When is the IS300 going to be redesigned? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #1

When is the IS300 going to be redesigned?

Are there any spy shots yet?
2spEeDautO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #2

Here ya go!
http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...articleId=3395

It's rumored that it will have AWD, not sure if it is an option to RWD or if it's just AWD. I've heard that it will come with a 240hp V6 engine. But I can't confirm any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. The AWD rumor I believe, the new GS has AWD, so I would imagine that it wouldn't be too dificult to fit the AWD system onto a IS.
eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Jan/Feb '06 ROTM

Send a message via AIM to Dinzdale40
i hope they keep the I6 motor....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Official Slammed Club Member #004 Stage 2
Dinzdale40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 18th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #4
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrash
Eh, the rear reminds me of the new Mazda 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinzdale40
i hope they keep the I6 motor....
I've heard from more than one source that they are switching to a V6 engine.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #5

First off, I wouldn't believe autospies pictures at all. They are typically wrong on most occassions. And if that was even close to being the real pics of the next IS3XX, Car and Driver and other magazines and online sites would have posted the pictures also.

Also, the next IS will be getting V6 engines. Alot of things are unknown as of this point. First is whether or not Lexus will have a cheaper IS with a smaller V6(about 2.5L).
Second, with the GS getting a 3.0L V6 with 245bhp(supposedly), the next Avalon getting a 3.5L V6(270-280bhp) and the current ES having a 3.3L V6(225bhp), it is unknown what engine the IS will get.

Third, it is strongly rumored that their will be a couple of engine variations of the next IS(V6s not V8s).

Fourth, the next IS will probably have a sedan, coupe, and convertible counterparts. And AWD will be optional on some/all engine choices, but you can expect AWD only on sedans.

The new GS comes out in spring '05, the new IS will debut in the fall of '05.
Sammyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #6
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
looks like the maz 3 ..
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:10 PM   #7
I love you Cat...forever

Send a message via AIM to KCMC582
i would think with the G35 pushing towards 300 horse, the IS would try and throw a little more out there than 240. i mean, thats accord v6 territory there. im sure the torque output will be higher, but not to the G35 area. that is one of the things that held me back from the IS, was the dismal 210 or whatever horsepower it made. i know its a small car, but with the G35 in the same pricerange, with tons more power, the choice is almost clear for me.
KCMC582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:29 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
=p
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #9
huh?

no need for speculation, just wait and see.

this has been discussed on the is300 boards for the longest time now and we still have not come to any sort of conclusion.

I6 will NOT be back.
kuuligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 28th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #10
OG from waaay back!

'05 will look the same again this coming year.

P.S. all that spy pic is of the new Toyota Mark X... there is no specalation that it will be renamed to a Lexus... probably not since the Mark has been soley a Japan model for a very long time. But will see in 06-07 if they decide to bring it to our shores finally.

It will be a 6 cyl. - "The engine choices are the new 4GR-FSE 2.5-liter V6 and the 3GR-FSE 3-liter V6"

Last edited by G.J.; November 28th, 2004 at 12:42 AM..
G.J. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:37 PM   #11
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
boooo.

whats wrong with the I6? we all know that it can handle more than the 215hp that it has now. and the 4.3L V8 that has been speculated for the last 3 years (that was accomplished by Rod Millen) made that car a montser. i can't believe this makes me as mad as it does. i dont even like lexus that much!
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:21 PM   #12
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

The problem with the Inline-6 is that they're extremely long, heavy, limited in displacement, and as a result BMW had to pack tons of technology (Valvetronic) into their next-gen Inline-6 still at only 3.0L due to limits of the block and length restrictions all to get just 255hp. Pretty good for a 3.0, but not too hot considering Nissan is cranking out 280-300hp with their 3.5L V6. This is why BMW is considering making a 330Ti (turbo) model to help bridge the gap between the 330i and the M3, and also help it keep up with the competition.

The Inline-6 is an over-hyped, over-glorified engine. There are a lot of drawbacks that nobody ever really talks about. Namely the huge size, heavy weight, and limited displacement, and the limited deployment options. That also means low volumes, and high costs.

I'm glad to see Toyota dumping their I-6. If they switch it to a new GR-series V6 they'll be able to get much more power and displacement vs the I-6, at a lower cost since it's a global V6 platform, and while also taking up less engine bay space. The 3-series and the IS300 were cramped because the engine takes up so much space. A V6 IS3xx will allow more passenger room while not increasing overall dimensions since a V6 engine would take up much less space.

If North America wasn't so horsepower hungry then a mildly tuned up 240hp 3.0L I-6 would probably be just fine, but that isn't the case.

BMW has said that they will NEVER build a V-6 out of pure philosophy. Well, that committment is now hurting them. A $40k E90 330i with 255hp still isn't going to outrun a 280-300hp G35. I guess they'll need their $45-50k 330Ti turbo model to do it, and then save the 400hp V8 M3 at $60k for all the rest. With a nice 60-degree V6, BMW would not be having the difficulties that they are now.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:10 AM   #13
BULLPOO

every watch the Baja racing with the Chevy Trail Blazer that had the 4.2L I6 Steve? that thing kept up, and beat most of the V8s. they aren't that limited.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:48 PM   #14
TURBO 3VZFE comming......

Send a message via AIM to Blackbob Send a message via MSN to Blackbob Send a message via Yahoo to Blackbob
Isn't the new IS comming with a V8 ?

~BB~

91'MR2 V6 swap

SHIFT_ideas
Blackbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder
every watch the Baja racing with the Chevy Trail Blazer that had the 4.2L I6 Steve? that thing kept up, and beat most of the V8s. they aren't that limited.
racing applications are not the same thing as street applications. and the e-friggin-normous Chevy 4.2L I-6 isn't gonna fit under the hood of a tiny little 3-series sized-car. I-6 engines are plenty limited when it comes to practicality and flexibility in mass-produced cars, which is why almost no one builds them.

Of course, nobody says that though because they're too busy worshipping them for their smoothness, which they are. No first or second order vibrations to worry about. But that's the price you pay. Smoothness (low NVH) and refinement at the expense of practicality and severe packaging issues which ultimately limit displacement and power.
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #16
BULLPOO

all i can say, my first car was a 1966 dodge dart with a slant 6. best pile of crap i've ever owned.
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #17

well, the IS 430 looks promising, although it is just the V8 from the former Gs430.
Epyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 14th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #18
OG from waaay back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbob
Isn't the new IS comming with a V8 ?

~BB~
Everything I have read and heard says no. There was a couple concept IS's done by aftermarket companies. One was a 400 and the other a 430, but nothing made by Toyota.
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:40 PM   #19
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.
Everything I have read and heard says no. There was a couple concept IS's done by aftermarket companies. One was a 400 and the other a 430, but nothing made by Toyota.
That might be a sign that Toyota/Lexus might cancel the IS300 after it's 2005-2006 MY. The next gen 6 cylinder GS is said to use a V6 instead of an inline 6.

Not trying to scare or upset anyone, just thinking of some possibilities.

Old December 15th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #20
OG from waaay back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe
That might be a sign that Toyota/Lexus might cancel the IS300 after it's 2005-2006 MY. The next gen 6 cylinder GS is said to use a V6 instead of an inline 6.

Not trying to scare or upset anyone, just thinking of some possibilities.
Nah I doubt that, the IS has a huge following as well as a huge place in drifting and racing for Toyota. Videos, games, magazines all have the IS as the only Toyota to have a true presense and appearances besides the Supra. They will keep the compact luxary car atleast if they are smart - which Toyota seems to always have been. I seriously doubt Toyota will fall back on the Corolla XRS or the Camry/Solara as their sports car of choice unless they change the Solara to a RWD.
Old December 15th, 2004, 12:15 AM   #21
OG from waaay back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe
The next gen 6 cylinder GS is said to use a V6 instead of an inline 6.
And like I stated earlier - they will be using that V6 in the IS also.
Quote:
It will be a 6 cyl. - "The engine choices are the new 4GR-FSE 2.5-liter V6 and the 3GR-FSE 3-liter V6"
Old December 15th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #22
V6P OG

Send a message via AIM to LaoStradamus
it looks good.
LaoStradamus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 15th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #23

Quote:
And like I stated earlier - they will be using that V6 in the IS also.
So is that confirmed (both of them?) or just rumor/speculation?
Old December 15th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #24
OG from waaay back!

That was what was said by a Toyota rep. The V6 3.0 will be the US based engine - 2.5 everywhere else. He wasnt even sure when it would change over even at that. But I guess I would say spec since it hasn't gone through yet, it was just from a higher source than me
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #25
OG from waaay back!

I checked on the stats for the new IS since that info I was given was a bit earlier in the year. Here is the 100% as shown on IS300.net

"But we were given some preliminary specs of the new IS250/350. IS250 slated for approx 220hp, RWD or AWD, sedan, hardtop convertitble and wagon bodystyles. IS350 slated for 300hp, RWD, possible 6-spd MT option, dual exhaust, sedan, hardtop convertible and wagon bodystyles as well. Both models will house V6 engines. The exterior will be similar to the lines and style of new GS"

So they did change it from the 3.0 to a 3.5 unlike stated earlier to me, but will house the V6.
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #26

key word: "preliminary"

If there will be an IS350 that'll be sweet. Something to compete with the Infiniti G35 finally.
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #27
BULLPOO

steve, i meant to ask you, G35c built on the same FM platform a the Z, same problems?
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #28

Autoweek confirms

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101408

Their comment about patent office filings means Toyota has trademarked "IS250" and "IS350". Auto journalists monitor that to get the new names of future vehicles.
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder
steve, i meant to ask you, G35c built on the same FM platform a the Z, same problems?
same platform yes, but not the same issues. I'm pretty sure the coupe still uses different sized front and rear tires (double check that) so no tire rotations, but no tire feathering/suspension issues either. I believe that's an issue unique to the Z. The biggest issue on G35's appears to be some sort of brake issue. Thought I read something about them wearing out really quick or something, otherwise they're pretty darn reliable cars, at least so far.
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #30
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Autoweek confirms

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101408

Their comment about patent office filings means Toyota has trademarked "IS250" and "IS350". Auto journalists monitor that to get the new names of future vehicles.

I thought Lexus was going to remove there only sports car. Hmm, IS350

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in