2004 Camry SE 3.3 V6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #1

2004 Camry SE 3.3 V6

hey guys. I don't know of any toyota specific websites so i guessed this would be the 2nd best place to ask... I just got a 2004 Camry SE V6, with the 3.3 liter engine. I haven't really pushed it since im still breaking it in, but i can already feel how smooth and torquey it is below 3000rpms. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if Premium fuel will boost its power as it does in the 7gen AV6? right now im using regular 87. Oh and if anyone has any dyno graphs of the 3.3 engine that'd be great!
FAST99CCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #2
erratic.

Send a message via AIM to Celica01 Send a message via Yahoo to Celica01
i have no idea..but congradz on the new toyota

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

omg sig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Celica01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #3

besides 20tq and 15hp more from the 03-04 differences, i know for sure from experience; the 91 octane burns a heck of a lot of more fuel, compare to 87 octane fuel that burns quite a bit less and save quite a bit of gas, however i can definately feel the pull and less knocks from the 91 octane.

Last edited by vvt-i; March 14th, 2004 at 01:50 AM..
vvt-i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #4

i always use 93 octane so im not sure.. all i know is that that car is a beast. the tires break loose so easily on that thing and i can actually feel torque steer- albeit, torque steer is a bad thing, it still is an indication that its pulls pretty hard for a FF car.
ricerokets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 14th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #5

i've been wondering how much difference it'll be from going 93 since my area doesn't have it but besides that, i'm using royal purple, nothing noticeable for me only thing i notice saves quite a bit of gas
Old March 14th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #6

So using 91 or 93 will give some added power, cool! I'm really liking this car so far, Toyota quality rocks
Old March 14th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #7
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

The car is rated to run on premium, so you're not making the rated HP and TQ numbers unless you use 91+ octane. The 3MZ-FE has a high 10.8 compression ratio, so I wouldn't use regular too often if I were you.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by TH23
The car is rated to run on premium, so you're not making the rated HP and TQ numbers unless you use 91+ octane. The 3MZ-FE has a high 10.8 compression ratio, so I wouldn't use regular too often if I were you.
I was told that i can use 87 octane no problem.. I think the manual says that too, il have to double check now.
Old March 16th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #9

On previous Toyota V6's, they usually state that running 91+octane is for "improved" performance. I'm not sure if they recommend or require 91+
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 17th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #10

The high compression of the 3mz is ok w/ 89 for NORMAL use (keeping it under the torque band) but if you want to push it to high rpms, I'd go with the premium stuff.

Knock sensors are VERY expensive to replace x_x Just ask all the supercharged 1MZ people at solaraguy.com lol

BTW for anyone that doesn't know. THere is a 76 station in Pasadena, Ca that has 100 octane at about 5.50 a gallon x_X It's listed as "Racing Fuel" on the sign =]
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by vvt-i
besides 20tq and 15hp more from the 03-04 differences, i know for sure from experience; the 91 octane burns a heck of a lot of more fuel, compare to 87 octane fuel that burns quite a bit less and save quite a bit of gas, however i can definately feel the pull and less knocks from the 91 octane.
This is an interesting observation, but is the opposite of what I've experienced with my 2003.5 VVT-i V-6. I've had the car for 11 months and put on 31,000 miles now. I use 93 octane the vast majority of the time (maybe only eight-10 tanks of 87). On each drink of 87, MPGs go down by 2-3.

The 1MZ (3.0L predecessor of the 3MZ) is designed to use flexible spark timing to allow use of both fuel choices. The engine advances timing as far as the knock sensors permit. Higher octane allows more advance, and thus a more efficient power stroke, all of which mean better output and mileage (mileage only if, of course, you're not taking excessive advantage of the performance...). If you choose to use cheaper 87 fuel, the engine retards timing to stave off knock, but suffers some inefficiency as a result. Since it's designed to do either, no harm will come either way.

I ASSUME, and it's only an assumption, that the 3MZ, being a very close relative of the 1MZ, is probably set to operate the same way, but check your manual to be sure.

Gene.
ekpolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:44 PM   #12

in toyotanation the people with 3mz's some/most of them are using 87 octane and seem to be okay from what they said, but actually go for the 89. on the otherhand, they mentioned like what gene said above...

from a member originally posted by hms:

"I use the midgrade 89. You should be fine on 87. The bit about "added performance" is a reference to the fact that your car uses a knock sensor to adjust it's timing for the octane in use. More octane = more timing advance = added performance. "
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:46 PM   #13
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by ekpolk
This is an interesting observation, but is the opposite of what I've experienced with my 2003.5 VVT-i V-6. I've had the car for 11 months and put on 31,000 miles now. I use 93 octane the vast majority of the time (maybe only eight-10 tanks of 87). On each drink of 87, MPGs go down by 2-3.
If the other poster is getting poorer mileage on premium it's because they were pushing it a lot harder.

Our Highlander (1MZ, 10.5:1 CR) definitely has more power and gets slightly better mileage on 93 than on 87. I have some OBD-II logs and that mofo was running as much as 28 degrees of advance at WOT and high RPM. With 87 it most definitely would have been getting knock retard and dropping power. Not even my Maxima (10.0:1 CR) runs that much timing. It does 25 degrees.

Quote:
Originally posted by ekpolk
The 1MZ (3.0L predecessor of the 3MZ) is designed to use flexible spark timing to allow use of both fuel choices. The engine advances timing as far as the knock sensors permit. Higher octane allows more advance, and thus a more efficient power stroke, all of which mean better output and mileage (mileage only if, of course, you're not taking excessive advantage of the performance...). If you choose to use cheaper 87 fuel, the engine retards timing to stave off knock, but suffers some inefficiency as a result. Since it's designed to do either, no harm will come either way.

I ASSUME, and it's only an assumption, that the 3MZ, being a very close relative of the 1MZ, is probably set to operate the same way, but check your manual to be sure.

Gene.
All correct, and good info.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:18 AM   #14

I should also have added that this is my second 1MZ equipped vehicle. I drove a 2001 Highlander for a little over a year, and it had the 220hp version. For whatever reason, perhaps the weight difference, the performance disparity between 87 and 93 fuel was much more noticeable in the Highlander than it is in my present Camry. This is a SUBJECTIVE observation, though, and I have no hard data to back it up. Another possibility is that the 220 and 210 (Camry) hp engines both retard back to about the same point when fed the 87 swill, which of course, would mean a greater loss in the Highlander engine. But even in the Camry, the loss is noticeable enough to me that I almost always slake its thirst with premium, even with prices approaching $2 per gallon. For those who don't mind (or can't feel) the 87 loss, by all means save the $ and use 87. It is, afterall, a free country. Too bad gas isn't. . .

Gene
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:20 AM   #15

Our Highlander moves *very* well for a 3900 lb AWD automatic with still only a 3.0L. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota tweaked up the ECU on the Highlander to allow a little more maximum advance. It also has the dual throttle bodies vs the Cam's single, so that helps breathing also.

Say the most the cars can run at WOT/redline on 87 is 22* of advance and 28* on 91. Maybe on the Camry they just soft limit it to 25* on premium, but allow the HL to advance up to 28*? This is why I love OBD-II scanners so much - you can figure all of this stuff out.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:47 AM   #16

I gotta get me one of those scanners. What are the options? Cost effective? Where & how? Most importantly, can you do more than just read with them (i.e. tweak)? I'm almost hoping the answer is "no" because if you can, I'll probably be finding out what happens when a cylinder head traveling at high velocity strikes the underside of a closed hood, if you know what I mean. . .

Gene.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:18 AM   #17

lol, well I have an Auterra OBD-II scanner that works with my Palm OS PDAs.

And it'll also let you export to CSV files, which you can then play with in Excel and pretty up to look like this...

Unfortunately you can't tweak. Only the dealer tools can do that. The OBD-II scanners are read only, but they do let you reset check engine lights and monitor all of the engine parameters which is good for tuning and diagnosing problems. There are basic OBD-II scanners out there for $100 or so, but they don't give you logging capabilites and will usually just tell you which check engine codes are set, what they are, and reset them. The best ones IMO are the ones that will hookup to either a laptop or a PDA. Then you get full monitoring capabilities and can also log (like a dyno or track run) and go back later and see what the engine was doing.

- http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/obdscan.html (laptop of Palm)
- http://www.auterraweb.com (Palm only)
- http://www.autotap.com (laptop or Palm)
- http://www.pocketlogger.com (Palm only)

There are also scanners out there for Pocket PC but few and far between. I prefer the Palm ones because Palms are cheap, they give you plenty of power for logging/monitoring, and they're not big and clumsy like a laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in