2006 Lexus GS Sport Sedan w/4.3L V8 and 245hp 3.0L V6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #1
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

2006 Lexus GS Sport Sedan w/4.3L V8 and 245hp 3.0L V6

Lexus Introduces Third-Generation GS Luxury Sports Sedan - Reveals New Design Direction for CompanyLexus Introduces Third-Generation GS Luxury Sports Sedan - Reveals New Design Direction for Company&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

01/06/2004 Detroit

Lexus introduced the new GS luxury sport sedan today at a press conference at the North American International Auto Show. The all-new, more powerful GS utilizes the latest in advanced technology to improve both performance and handling and is the first in a new wave of Lexus products to reflect a new, more passionate direction in styling.

"From a technology standpoint, the GS employs a sophisticated array of advanced safety, comfort and convenience features that will cause even the most enthusiastic driver to take notice," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "From a design standpoint, the new GS will be the first vehicle in our lineup to benefit from a new, more passionate direction in styling."

First All-Wheel Drive Model
Significantly, the new GS will feature all-wheel-drive, the first such application in any Lexus car
, and offer the performance enhancements and advanced vehicle control of the Lexus Vehicle Dynamic Management (VDM) system. Monitoring a variety of sensors, the system is capable of anticipating the onset of a vehicle skid or slide and then helps correct the situation with a combination of braking and throttle control. The new VDM system is less obtrusive than conventional VSC but ultimately more effective.

Performance Optimized
Joining the potent and refined 4.3-liter V8 will be an all-new 245-horsepower V6 engine replacing the current inline six. Both the powerful V6 and V8 engines benefit from an all-new close-ratio 6-speed automatic transmission with a sequential manual-shifting mode.
The combination provides faster and substantially smoother acceleration for even better performance and, surprisingly, improved fuel economy. A new Adaptive Variable Suspension allows the driver to fine-tune suspension damping with four settings ranging from normal-mode for everyday driving to a sport-mode for a tighter, more precise feel.

New Lexus Design Direction
From an architectural standpoint, the GS marks a move towards a more sculptural direction... that is artistic, dynamic, simple... yet intriguing. A two-inch longer wheelbase and short overhangs on the new GS creates a wide, powerful stance. A long hood, pulled-back cabin and slingshot windows recall classic sports car proportions and the vertical grille surrounded by four independent headlamps connects the new GS with the outgoing model, but with a futuristic look. The front also features an aggressive lower valence with integrated fog lamps. Dynamic 18-inch wheels on the V8 model help tie the muscular yet elegant look together.

The creation of a unique spatial feeling in the passenger compartment is central to the new Lexus design direction. The interior of the new GS has a precision, luxury feel with ultra-premium wood, polished metal and leather accents. Everything inside the GS is designed and styled to create a haven for peaceful comfort and relaxation, from contoured and supportive front seats with optional climate control to the standard 10-speaker audio system with simple steering wheel controls.

New Intelligent Luxury Sport Sedan
In addition to a new look and feel, the new GS also improves upon the increasingly complex nature of automotive technology. The GS offers numerous standard features, such as a keyless SmartAccess that allows the driver to lock, unlock and start the car simply by touching the door handle (with a key fob in pocket) and then simply pressing a push-button to start. An advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPM) can detect and notify the driver, via an indicator warning light, of a significant loss in pressure in one or more tires, a condition that could potentially lead to premature tire wear and loss of control. The GS will also feature the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), which helps illuminate a turn or curve as the driver steers into it.

A rear back-up camera is also added for 2006, providing an extra margin of confidence when reversing the vehicle. Available in conjunction with the optional navigation system, it automatically projects an image of what the camera lens can detect behind the vehicle onto the navigation screen when the vehicle is in the reverse gear.

"With the new GS we took all that was good in terms of technology and found ways to make it more intuitive, more intelligent and more relevant to the needs of its driver," said Clements.

Advanced Safety Features
The GS will also offer an optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) that can help reduce collision injury and damage. The system uses a millimeter-wave radar sensor to detect obstacles in front of the car and a pre-collision system computer with vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw rate inputs that help to determine in advance whether a collision is unavoidable. The system then preemptively retracts front seat belts and prepares Brake Assist for increased braking force to help reduce collision speed.

In addition, the new GS gains new knee airbags for the driver and front passenger as well as front and rear side curtain airbags as standard equipment. The Supplemental Restraint System in the new GS also includes variable-force front airbags for both driver and front passenger. Sensors determine the severity of the accident and in turn the force with which to deploy the front airbags, helping to provide the appropriate level of occupant restraint.

"Nearly every feature on the GS makes this sports sedan more manageable and more engaging to drive," said Clements.

Preliminary Specifications
Wheelbase: 112.2 in.
Length: 189.8 in.
Width: 71.7 in.
Height: 56.1 in.
Engines: 3.0 liter V6 - 245 hp; 228 lb.-ft. of torque
4.3 liter V8 - 300 hp; 325 lb.-ft. of torque
Transmission: 6-speed sequential automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

hmmm....so the GS is dropping the 2JZ-GE Inline-6. From what I've read, the next-gen IS300 is also supposed to be sharing the new GS platform. I bet that 3.0L V6 with 245hp/228tq will also be finding its way into the next-gen IS300 also. Too bad the Inline-6 has to go (much sexier ) but it's big, iron block, heavy, and from what I hear, emissions can be a PITA with them for whatever reasons. I bet this 3.0L is based on the current corporate 1MZ-FE engine but tweaked for more top-end power and hopefully a little more enthusiastic sound and growl. The 1MZ-FE in our Highlander is pretty beefy, but it doesn't exactly sound exciting or anything. So hopefully they'll improve that. Given it's a Lexus though, they'll probably try to tweak it so that you can't hear anything at all, lol. Those cars are all about isolation and refinement.

Hmm...wonder if they'll offer a RWD version? AWD-only would sorta suck because not everybody wants or needs that, and it does take away from mileage and performance since it's heavy and eats up power through the extra differentials. Guess we'll see in another year or two.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #3

not bad watson
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 8th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #4

vvt-i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #5

I would think that Lexus would have to offer RWD especially since they sell so many in warm climates, where it is not needed. I bet the AWD will be an option.
AjIsDope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #6

Not bad at all

I see some minor hints of the new Solara's styling in the front end.

And Steve, its a Lexus GS, you will never hear the engine running in that car . Thatís a good thing but also a bad thing as well .

Quote:
Originally posted by AjIsDope on January 9th, 2004 at 02:11 AM

I would think that Lexus would have to offer RWD especially since they sell so many in warm climates, where it is not needed. I bet the AWD will be an option.

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #7
Something Something Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Doom
Hmm. Still too conservative on the horsepower for the V6. 245 doesn't compete with the TL, G, etc but yet costs $10k more. I know it's for luxury more but my car needs balls. Especially when pulling AWD. The front reminds me of an old Protege front. Lexus don't break but they're overpriced in my opinion.

Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #8

is it going to be full tim e AWD or like infiniti's where it only kicks on when the rear wheels are slipping?
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #9
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
looks kinda like a 2004 TL :\
SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #10

The lower bumper looks similar to a Mazda 6. The headlight/grill looks sorta like the current gen Avalon, but with split 4 eye headlights. IMHO, I think its the nicest looking Lexus to ever come out of the factory.
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #11
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
GS AWD w/ V8???? I want one!

Dizzy

Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 29th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC
hmmm....so the GS is dropping the 2JZ-GE Inline-6. From what I've read, the next-gen IS300 is also supposed to be sharing the new GS platform. I bet that 3.0L V6 with 245hp/228tq will also be finding its way into the next-gen IS300 also. Too bad the Inline-6 has to go (much sexier ) but it's big, iron block, heavy, and from what I hear, emissions can be a PITA with them for whatever reasons. I bet this 3.0L is based on the current corporate 1MZ-FE engine but tweaked for more top-end power and hopefully a little more enthusiastic sound and growl. The 1MZ-FE in our Highlander is pretty beefy, but it doesn't exactly sound exciting or anything. So hopefully they'll improve that. Given it's a Lexus though, they'll probably try to tweak it so that you can't hear anything at all, lol. Those cars are all about isolation and refinement.

Hmm...wonder if they'll offer a RWD version? AWD-only would sorta suck because not everybody wants or needs that, and it does take away from mileage and performance since it's heavy and eats up power through the extra differentials. Guess we'll see in another year or two.
Actually, knowing Lexus, they'd sound-deaden the crap out of it and then put in a sport exhaust system or something so you can only hear it with the windows down or from outside of the car.

And the 330 engine is VERY disappointing, TOO much noise in a Lexus as in too much DRONING.
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:35 AM   #13

AWD will be an option for around 1500 more an available ONLY on the V6 models. Yes, it is Full time AWD. Sorry no V8 AWD. Keep in mind we are NOT the target buyers for lexus. Lexus's ideal buyers are more on the conservative side.

V8 is the only way to go anyway. Mine scares the **** out of mustangs. Sounds alot like an american muscle car only smoother.
Just S/C it and youll be hangin with E55 if not faster(depending on YOU the driver). One of SRT's SC cars is hitting 12.01 1/4 mi. You can get the comparable RMM kit for 5k.
NudeGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by NudeGS4
AWD will be an option for around 1500 more an available ONLY on the V6 models. Yes, it is Full time AWD. Sorry no V8 AWD. Keep in mind we are NOT the target buyers for lexus. Lexus's ideal buyers are more on the conservative side.

V8 is the only way to go anyway. Mine scares the **** out of mustangs. Sounds alot like an american muscle car only smoother.
Just S/C it and youll be hangin with E55...
Finally, someone who shares my views lol. I live in the Northeast (Toronto) weather is similar to 50% of Buffalo, 50% NYC. AWD or FWD are important for winter.

I floored the Lexus LS430 and yes, it sounds like a V8 cop car or something, weird but will definitely get some stares lol. It accelerates so fast, while moving that you can't even floor it for more than 0.5-1 seconds without breaking the legal speed limit.
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in