new facelift and redesign of 2005 camry - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #1

Post new facelift and redesign of 2005 camry

alright here's the new updated version of the 2005 gen 5.5 camry...

from www.toyota.com under "photos and colors "

Last edited by vvt-i; July 8th, 2004 at 12:46 PM..
vvt-i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

very nice!

So what exactly did they change? I can tell that it got a face lift and that the tail lights are different. It sorta looks like they rounded off the tail more in the first pic, but in the fourth one it looks the same. Hmm...no summary of changes at either Edmunds.com or pressroom.toyota.com.

Looks like they added a "Standard" model to compete with the Accord DX and Alty 2.5(not-S). Wow, the SE V6 gets standard 17" wheels now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
very nice!

So what exactly did they change? I can tell that it got a face lift and that the tail lights are different. It sorta looks like they rounded off the tail more in the first pic, but in the fourth one it looks the same. Hmm...no summary of changes at either Edmunds.com or pressroom.toyota.com.

Looks like they added a "Standard" model to compete with the Accord DX and Alty 2.5(not-S). Wow, the SE V6 gets standard 17" wheels now!

A very smart alternative to the Lex ES300 (or whatever the hell the model number is...).

It looks like the interior shot of the car with the mechanical climate controls doesn't have electroluminescent gauges and that the one with automatic controls has the fancier gauges. I probably am just not seeing clearly. Toyota wouldn't go to the trouble of putting two different kinds of gauge clusters in their car, would they?
DaveDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 8th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #4

Yes, they would. Toyota has been unusually active on changes to the 5th gen Camry.

The SE's have a white faced reverse thingamabob guage cluster and all others have a normal black faced white numbered conventional setup. At least that was for 02-04's. Not sure on 05's yet. The electroluminescent guages could be new for 05 (the 02-04's didn't have them). The other photo in there could have just been an 02-04 pic that the dummy at Toyota didn't know was no longer up to date. There's always a ton of typos on these sites.

Toyota is now on their 3rd or possibly 4th V6/auto powertrain setup in the 5g Camry also. They started out with the carryover 192hp/4AT. Then they went to a 210hp/5AT. And now the SE V6 only has the 225hp/5AT. I heard a few early 03's were even built with the 210hp/4AT setup also.

That's what I like about Toyota. If they don't feel good about how their products stand up to the competition, they're not afraid to make major and aggressive changes to them rather than let them rot on the market and be uncompetetive.

We have the electroluminscent whatever the heck they're called guages in our Highlander and they're definitely very nice. It'd be sweet if the Camry got them too.

Last edited by SteVTEC; July 8th, 2004 at 02:39 PM..
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #5

ah, I found it.

Yup, 05 guages are all new. Toyota calls them "Optitron"

"Optitron meters with speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature and fuel level gauges; digital odometer and twin tripmeters" standard on all models. The SE gets "Amber-colored Optitron sport meters".

So it looks like pic #6 up there is an "oopsie" 04 pic and not an 05.
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #6

so here's the differences that most of the people see or listed:

taillights
headlights
front bumper
fog lights
wheels and tires
steering wheel (different style with audio control)
optitron meters
rearrangement of the cup holders
- also in the rear passenger seats the middle seat the person has a headrest *finally*
and oh yea there's a redesign of the compartment area near the "ac adapter" thing there's now a cover sorta like the honda accords where they have their own compartment to open or close you know what i mean.

Last edited by vvt-i; July 9th, 2004 at 10:34 AM..
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #7

oh yea the pics i posted from the toyota site... with the differences with the gauges and we see the differences with the climate control... probably well from our version the le and se has the "knob" version of the a/c and all that mumble jumble... but the xle has the auto climate "non-knob version... but i see some models of the se has the auto climate control but i guess they pay a bit more on it... since i have the knob version ... but yea i do see the differences in the "optitron" and the lighting of a brighter gauge
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #8

okay okay... finally for the toyota windom or otherwise known for the lexus es330 that we know of here. there's a few changes here and there also

well here's the pictures and you'll know what i mean

thanks for clublexus for providing the pictures.

as one of the member in the forum in clublexus, he mentioned "i got a 00 gs300 but man, when i had the 04 es330 as a loaner car, i was falling asleep in the seats.. its so plush and comfortable.. i wish my car had more of the leather couch feeling than it is now."

Last edited by vvt-i; July 8th, 2004 at 06:51 PM..
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #9

I dunno about that amber stuff... Sorta reminds me of Nissans nowadays.

I think I like the regular white ones in the LE/XLE better.
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #10

dang, i'm sure a fanatic on this stuff just kidding

but yeah, along with the toyota windom/lexus es330
the headlight from that car just reminded me of the camry version in the singapore/taiwan/china etc... with respect of being the brother/sister of the lexus ES

well here's the pictures

on this 3rd picture i posted on this camry from the asian market...
the taillight on the car is very similar to our US market with out 2005 camry except the fact it's not included with the trunk piece like tha avalon here. in addition to that the taillight on the top is reded out then cleared on the bottem kinda like "Junction Produce's" taillight as you notice in the picture, but here it's cleared on the top then red then clear again. but it's sure it awesome to see the other camry market with some few goodies of luxury stuff
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #11
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Ooh, I like the changes to the Camry for '05. It looks better than ever Much better than the 7th generation of a certain car that's popular around here

My favorite change to the exterior is the taillights, the clear/red/clear is very eye-catching yet tasteful. The rest of the changes are very subtle and go almost unnoticed. As for the interior, the redesigned center console looks much better now especially on the XLE (all of the wood looks nice). Toyota has always been the master of beautifully crafted interiors and I wish Honda would take a few notes. Anyway, the gauges are a big improvement and their blue-ish color is attractive. Oh! And it looks like they finally gave the automatic a SportShift gate That's something else Honda needs to put in the Accord.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:02 AM   #12
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Not bad , but I kind of liked the old taillights better.

Quote:
ah, I found it.

Yup, 05 guages are all new. Toyota calls them "Optitron"

"Optitron meters with speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature and fuel level gauges; digital odometer and twin tripmeters" standard on all models. The SE gets "Amber-colored Optitron sport meters".
It doesn't surprise me that they added this .

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #13
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Our Lexus has the Optitron gauges and they're pretty sweet. When you open the door, rings around the gauges light up. Then, when you insert the key, the numbers and lines light up. Finally, when you start the car, the needles light up.
Old July 9th, 2004, 06:37 AM   #14

Hmm. Optitron, eh? Sounds like an Autobot. (You know...Transformers...Autobots...Decepticons? Damn, I just dated myself.)

Anyway, I guess it's easier to say/spell than electroluminescent.

I bet even Chevy Cavaliers--oops--Cobalts get these kinds of gauges in a few more years. Hell, there's a pretty cheap car out there with the option right now, I just can't remember which one. Scion tC? Mazda 3?
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #15

in the optitron item of the gauge...

besides the option that the camry has it now and the lexus.
doesn't the acura vehicle have them too? i thought the TL or the TSX has them when one opens the door and they light up or something like that?
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #16

TH23:
Quote:
Oh! And it looks like they finally gave the automatic a SportShift gate
you've mentioned that they have a sportshift gate? i realized they have it on the latest solara and so on. but i'm not sure if if they do have it in this camry v6 or whatsoever? i think probably it's the same as the gen 5 camry cause in the interior 3d thing on the toyota official website it shows the shift thing looks the same...
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #17
530whp soon

TOYOTA CAN AFFORD any or all the changes. The last year they made $10.5 billion PROFIT , thats right I said billion dollars, therefore they can design, redesign or add any model they want.

My mom's sister is all over this (Camry) model once I convinced her to stay away from honda/acura AUTO transmission
02AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvt-i
in the optitron item of the gauge...

besides the option that the camry has it now and the lexus.
doesn't the acura vehicle have them too? i thought the TL or the TSX has them when one opens the door and they light up or something like that?
From the TSX right on up the Acura model lineup, they all have the fancier gauges. Only the RSX has the "old skool" gauges.

What I really wish my car had--instead of this electroluminescent/optimus prime crap--is an oil pressure gauge, a battery gauge, and even a real coolant temp gauge. So many other cars have these gauges. I hate "idiot lights."
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #19
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvt-i
TH23:

you've mentioned that they have a sportshift gate? i realized they have it on the latest solara and so on. but i'm not sure if if they do have it in this camry v6 or whatsoever? i think probably it's the same as the gen 5 camry cause in the interior 3d thing on the toyota official website it shows the shift thing looks the same...

Ah, I see. I was looking at the 360* interior view and I zoomed in on the shifter and saw what I thought was a Sportshift gate but it turns out it's just a detent for "L". I thought it was a manumatic gate because it gets wider at the bottom of the shift gate. Sorry for the confusion

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/camry/int360.html
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #20
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDB
What I really wish my car had--instead of this electroluminescent/optimus prime crap--is an oil pressure gauge, a battery gauge, and even a real coolant temp gauge. So many other cars have these gauges. I hate "idiot lights."
I don't think any Japanese sedan/coupe has those gauges. They only seem to make gauges for the fuel, temp, speedo, and rpm. An oil level gauge would be very helpful .

Old July 10th, 2004, 04:49 AM   #21
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe
I don't think any Japanese sedan/coupe has those gauges. They only seem to make gauges for the fuel, temp, speedo, and rpm. An oil level gauge would be very helpful .
Yea, not many new cars have those gauges anymore. Back in the '80s and '90s they did. I remember most GM cars having a battery gauge, water temp gauge, and an oil pressure gauge.

What our cars (Hondas) need are a tranny temp gauge and a battery gauge, so you know when your transmission and alternator are about to die on you
Old July 10th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #22
Poop.

this pic makes the camry look a heckuva lot like a corolla...compare that to:

asdf916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #23

05 Camry is now on my "cars of interest" list.

I actually like the styling theme on the Corolla S, but on that particular car with still the base 1.8 "1ZZ" engine I think it's just a tad overdone. It looks nicer on the Camry, IMHO.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

Old July 10th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #24

Quote:
05 Camry is now on my "cars of interest" list.

Toyota Power
Old July 10th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf916

you're exactly right.
the funny thing about that well kinda funny but not really. i took my camry to the toyota dealership for some tsb stuff and the service guy at the desk was like... "so what does your corolla need done today sir?" and i was like it's a camry
Old July 10th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #26
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
my sister is gon be jealous when she sees this =P
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #27
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf916

I'm seeing double . The 05 Camry does look much better than the Corrola though.

Old July 10th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDB
You have idiotic American drivers to thank for that. Back when the did actually put those in cars, it resulted in way too many service visits for people thinking there was a problem "cuz dat dare gauge sez so" when it's really normal or nothing. Hence the deletion and replacement with just idiot lights.

Just get an A-pillar 3 gauge pod and some nice autometer gauges. Or if that's too ricey for ya, make a custom gauge setup in the enclosure for the CD bay thingy below the stereo and HVAC controls where the cover will still close down over top.
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #29

Send a message via ICQ to lakersgo
Looks nice. I'd want one
Old August 21st, 2004, 06:00 PM   #30
Hawaiian Island Creations

Saw one yesterday. Looks allot better only I don't like the taillights.
klee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in