89 V6 MT camrys anyone? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #1

89 V6 MT camrys anyone?

hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone had an 89 camry v6 with a 5 speed. That was my old car actually, and i had to get rid of it cuz my frame cracked due to rust. For its age it completely hauled ass. It was in great condition for its age though. sucks . . . oh well, just posting on a different forum since im kinda bored of the 7th gen accord one right now. Did anyone have an 87 - 91 V6 with the manual tranny?
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

3S-FE ownz 2VZ-FE, beyotch! I wish

Here's our 1990 Camry Deluxe 4-cyl 5spd. Still looking great back in 2001. It had some of the 2nd-gen Camry "trademark" right rear wheel well rust, but other than that it was in great shape.

Engine still pulled strong (as well as 115hp will pull ) and got great mileage (28-30 mpg) considering its age. Only engine issue was hardened valve stem seals, so it would burn a little oil on start-up but wasn't worth the trouble to replace.

207,000 original owner mileage. My dad drove it from 90-98 and then he handed it down to me when he got his 1998 Camry. I drove it from 98 until I got my 01 Accord.

When we got the car, they had a V6 5spd sitting right there and my mom wanted my dad to upgrade and get it, but he felt the 4 with the manual was plenty quick and just went for that instead. Dammit!

You can see the old Camry if you look closely at the Accord pic in my sig also. That car rocked! My folks sold it about 2 years ago for $5000 . How's that for resale?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #3

ABSOLUTE WOW $5000 resale on a 4cyl??? crap. thats nuts. and yea, i had the trademark right rear wheel well rust but i was able to patch it up and it didnt look so bad afterwards. I bluffed quite a few people with that V6 5 speed on the road. My dad drove it from november of 88 to 2000 when it was given to me. I didnt have any engine trouble whatsoever. Just little things here and there - small electrical problems, control arm bushings and thats basically it. VERY happy with that car. We actually traded it and got about $600 towards my AV6 MT. Didnt have time to sell it privately, everything just happened so quick, lol.

Old February 13th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #4

damn, i wish i had pics of my camry
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #5

Actually, I'm mistaken. $5xxx something was the blue book value or something crazy like that. My bad. They actually sold it for like $2500, but that's still some hella good resale considering it was over 10 years old and 200k+ miles.

The only problems ours had was...

a) bad manual tranny synchro at 98k miles (covered by extended warranty)
b) bad alternator and primary ignition coil at 203k miles.
c) it wasn't a V6

Other than that, just normal wear and tear maintenance, and occasional exhaust system work. Also went ahead and replaced the clutch at 98k while getting the synchronizer fixed, even though it was only about 1/3rd worn. Never did anything about the right rear wheel well rust. Most solid and dependable car my family has ever owned. After that one, my parents are hooked on Toyotas for life. They also had an 85 LE hatchback (that car was lightyears ahead of its time), and now a 98 LE and 00 XLE. Next up are retirement cars. An Echo/Prius for getting around town and little trips, and then a Highlander (possibly the new Hybrid coming out) for longer trips or hauling stuff.

I've got a bunch more pics, including the interior. Still in perfect shape and best of all, no rattles! They don't build interiors like they used to. Also got pics of the odometer rolling over from 199,999 to 200,000 and then 200,001.
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #6

well, i was always hard on my clutch, had it replaced at like 120k and it was burned out and gone by then. The reason i didnt go for a toyota again was cuz they stopped production of the V6 MTs!!!!!!! I believe the last one they made was 96. After that, all autos. Then they stopped solara V6 MTs 2 or 3 years ago i think. That was by far the best car my family has ever owned. Never a problem. My mom was gettin problems with her E320 (which she was blindly in love with) and Jeep grand cherokee at like 85k miles after only 5 years. Id laugh in her face and take off. By that time i was far past 100k and just kept with the normal maintenance. Ahh well . . . good times
Old February 14th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #7

i had a 91' v6 camry. I miss that car . i got rearended by some drunk f'cker back in fall of 2002. the rear end of my car was pushed up to the back seat. luckily i didnt get hurt. that car probably would of lasted me another good 5 years. o well the insurancee company paid me 4,500 for it, but still i loved that car and it only had 127k on the ticker on the day of its death.

Stevtec:

i also have two question about the 4-banger camry just like yours. Where is the stick for the tranny fluid if there is one? My friend is buying one of those cars from another friend and the shifter is hard as hell to put into gear is that have to do with a bad syncro and what is the syncro? The kid who is selling it says it just needs tranny fluid and i was like bs.
streetxdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM   #8

two of my friends had auto camrys in that generation one four and one six.. the four i loved because of course it was a rock solid car and got good mileage, and the sic i loved just because it was in fantastic condition and had funky as hell 70s couch upholstery.

the 4 was pretty slow, felt real good just driving around, but when you actually got on it, you realized you got 90% of its power just driving around

the 6 was faster, but still slow, i remember i had a dead even race with it in my Avenger, lol. that was a funny race. he said he was gaining on me when he pressed his turbo button or whatever that button on the shifter is , lol!

anyway, i want to pick up a 4 cylinder because they're great to drive and get good mileage. it also looks easy to turbo (and i think that would be funny, and i love to have funny cars) except that i dont know how that works with a swing style map???

only thing holding me back is that they still havent depreciated as much as other cars their age, so if i have 2000 to spend on another car anytime soon ( as opposed to on the cars i already have) id probly rather get a clunky old turbo dodge and go 15 flat for 15 bucks instead of getting the camry.. maybe one day
Vigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by streetxdreamer on February 14th, 2004 at 05:35 PM

i also have two question about the 4-banger camry just like yours. Where is the stick for the tranny fluid if there is one? My friend is buying one of those cars from another friend and the shifter is hard as hell to put into gear is that have to do with a bad syncro and what is the syncro? The kid who is selling it says it just needs tranny fluid and i was like bs.
No clue where the tranny dipstick is, or if there even is one.

Contrary to popular belief, you really don't need to change MT tranny fluid and it's usually good for the life of the car. We never touched ours in the 207k miles we had it. Of course, if you spring a leak or something you'll need to fix it and top it off.

The shifter was pretty good and precise, but 1st gear was always a beyotch to get in. Just try shifting to a "parallel" gear first. If you go into 3rd at first, then it should slide right into 1st a lot easier. Likewise, Reverse was always a pain. Shift to 4th first, then it'll get into Reverse a lot easier.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in