Me vs. Evo - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > GENERAL AUTO DISCUSSION > RACING and TUNING > ROAD TALES
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #1

Me vs. Evo

So I'm driving along and see this Evo and Cobalt SS with HIDs. I thought I heard them play around a little, so I do a little 2nd gear pull. This seems to spark the attention of the Evo driver as he catches up to me. We approach a red light but as he and I both know, AWD > FWD from a dig; so we come off slowly, shift to 2nd and I lurch forward a bit to tease. He does the same only stays on it..he got the jump from a 40ish roll and is slowly pulling away. As I shift to 3rd he is still pulling, but not as much. By the top of 3rd I am now pulling on him slowly and the same at the bottom of 4th.

If we got an even start, I still think he would've pulled in 2nd but veryyy slightly, maybe 1/2 car. Then in 3rd I would've pulled and beat him easily by 1 - 1 1/2 cars. I had a passenger and he did not. The turbo spool was pretty loud.. I don't know Evo's so maybe it's loud stock, but if anything he had an intake and that's it. I was pleased
Sonnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing

that evo must be broken or poorly modified without a tune. there's no way you will pull on it in any gear.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Street Brawler

Depends on what model evo it is, but I know when I raced an evo 9 I lost by by 2-3 cars up to 90-100 and he even let me go first so he didn't get the awd advantage from a dig.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #4

It was an Evo VIII, definitely not a IX. Plus the intake really doesn't do much performance-wise I've heard.

From a dig I wouldn't stand a chance, but from a roll.. that's a different story. Their top end isn't that great.
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #5
07 Accord 6 Speed Coupe

The Evo from a roll depending on mods is not that impressive. When I had my MS3 stock I would put 2 cars from 60mph-120mph on my friend with his stock Evo 9MR
civic si hb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Nice encounter. I've heard an Evo from a roll is a pretty good race. So in the end, when you both finally got off of it, who was ahead, you or him?
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #7

evo's suck from a roll. definitely woulda got him if you did a roll from around 10mph. nice job
v6 6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Nice encounter. I've heard an Evo from a roll is a pretty good race. So in the end, when you both finally got off of it, who was ahead, you or him?
When we got off of it, he was still ahead. With all that torque, his small "jump" was actually like a car. And he pulled in 2nd, and I pulled at the top of 3rd and beginning of 4th. He had about 2 cars on at the beginning of 3rd, and it ended as I was approaching his rear bumper, maybe 1 car at the beginning of 4th. If we would've kept going, I would've passed him mid-4th.

That's why if we got an even start, I think I would've definitely pulled ahead.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but I did have a 120-lb passenger.
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
nice kill . what mods do u have?
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #10

I'm stock except for test pipe.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #11
From J30A to 4g63

Send a message via AIM to 0Tolerance Send a message via MSN to 0Tolerance Send a message via Yahoo to 0Tolerance Send a message via Skype™ to 0Tolerance
Id have to agree with Nighthawk, Im not understanding how you were on his bumper when you have an I4 with just a test pipe, and you said you would be passing him in 4th?? Sorry that is very hard to believe even it being an VIII. I would also have to say he let off or hit boost or fuel cut causing it to be so close as you say.
*True evo's from a roll arent great stock IF the driver isnt in the correct gear and did not brake boost. This is the only way I can see the why this statement is made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
0Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #12
From J30A to 4g63

Send a message via AIM to 0Tolerance Send a message via MSN to 0Tolerance Send a message via Yahoo to 0Tolerance Send a message via Skype™ to 0Tolerance
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic si hb View Post
The Evo from a roll depending on mods is not that impressive. When I had my MS3 stock I would put 2 cars from 60mph-120mph on my friend with his stock Evo 9MR
This statement also boggles me. Your friend must need some driving lessons. Simply,..IX's have a larger turbo and MIVEC to help the top end vs. the VIII, and traps 103-105mph on average, the ms3 will stop the pull a bit (not completely) after 100mph, but the MS3 surely wont pull 2 cars lengths.
Visual Aid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yfAAafQ7aPc&feature=related

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I'm not trying to discredit the race, because as we all know anything can happen on the street, but I was under the impression that the Evo still traps around 103mph in the 1/4 mile. That's a good 3-5 mph faster than an Accord V6 6MT.
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #14
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
0Tol. - I think he ditched his 6th gen 4cyl. for a 7th gen v6.

MBR - Is that the Evo 8 or 9? Also, from a roll is a completely different story for the Evo.

When I had my AV6 6MT is was routine for me to piss off Evo 8 drivers on the freeway. From a dig forget about it... And the Evo 9s...pfff Raped me no matter what.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
When I had my AV6 6MT is was routine for me to piss off Evo 8 drivers on the freeway. From a dig forget about it... And the Evo 9s...pfff Raped me no matter what.
+1
v6 6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #16

Let me clear some things up..

I used to have the 2000 4 cyl 5spd but have since upgraded to the 2006 V6 6MT. I consider myself a skilled driver and have many people to 2nd that.

Evo's are obviously great 1/4 mile cars given AWD. However, from a roll, stock or very lightly modded, they lose steam up top with the stock turbo. The V6 6MT has pretty good low end and great top end, giving it a slight advantage from a roll. From a dig it wouldn't even be close but from a roll we hold our own with the Evo's. And it definitely wasn't a IX..Lol.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #17
Bobby Lane Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
Let me clear some things up..

I used to have the 2000 4 cyl 5spd but have since upgraded to the 2006 V6 6MT. I consider myself a skilled driver and have many people to 2nd that.

Evo's are obviously great 1/4 mile cars given AWD. However, from a roll, stock or very lightly modded, they lose steam up top with the stock turbo. The V6 6MT has pretty good low end and great top end, giving it a slight advantage from a roll. From a dig it wouldn't even be close but from a roll we hold our own with the Evo's. And it definitely wasn't a IX..Lol.
it doesn't take any skills to go in a straight line.. it takes some practice but once you get it down, there's definitely no skill involved. it's like when you learned how to read the alphabet. now on a road course where you have to utilize gas, braking, transmission etc.. that takes some skills.. coming in a turn, and exiting one.. hitting the S's, that requires skills.
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #18
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
Rowing through gears effeciently takes some skill. YOu really have to know your car. I think Sonnick had a video of him running up the gears in his 6th gen. Seemed pretty fast.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #19

^^ Thanks.

Nighthawk.. All I said was that I can drive, meaning shift very well. Shifting definitely takes some skill or everyone would be a great driver, but they're not. I'm not sure why you had to come at me like that, I don't appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuhRFpKwrjk

I think that's the video you were referring to SixSpeeder.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #20
SSM_AV6-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
Rowing through gears effeciently takes some skill. YOu really have to know your car. I think Sonnick had a video of him running up the gears in his 6th gen. Seemed pretty fast.
x2. According to Motor Trend etc. my Civic EX and the 6th gen EX are pretty close in acceleration, but my Civic is noticeably slower than that Accord.
NHB_AV6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #21
07 Accord 6 Speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Tolerance View Post
This statement also boggles me. Your friend must need some driving lessons. Simply,..IX's have a larger turbo and MIVEC to help the top end vs. the VIII, and traps 103-105mph on average, the ms3 will stop the pull a bit (not completely) after 100mph, but the MS3 surely wont pull 2 cars lengths.
Visual Aid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yfAAafQ7aPc&feature=related

The speed 3 is boost limited and 1st and 2nd gear and being front wheel drive doesn't help any from a dig. The speed 3 only traps at 101mph stock because it's boost limited in the 1st 2 gears, but when your doing a 3rd gear pull it's not boost limited any more and will compete with cars that trap 104-105mph. On the highway a stock speed3 Will take down a stock evo 9MR from a 60-120 roll by 2 cars all day long, sorry

Here's the 1st race:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Here's the 2nd race:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Sure looks like 2 cars to me.....

Last edited by civic si hb; June 14th, 2008 at 06:27 AM..
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #22
Bobby Lane Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnick View Post
^^ Thanks.

Nighthawk.. All I said was that I can drive, meaning shift very well. Shifting definitely takes some skill or everyone would be a great driver, but they're not. I'm not sure why you had to come at me like that, I don't appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuhRFpKwrjk

I think that's the video you were referring to SixSpeeder.
sorry didn't mean to offend you.. shifting does take effort and you're right, some drivers shift smoother, faster, and better than others. however when it comes down to it, a street race is still a street race, and it's not easy to determine a good driver from a street race as 75% of that race is reaction time, and 25% of horsepower.. maybe after 3-4 pulls one can make a judgement, but until they're on the track. lauching skills, shifting, and many other factors of driving play a role in your time being good or bad, and whos faster and better and whos not... i'm not a fan of drag but its cool and fun to know your potentials, road racing is more of my preference, where aggressive driving skills come into play, suspension, allignment, tire pressure, downshifting, braking, etc.
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #23
方法についてはあなたが私のお尻にキス

man Evos are a pain to take out from a stop even on a modfied E46 M3, from a roll...they're just like any other car..120mph and then the forever climb to 150 takes over.
Henrys86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic si hb View Post
The speed 3 is boost limited and 1st and 2nd gear and being front wheel drive doesn't help any from a dig. The speed 3 only traps at 101mph stock because it's boost limited in the 1st 2 gears, but when your doing a 3rd gear pull it's not boost limited any more and will compete with cars that trap 104-105mph. On the highway a stock speed3 Will take down a stock evo 9MR from a 60-120 roll by 2 cars all day long, sorry

Here's the 1st race:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Here's the 2nd race:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Sure looks like 2 cars to me.....
Gotta love that Mazda Torque Nanny on the speed 3. Honestly, from 0T's video and the ones you posted, I can't really tell if both cars were really even "racing" each other. I can vouch for what Si is saying that the Mazda Torque Nanny for on the Speed 3 limits performance in 1st and 2nd gear, and it is a different car from a 3rd gear roll than the 1/4 mile traps totally would indicate. They pull reasonably well....

Wife's Car:
2007 Mazda CX-7 Touring AWD, Copper Red

Old Cars:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6, Grand Touring, Platinum
2003 Mazda 6s MTX, Lapis Blue, Sport

Yes, I like Mazdas....................
Blue Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #25
07 Accord 6 Speed Coupe

LOL, both cars are stock and those races went to 120+ MPH but both being stock and so quiet it sure is hard to tell Yeah the same guy now has a intake/ down pipe and test pipe only and he traps at 105mph and he's able to be locked from 60 to 130mph with a mustang that traps at almost 108mph. usually the mph in the 1/4 mile is a good indicator on how quick the car is from a roll but the MS3 is not quite true because of the boost limitation of 1st and 2nd gear.
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #26
From J30A to 4g63

Your vids obviously contradict the vid I posted. There are underlying circumstances unknown since both vids we posted were supposedly stock cars, but had to way different outcomes.....what do u think about that? Interesting about the boost changes between gears in the MS3. Never heard of that before.

Old June 16th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Your vids obviously contradict the vid I posted. There are underlying circumstances unknown since both vids we posted were supposedly stock cars, but had to way different outcomes.....what do u think about that? Interesting about the boost changes between gears in the MS3. Never heard of that before.
The torque nanny just won't let it go full boost. If it did it would be up in tire smoke anyhow!

Wife's Car:
2007 Mazda CX-7 Touring AWD, Copper Red

Old Cars:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6, Grand Touring, Platinum
2003 Mazda 6s MTX, Lapis Blue, Sport

Yes, I like Mazdas....................
Blue Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #28
07 Accord 6 Speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Mazda View Post
The torque nanny just won't let it go full boost. If it did it would be up in tire smoke anyhow!
Yup, very true....

The throttle plate closes in 1st and 2nd gear.

I though Cobb was working on a way to fix that but not sure when they cam out with tha accessport if they did or not.
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #29
Banned

nice kill. actually i completely belive u. i have 2005 6 speed v6 accord coupe and i am even with 6 speed 5.7 gtos from 25 roll. and a stage 1 srt4 i took by half car.

so from a roll im positive i can take evo or sti.
6speed05accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #30
07 Accord 6 Speed Coupe

Quote:
The vids that I posted I know were stock because the 2 guys racing are my 2 best friends and I was taping . Many people with the MS3 shift at redline(7000rpm)(makes 5lbs) where boost falls on it's face at 6000rpm(makes over 14lbs). Hell I beat a MS3 from a 50mph roll in my SI because he was taking it to redline every gear and bounching of the rev limiter, hahahaha... Some times you beat the car other times you beat the driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in