensions that look 100x better than the US market one without them, and it goes on and on and on. Interiors look better also. Would really have to see it in person to drive the point home. Checkout some foreign car sites. Pics do not really do it justice, but look at http://www.toyotasingapore.com.sg/sh...y/gallery.html
lol this time i was making fun of the way you said what you said. US market cars japanese cars..instead of say USDM japanese cars.

and i totally agree with you on the A(sian)DM versions, versus their bland USDM versions.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:42 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to Mitsume Send a message via MSN to Mitsume
^ agreed. but that camry is not the new one...

check out HK official Toyota website: http://www.toyota.com.hk/index.html

notice the new camry even come HID as stock equipment, i don't think the one here will not come with HID at all even at the highest trim.. i bet..

and look into Alphard, Picnic and Previa... aren't they look x100 better than the Sienna?

also check out: http://www.nissan.com.hk/eng/model_lineup.php

i believe that the Tiida and Cefiro's styling are way more refined than the Sentra and Altima here... anyways, that's just my personal opinion...

sorry for off-topic and Grump, have fun modding the van! make sure to post some pics after the exhaust is complete! it must be one of a kind in the small town you are living in!

Last edited by Mitsume; March 1st, 2006 at 08:52 AM..
Mitsume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:23 AM   #24
Old Fart in a Chrysler

Quote:
dont bother with mandrel bending, unless the bend is extreme, (imo over 30 degrees). its not worth the extra money.

what is the exhaust system look like (headers back). a cat back may not correctly serve your purpose.
I had some pros look it over and give me estimates. The cat back is a viable solution. Thank you for your comments.

Since most of the rest of you have piss poor manners and don't seem to know how to start your own threads, you're welcome to do with this one as you please now. As you mentioned in a prior post, there are other forums. Since I don't have much vested in this one and you guys do, it's no big deal. I'm happy to learn so early about the lack of etiquette you all seem to have. An old fart like me appreciates a little more self control in his fellow members than you possess.

Now, go ahead and practice your insults and invectives. I won't be back to read them, but your friends will certainly see how inventive you can be in the face of rejection.

B'bye.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:36 AM   #25
indoctidiscant

lol, thats how most threads are everywhere. prone to go OT.

the reason why i asked for a exhaust pic, so that i can get a gauge of what the bends/curves/routing the exhaust goes through post the headers. also the location of cats, and the location of sensors on cats.

mandrel bending is expensive, and like i mentioned before doesnt show much advantage unless you get into high bends.

btw also looking into straightpiping your exhaust system with oem mufflers. ive done that and i like it a lot.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsume
^ agreed. but that camry is not the new one...

check out HK official Toyota website: http://www.toyota.com.hk/index.html

notice the new camry even come HID as stock equipment, i don't think the one here will not come with HID at all even at the highest trim.. i bet..

and look into Alphard, Picnic and Previa... aren't they look x100 better than the Sienna?

also check out: http://www.nissan.com.hk/eng/model_lineup.php

i believe that the Tiida and Cefiro's styling are way more refined than the Sentra and Altima here... anyways, that's just my personal opinion...

sorry for off-topic and Grump, have fun modding the van! make sure to post some pics after the exhaust is complete! it must be one of a kind in the small town you are living in!
ooooh cool. HK sites. In Engrish too! Never thought to check those out. Thx for the links.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
my friend has one and all i gotta say is that it is a POS his is a 2002 model......the thing looses allignment easily, lots of rattles, unreliable electronics.....etc
A guy I used to work with put 2 trannys in his 2001 Odyssey, and the electronic doors kept on going out too, and he paid way more for it used than he would of a Chrysler.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:47 AM   #28

Quote:
I had some pros look it over and give me estimates. The cat back is a viable solution. Thank you for your comments.
You'll probably trade-off some low-end with that, which might not be a good thing if you're going to be carrying a load since it's a work van. If you really want to get hardcore, have you seen the turbo van sites?

www.turbovan.net
www.turbominivan.com

Now that is badass.

Quote:
Since most of the rest of you have piss poor manners and don't seem to know how to start your own threads, you're welcome to do with this one as you please now. As you mentioned in a prior post, there are other forums. Since I don't have much vested in this one and you guys do, it's no big deal. I'm happy to learn so early about the lack of etiquette you all seem to have. An old fart like me appreciates a little more self control in his fellow members than you possess.

Now, go ahead and practice your insults and invectives. I won't be back to read them, but your friends will certainly see how inventive you can be in the face of rejection.

B'bye.

I just read through this whole thread and didn't find anything out of the ordinary or out of the range or acceptibility, and a lot of people seem to think I'm some fascist nazi mod too. If you think this thread is an example of poor manners and etiquette then you seriously haven't seen anything. This is not a forum of minivan owners with people who are older, responsible, have kids, and don't BS. It's mostly a bunch of kids or young adults with coupes with little to no responsibility and are fixing up their honduhs. I guess it's just not what you were expecting but oh well. Anyways, good luck fixing up your van.

turbo 2.2L swap

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

Old March 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #29
mitsubishi fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vinny_2 Send a message via MSN to vinny_2 Send a message via Yahoo to vinny_2
I found a forum site for you
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/index.php?
And for your exhaust i would go universal if i where you that's what i did it to my diamante and i am happy with the results.
vinny_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #30

At forty, I'm too young to drive a van...

You could always burn a sound effects CD of a nitro burning hemi funny car and play it in the van... sorry, I couldn't help myself.
lbjgh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in