Rx8 or G35 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #1

Rx8 or G35

I have a 03 v6 coupe that I share with my brother. We are planning to get another car either a G35 auto coupe or a Rx8 manual. I do not know much about rotary engines or even conventional engines. Just need some input. Thanks.
Earsly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #2

G35!!

I wish I could get a coupe, but just can't with the responsibilities I have. Best ride I've been in for a long time. Especially at the price. I liked it better than the 350Z.

Enjoy!
Old August 4th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #3
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
2 completely different cars. If I had to choose, I would go with the G35 because of the power and looks. But from my experience with Rotary engines in past RX-7 models, you really have to keep up with the daily maintenance. But a lot of R&D went into the Renesis Rotary Engine so Im thinking its a lot better than its predecessors. But they did a pretty good job of getting 210 HP from a 1.3 liter engine. Too bad the torque is 70% of it.

Last edited by relentless; August 4th, 2003 at 08:43 PM..
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 4th, 2003, 08:44 PM   #4
Super Adm!n

Send a message via AIM to 6th Speed Send a message via Yahoo to 6th Speed
G35 coupe... you can get a 6 speed!!
6th Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #5
7th Gen ACcord

G35 is pimp
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #6
Chicago Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Bbc84 Send a message via AIM to Bbc84
G35 slammed with lip kit and factory wing is good.
Bbc84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
But they did a pretty good job of getting 210 HP from a 1.3 liter engine.
they got 250 hp out of it in the manual.

One question though is the reason for the auto in the g35 because of the price?

I would rather have a manual car. Though from what I hear of the dynos of three rx-8 6 speeds the hp was only 175-185 at the wheels, but in the service manual it says that a new fuel map is used after 20k miles, which most likely will fix the power, because someone also did an a/f reading during the dyno and found it to run overly rich to protect the engine at high rpms. This info come from www.rx8forum.com

Last edited by jaymode; August 4th, 2003 at 10:32 PM..
jaymode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #8

get the g35, rx8 sucks.
vinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #9
Bri
Car Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Bri Send a message via AIM to Bri
Easy... G35!!! No question on that...
I really don't like the Mazda and its rotary engine. I've heard bad reviews about it and the torque is low for the car despite its high horsepower. You really need to rev up the engine to extract the power. I hope this helps. 'Congrats BTW...
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #10
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
Quote:
Originally posted by jaymode on August 5th, 2003 at 04:32 AM

[/url]
Really? I didnt know that. Time to read up again. Thanks for the update!
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #11

G35!
EX V6 Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #12

Definitely G35!

The coupe looks better than the RX-8 (my subjective view), and it has way more torque as well.

And I think the RX-8 gas mileage is pretty bad for a car of its size and with so little torque. RX-8 owners have been posting mileages of 16-18mpg, which is even worse than the G35 and most V6 cars on the road!! I guess not everyone cares about gas mileage but it's something that I keep in mind

But get the 6MT G35 (with the brembos~!)
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Hardcore_Newbie
The RX8 will completely DEMOLISH the G35 in terms of handling. It may not seem like it has much power, but it is only slightly slower than the G35. Rotary engines specialize in revving very high. When you drive the car, you can just kick it at like 8k rpm and the engine wont mind it one bit. It is very easy to get 300+ hp with some port work on rotaries...
Hardcore_Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to PMantis24
2 very different cars IMO.

In terms of looks, the G35 cpe wins. I really love the front of the RX8 but I can't stand the bubbly back. The G35 just has that classy sporty coupe styling

Power wise these are 2 very different cars, if you like lots of torque down low then the it's the G35. If you like to rev the engine to 9000rpm then the RX8 will do it for you.

Handling wise, the G35 handles well for a car that size, but the RX8 should handle better.

So it really depends what you are looking for.

Oh, a little heads up on the RX8. Guys have been dynoing their RX8's with extremely disappointing results. They're getting around 180whp for a 250hp (manual) car.

Read -> http://www.rx8forum.com/showthread.p...5&pagenumber=1

I was reading and they said it's due to a conservative fuel mapping and the regular fuel mapping doesn't change until you hit 20k miles that's a lot of miles to wait to get the full potential out of your purchase

I was thinking of getting a G35 as the car after my accord, but then I thought, I want an S2000 who knows, not happening soon, so my mind will probably change again.

Here's why I love the front of the RX8

How I would like my G35 to look

Whatever you choose it will be a nice car
PMantis24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by jaymode on August 4th, 2003 at 08:32 PM

One question though is the reason for the auto in the g35 because of the price?

I would rather have a manual car. Though from what I hear of the dynos of three rx-8 6 speeds the hp was only 175-185 at the wheels, but in the service manual it says that a new fuel map is used after 20k miles, which most likely will fix the power, because someone also did an a/f reading during the dyno and found it to run overly rich to protect the engine at high rpms. This info come from www.rx8forum.com
Yea the auto is way cheaper then the manual by about 2000. Im leaning more towards the G35. The only reason I wouldn't want this car is because its marked up soo damn much. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks
Earsly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #16
FO SHIZZLE

Send a message via AIM to Makiev
I myself have been deciding about these two vehicles. Those worrying about reliability of the Renesis shouldn't worry that much because the Renesis for one is NA. Mazda has too much banking on this project for it to flop. True the Rex lacks torque but 250 from 1.3 liter engine is still amazing. Another knock on the Rx-8 is the horrible gas mileage.The g35 is pimp if you got the money. The RX-8 for me is better in my price range. But definitely If I had the cash I'd get a G35.

2K7 Camry Hybrid
"Whitey"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Makiev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to spkr_diy Send a message via AIM to spkr_diy
hmm... actually, when driven correctly, the two cars have about the same acceleration curves in a straight line, and the rx8 will own the g35 in cornering. And don't worry about the rotary engine, since its N/A, it wont have any of the problems the old rotaries had, becuase those problems were caused by heat from the turbos. I would get the rx8 because it looks better, handles better, and is less common, while still seating 4, and accelerating the same.
spkr_diy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2003, 03:43 PM   #18

Whey the heck would you want a g35 auto?

anyhoo- so maybe im going by the mag numbers here... But the rx-8 got timed faster on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile (if i remember correctly) than a g35 manual. A g35 auto would definitly be slower. The rx-8 It also pulled better on the skidpad methinks. The rx-8 is a beautiful car, in my mind better than the g35- but thats just my opinion.. I would go with the rx-8
BasicAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #19

did i mention the rx-8 has FOUR doors....... ...... yea sedans... maybe this is a new one of those freaky crossover vehicles
Old August 5th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #20
Phi

Guys, you really can't compare a rotary engine with a conventional engine. The Renesis engine is more like a 2.6 liter conventional engine due to how it operates and 250 hp out of 2.6 liters isn't that great.

I've never sat in a G35 but I heard the interior is cheap looking. It still looks awesome from the outside though. I'd get one of those Skyline badges for it. Hey, do the japanese get a GTR version of the new Skyline? Or are they getting the same naturally aspirated version that we get?

Phi
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #21

I've sat in both the coupe and sedan and the G35 coupe's interior is better than the sedan's interior (I recall the center stack for the coupe is actually real aluminum, not the fake plastic stuff they used in the sedan). The overall quality of the interior is on par with the Acura TSX, except maybe for the speedo and tach which doesn't look as good.

I've never sat in a RX-8, only looked into it from outside, but if you are comparing the interior of the G35 to the RX-8, I would say that the G35 actually seems to have the slightly higher quality interior.

I am pretty sure the Japanese don't have a GTR version for the skyline yet.
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to uheenada
from my experience having g35coupe auto for 1week and 2days... i'll definitely recommend g35coupe all the way... man this thing got some torque... u don't need to downshift to 4th gear in order to pass slower car... 5th gear about 3500rpm will own everyone(if slow cars going at constant speed)... yeah rx8 is fast only on 1/4mile.. from the roll g35 will eat it for lunch... let's say like at 60mph u start racing g35 vs. rx8 g35 will own it anytime... and g35 manual is not that fast compare to g35 auto... as i see some slips(my friends) there's about .2 seconds difference b/w mt and at... if you consider that as big difference then it's big...
uheenada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #23

G35 all the way!!!!!
Chrome Exhaust
Krisbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 6th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to spkr_diy Send a message via AIM to spkr_diy
Quote:
Originally posted by uheenada on August 6th, 2003 at 03:38 AM

rx8 is fast only on 1/4mile.. from the roll g35 will eat it for lunch... let's say like at 60mph u start racing g35 vs. rx8 g35 will own it anytime...
Um, no. You are wrong. The rx8 has MORE of an advantage from a roll than it does off the line, which is true of all cars with high horsepower and low torque. That's because at low gears, they have to drop further out of their power bands than when driving in high gears, and since the rx8 is a 6 speed, the driver just has to select the right gear to put him in his power band, and it's game over.
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #25

here is a comparo of the rx8, g35, and a mustang.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
jaymode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 10th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #26
SC3

Both very nice cars. RX-8 is alot lighter (300-400 lbs) and better handling (50/50).

If you are going to get the automatic, then get the G35. The RX-8 revs so high that an automatic transmission will fall apart, so they detuned the engine to handle the auto tranny. Thus, the BHP is rated a lot lower than the stick.

-SC3
SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #27

in order to get a good 1/4 mile time you gotta drop the clutch at very high rpms (7-8k) . and what do you mean 250 hp out of 2.6 litres isnt that great?!! thats awesome! Its still only 1.3 litres though. that would be 192.3 bhp/litre
Old August 19th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #28
Gettin' Old

RX8= The biggest *yawn* since the Acura TSX.
VaV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2003, 04:05 AM   #29

G35 manual of course!!!
It is 2 different cars. Torque (G35) and torqueless (RX-8)
mucat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2003, 03:50 AM   #30
M62B44tu powaH!

The Manual RX-8 is now rated at 238hp, down from the original 247hp...while the auto is rated at 197hp down from the original 207hp

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos...arbuyback_x.htm
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in