My RX330 Test Drive - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:40 AM   #1
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Red face My RX330 Test Drive

Well, I drove the RX for the first time tonight. My mom's out of town so I have the house and garage to myself for 5 days Taking advantage of the situation, I decided to take the RX330 for a little late-night test drive

This review is going to sound extremely negative, but keep in mind that I'm a car-guy and not a Luxury SUV-guy.

The first thing I noticed is that the 3MZ-FE idles really high (1500rpm) for the first minute or so during warm-up, but it's so darn smooth that you can't even tell without looking at the tach. Definitely a good thing. As I was backing out of the garage, I soon discovered that rearward visibility is all but nonexistent in the RX, especially at night. So I had to roll the window down and stick my head out to see where I was going . Definitely not a good thing, IMO. When I finally got out of the driveway, I was surprised to find that the Toyota/Lexus 5-speed auto isn't all it's cracked up to be. At first, I gave it the benefit of the doubt because the engine and tranny were cold, but its performance didn't improve much after warming up. I know this sounds really awful, but driving the RX330 actually makes me appreciate my AV6 more than ever. First of all, the electronic throttle control is horrible. Throttle response was just plain numb and the loose, disconnected accelerator pedal made me feel as if I was playing a video game. When I pushed the gas, there'd be a slight pause while the ECU tried to figure out how much throttle was needed. I'm glad there wasn't any traffic on the road when I pulled out of my neighborhood for the first time in this thing, because the throttle lag makes quick take-offs difficult. After the lag, I was thrown back in the seat in first gear as the revs would quickly fly up to 3000 before a hard shift into 2nd, followed by a smoother shift into 3rd, then 4th, and finally, 5th. After all of that, I was only going 40mph. Using a similar amount of throttle, my AV6 can hit 45mph in the same distance without topping 3000rpm. I'm sure the engine is strong by itself, but the unresponsive ETC and upshift-happy tranny make it feel sluggish in regular driving, even compared to my AV6. SteVTEC would definitely complain about this car

After getting up to cruising speed, I found the ride to be very supple and road noise minimal. The RX would definitely make a great vehicle for long trips on the highway. The suspension lets some of the smaller bumps and pavement irregularities reach the cabin, but the bigger bumps are absorbed for the most part which is impressive given the 18" wheels and low-profile tires. The brakes feel very responsive and the pedal is easy to modulate, much like my AV6. The steering is very light and pretty much effortless which is the complete opposite of what Iím accustomed to. Plus, it locks on-center nicely and requires very little course correction on the freeway. Just don't try any quick maneuvering until you've gotten used to how it will respond. At one point, a possum crossed my path which required a quick maneuver to the right to avoid hitting it. I quickly jerked the wheel as I would in my AV6 (big mistake) and the handling limitations of the tall wagon instantly became apparent as I almost lost control In fact, if the road had been wet, I probably wouldnít be here typing this right now. Still, it handles like a car in most normal situations and has less body roll in turns than I expected. That brings me back to the tranny which I found to be very reluctant to downshift without heavy throttle input. I would often have to manually downshift into a lower gear to avoid lugging out of a low-speed (<25mph) corner in the very tall 4th gear. I think whoever programmed the shift-maps for this tranny should be fired immediately. I know the transmission has adaptive logic, but it takes too many miles to learn the driverís style (500-1000) and is very frustrating in the mean time. I think a simpler, non-adaptive transmission would work much better in a car like this. The AV6 has a much simpler transmission, but it seems to be much more intelligent about picking the appropriate gear for a given situation.

All in all, I think it is a very nice car but itís just not my cup of tea. Itís completely different from what I drive everyday and itís way to ďquirkyĒ for me. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer my good Ďole cable-operated throttle and non-adaptive tranny over the gimmicky electronic stuff. Oh well, itís my momís car and as long as sheís happy with it, Iím happy with it. I just hope she never reads this because it might make her feel bad about her purchase.
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:32 AM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

The ultra-laggy numb feeling ETC sounds just like my in-law's ML350, which I've driven. The cable-throttle actuated non-adaptive 4AT in our 1MZ Highlander is very responsive.

Dizzy said the lag went away in his AWD Sienna (same drivetrain) with premium, so maybe your mom puts regular gas in it.

The RX is definitely not an enthusiast car though, that's for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM   #3
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

I'm hoping that there's going to be a software upgrade for the ECU/Tranny that will improve the throttle response, shift quality and shift timing. There was a TSB issued a few months ago for the 5AT tranny lag problem that involved an ECU reflash, but many who had it done found that it actually made the shift quality worse and that it didn't fix the ETC lag. I have a feeling that our RX330 (built 05/04) has that new ECU software because there's no lag between the shifts but the shifts are very firm, almost to the point of being harsh in the case of the 1-2 shift.

I found the receipt from the last time my mom filled up and she put 93 in it. It's possible that she may have gotten a bad tank of gas which would definitely cause poor performance. Either that, or maybe the previous tank was 87 and the ECU hasn't adjusted the ignition timing to the higher octane fuel yet. I'm hoping that's the case because it's such a beautiful car that doesn't really deserve to drive so poorly .
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 24th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #4
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
It's probably the case of the ECU has learned your moms driving style and the lag is a result of that. My wife drove the Sienna for a week and the lag came back. Much of it stems from the fact that she doesn't like taking off fast from the light.....Just a nice slow steady acceleration.

I had the lag for about a week before it reverted back to "peppy" mode. That's what sucks about the "adaptive tranny" It takes about a week for it to learn you driving habit and shift accordingly.

The Sienna AWD has the exact same tranny, engine and ECU as the RX330 The limited has the leather w/ woodgrain steering wheel and shifter and wood grain trim. It has the same back up camera, nav, and power liftgate mechanism.

Which is why I went for the Sienna xle limited AWD instead of the RX330. I needed the space. 2 dogs and a baby will do that to you. LOL. Oh, did I mention OEM HID as well?

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #5
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

That makes sense I don't know why I didn't think of that She does drive slowly and smoothly most of the time, so my slightly more aggressive driving style was probably confusing the heck out of the ECU. I just hope that I didn't completely overwrite what the computer had memorized for her driving style. She wouldn't be too happy about that

Wow, your Sienna is fully loaded That thing should be wearing a Lexus badge with all of those features. Our RX330 is well-equipped, but it's far from loaded. We just have the FWD model with power liftgate, 18" wheels, tow-prep package (don't know why), rain-sensing wipers, wood/leather steering wheel and shifter, and Premium package (leather, moonroof, power steering wheel with memory, and roof rack). So ours doesn't have the Nav/back up camera or HIDs . In fact, it's pretty much the base model as far as what our local Lexus dealer sells. All of the RX's sold in my area come with the 18's, tow-prep, rain-sensing wipers and at least the Premium package. No base models here.

My mom fell in love with the RX the first time she saw it and there just wasn't anything else she wanted. It's not that she needed the space or anything, she just wanted 'the look' I tried like hell to talk her into a new TL, ES330 and even something cheaper like a Camry or Accord. As you can see, my arguements were futile
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in