IS300 potential.... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:17 AM   #1
I love you Cat...forever

Send a message via AIM to KCMC582
Lightbulb IS300 potential....

i havent done much research on these cars, cuz i always thought they were small, and not as good as 3 series, but ive begun to start thinkin about them.

what kind of bolt on type potential do these things have? i mean, 215 HP and something around there TQ doesnt seem all that impressive by todays standards, but with simple mods if they can make lots of power, like ECU, I/H/E, pullies, whatever, if they can be powerhouses, i might consider them. i will check out IS300.net in the meantime, but anything you guys can tell me will be great. thanks.
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:20 AM   #2

i've heard they are very turbo friendly, its the same bottom end as the Supra motor (this is what i've HEARD, no clue how accurate the info is). Go check out a IS forum and see what kind of #s those guys are putting down, i dont think i'd ever buy a car again w/out searching a forum. KC you want a new car everyday, it must be a jersey thing cus i do too! LOL
smokedoutv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:34 AM   #3
I love you Cat...forever

i know those motors do LOVE turbos, but i dont think that will be an option. just simple stuff will pretty much be what im gonna stick with. im checking them out now, cuz the used price on these really isnt that bad.
KCMC582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:56 AM   #4

^ you might want to check when they are changing the body style, that could be why the prices seem to be pretty good. That is if you dont mind having the old body style over whatever the new one is.

If it wasnt for gas prices i think i'd buy a truck and put some big ass rims on it. (dont ask where that came from?)

Hey KC do you get any deals on MP3 players? I like this little samsung one. dont you guys have an employee store or able to buy referb prroducts?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:13 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
get a IS and throw in a supra tt engine in there

but the IS is quick and with the triptronic stuff its kool
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:13 AM   #6
I love you Cat...forever

haha, yeah i can get deals on some new products...which model did u want? i HATE mp3 players, btw, haha.

i dont mind the older bodystyle TOO much, as long as i can work on it and change it to my liking
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:23 AM   #7

the Samsung YP-T5V

whats your beef w/ MP3 players? I hear alot of people complain about the song quality but i really cant hear a difference, maybe i need to pick up some QTips too

yeah i like the old body style too but you know how it is when you buy something and then the "new" one comes out, that pisses me off. If you dont mind then h*ll i dont either
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:33 AM   #8
I love you Cat...forever

i just hate supporting them, hate the people who have them and cant use them. i just never need that much damn music at one point in time. ill check the price for you.

i just found out that IHE and ecu gives you 36 rhp...so you figure with 20% drivetrain loss, it is making about 210 hp and hopefully about the same TQ at the rear wheels...not BAD, but also not G35 territory either.

smokey, you got PM

Last edited by KCMC582; June 22nd, 2004 at 09:36 AM..
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:46 AM   #9

yeah stupid people aggrivate me too, that swhy i got out of customer service.

how much do those mods cost for 36 rwhp? the down side is that there isnt a comprable model made by toyota (that i know of, like the CLS, TLS and Accord share some parts) so mods will most likely be kinda pricey because of the Lexus name. I have nothing to back this up but that how things SEEM to go.

and you really cant worry about competing with other cars, even if your faster then any stock car on the road that will end eventually. They'll make a 500hp neon just to piss you off if you want aG35 i wouldnt "settle" for a IS, even though there may be a price difference still spending around $20k and not being totally happy sucks. And now the G35 has been out for a few years you might be able to find more used or a lease return.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:06 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to PMantis24
Quote:
Originally posted by smokedoutv6
and you really cant worry about competing with other cars, even if your faster then any stock car on the road that will end eventually. They'll make a 500hp neon just to piss you off
Words of a wise man, if only more people can get this through their heads, things would be peaceful. There will always be something faster out there.
PMantis24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:46 PM   #11
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

there's a guy around here with a turboed IS300 manual. It's hella sweet.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:12 PM   #12
I love you Cat...forever

yeah, that guy with the yellow one

and yeah, i do need to accept the fact that there will always be something faster, but id like something that can at least KEEP UP! its so disheartening seeing my AV6 getting laughed at be 5 speed 4 bangers
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
and yeah, i do need to accept the fact that there will always be something faster, but id like something that can at least KEEP UP! its so disheartening seeing my AV6 getting laughed at be 5 speed 4 bangers
i def feel your pain, i thought the 6th gen was something its not when i bought it, but i've learned from my mistakes. Maybe i'm spoiled because i have a truck thast can haul as* so the 4cy 5spds wanting to race dont bug me, but i came out of a geo tracker that had like 90 hp and was slow as a donkey, so i think the Av6 is at least "acceptable" for everyday driving. The main reason i'm keeping the honda for now is that its paid for, and i have an extended warranty for the glass tranny, not the greatest but hey at least its MINE
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:38 PM   #14
I love you Cat...forever

yeah, the extended warranty is nice, but mine ends in 6,000 miles, so i think i should start lookin now. i always liked the IS, but i dont know, the 3 series is nice and classy, and A4s are nice but AHHHHHH!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by smokedoutv6
i def feel your pain, i thought the 6th gen was something its not when i bought it, but i've learned from my mistakes. Maybe i'm spoiled because i have a truck thast can haul as* so the 4cy 5spds wanting to race dont bug me, but i came out of a geo tracker that had like 90 hp and was slow as a donkey, so i think the Av6 is at least "acceptable" for everyday driving. The main reason i'm keeping the honda for now is that its paid for, and i have an extended warranty for the glass tranny, not the greatest but hey at least its MINE
lol, i'm sure you are NOT alone

My first car was an Hyundai Exel that was no faster than someone on a bicycle when the AC was on

So the Accord was plenty fast for me when I first got it. It's definately acceptable. Same here, it's all paid for, it does its job as my daily driver, tranny is still fine and I do have that ext warranty. So it's a keeper for now, I got my S to play with when I need that extra something

---

Back to topic, yeah KC I totally understand where you're coming from. You don't have to have the fastest car, but something that has respectable speed

The IS is definately modable, so are A4 1.8T's, not sure about the newer ones though
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:48 PM   #16
I love you Cat...forever

see, the thing thats making me lean toward the IS is that it is fast out of the box. the 1.8T is **** stock, from what i understand. it needs mods to get up to acceptable power, and their 3.0 doesnt have much aftermarket support. so if im in a slump and cant mod at the moment, what am i gonna be happy with? IS or A4?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by KCMC582
see, the thing thats making me lean toward the IS is that it is fast out of the box. the 1.8T is **** stock, from what i understand. it needs mods to get up to acceptable power, and their 3.0 doesnt have much aftermarket support. so if im in a slump and cant mod at the moment, what am i gonna be happy with? IS or A4?
Time for a test drive!

Search for used ones in the area and test drive both, then you'll know which one you like better out of the box before it's modded

Here's some stats on the IS... I'm sure you knew this already
Horsepower : 215hp @ 5800 rpm
Torque : 218 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm
Redline : 6400 rpm

Top speed : 143 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 7.0 sec(manual), 7.4 sec(auto)
0- mile : 15.3 sec @ 90.2 mph(manual)
60-0 braking distance : 115 ft.
200 ft skidpad : 0.83 g

I don't know where that came from, but you DON'T want to see the A4 stats, you'll be disappointed.

But, luxury wise the A4 would be better IMO, definately more pimpable (is that a word? lol) also has awd...
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:26 PM   #18

The 2JZ has plenty of aftermarket support. It's just that the 1.8T comes with a turbo from the factory and the 2JZ you have to add it afterwards.

Between an IS300 and an A4, I'd take the iS300 anyday. The A4 will end up like pretty much every other German car. Unreliable and expensive to fix. Whereas the IS will give you years of trouble-free service. Toyota/Lex overbuilds the crap out of their cars and that's what makes them so durable.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:17 PM   #19
8cyls, 2 turbos, 30psi

Send a message via AIM to r.j-lo
I thought the IS300 had the smae engine as the non-turbo Supra

The A4 is nice, but I would go for the Lexus. Besides looking fine as all hell, the aftermarket is ripe and the potential is nasty. I would have to go back, but the numbers that some of these modded IS300 put down is just sinful.
r.j-lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by r.j-lo
I thought the IS300 had the smae engine as the non-turbo Supra

The A4 is nice, but I would go for the Lexus. Besides looking fine as all hell, the aftermarket is ripe and the potential is nasty. I would have to go back, but the numbers that some of these modded IS300 put down is just sinful.
Yea, same engine, aluminum block instead of iron
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:25 AM   #21
I love you Cat...forever

well once again, my thoughts have drifted back to the maxima....its bigger and more powerful than the IS, but not as pimp. and is the IS really just a hair bigger than a corolla?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:49 AM   #22

Quote:
well once again, my thoughts have drifted back to the maxima....its bigger and more powerful than the IS, but not as pimp. and is the IS really just a hair bigger than a corolla?
The IS is definately not really big if that's what you're looking for.

New Max? old Max? Also, as powerful as the NEW Maxima is stock, it's still FWD, the IS is RWD, very different handling characteristics if you care about that

Now where's Steve to give me some argument that FWD is better than RWD
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:10 AM   #23
I love you Cat...forever

the 03 maxima. they have THE maxima i want at my local acura dealer for a decent price, nothing great. im gonna swing by there and see what i can talk to them about.

the max handled like, well, a big FWD car when i drove it, haha. is the IS smaller than a 3 series?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by PMantis24
Yea, same engine, aluminum block instead of iron
The block is still iron but the heads are aluminum, IIRC. The GTE turbo version is all iron.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:44 AM   #25

Quote:
lol, you're looking for the "perfect" car and it just doesn't exist. Every car has pros and cons and make one tradeoff or another.

On the IS300, everybody loves to talk about how smooth and sexy that Inline-6 engine is. BUT....the problem is that Inline-6 engines are extremely long and very inefficient with space. An Inline-6 is almost twice as long as a V-6, so that means a lot more of the car's size has to be dedicated to fitting the engine. Ditto with the BMW 3-series. Net result - the cars have small and cramped in the interiors just to make room to fit the I-6 engine.

That's why I'm eager to see the next-gen IS which will probably have the 3.0L 245hp V-6 from the next-gen GS also, and aluminum block vs iron for weight savings and additional performance. It'll probably be a new variant of Toyota's "MZ" series V6, sorta like Honda's J-series and Nissan's VQ.

I like the IS, but in reality it'd probably be way too cramped for me. I don't fit well in an A4 either. Then again I'm 6'3" and 230lbs so I need a bigger car. I'm hoping the next-gen IS will be a lot roomier thanks to the rumored V6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:47 AM   #26
I love you Cat...forever

you said the same thing my dad said...that what im looking for doesnt exist....or it does and i cant afford it. and you are both right, dammit

i think the maxima is pretty much as close as i can get to what i want. modding potential, big, powerful, a step up from the accord...
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by PMantis24
Now where's Steve to give me some argument that FWD is better than RWD
I want the superior handling, balance, and control of RWD, but the space efficiency and inclement weather friendliness of FWD, and the all-out traction of AWD without the added weight and drivetrain parasitics, all in a single car. Oh wait, that's unpossible.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC
I want the superior handling, balance, and control of RWD, but the space efficiency and inclement weather friendliness of FWD, and the all-out traction of AWD without the added weight and drivetrain parasitics, all in a single car. Oh wait, that's unpossible.

We'll call it SWD (Steve Wheel Drive)
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Jliu2k2
The v8 IS430 will be crazy if they release it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in