Toyota Stages World Premiere of All-New Avalon Flagship Sedan at 2005 NAIAS - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #1
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Toyota Stages World Premiere of All-New Avalon Flagship Sedan at 2005 NAIAS

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...=2005avalon_r2

I just found my next car.

3.5L V6, 280hp/260tq, 0-60 in 6.6s, 22/31 mpg ratings, plenty of room, seat memory for the wife and I (6'3" vs 5'2", lol). oh yes... It's just like the Maxima, only, it's a Toyota and not a Nissan. And I like Toyotas better.

This will complement our 2002 Highlander AWD Limited very nicely. The HL for rough weather and hauling junk around, and the Avalon for long trips with its much better fuel mileage, or if you need to get someplace fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #2

Old January 12th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #3

Definitely not the sexiest looking car in its class, but that's sort of an afterthought. It's on the inside and what's under the hood that counts for me. Look at the interior. Gorgeous! And at 31 mpg this Toyota 3.5L V6 is getting 3 mpg better on the highway than the Maxima VQ35DE is, and even beats the J30A4 Accords at 30 mpg.

Old January 12th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Viper Send a message via Yahoo to Viper
the ride in that car is so smooth itll feel like ur getting 50mpg
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #5
OG from waaay back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Definitely not the sexiest looking car in its class, but that's sort of an afterthought.
I dunno, it has that Caddy with a flair of G35 sedan and defined lines like the 300 - look to it. I really like this approach Toyota took!
G.J. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:44 AM   #6
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
In a nutshell, The Maxima is about to get .

The exterior is classier than the last gen Avalon and unlike the new Maxima, it isn't freaky looking either (opinion). The interior comes loaded with all sorts of goodies and has a very Solara look to it. And I still can't believe they put such a powerful engine in this car, especially considering the market this car is aimed at. I wouldn't be surprised if that engine ended up in the Lexus ES for it's 2006 MY. Toyota did a great job redesigning the Avalon for its 3rd generation .

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
thats a very nice car asthetically beautiful on the inside and it doesnt look half bad on the outside...personally i think it looks better then the new gen maximas
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #8

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...?id=sp20050110

Quote:
When it hits showrooms in February it will carry a base price of $26,350, a mere $205 higher than the MSRP on the vehicle it replaces. Like never before, the 2005 Avalon is smart money spent wisely.
For comparison, a 2005 Maxima 3.5SE A/T starts at $27,350, so this is already undercutting Nissan by a grand, and it will likely be a vehicle with significantly higher overall quality with similar performance. Once the Avalon comes out, Nissan is going to have to start rolling in more incentives to keep Maximas selling I bet.

A fully loaded Limited model will most definitely top $30k though. That gets it up into TL territory, but I'd take the better torque and superior automatics of Toyota vs H/A pos trannys any day. Of course, no 6spd manual on the Avalon though, but my next car won't be an automatic.

It would be really cool if Honda would bring the "fixed up Accord" Inspire here with the standard V6, SportShift, and other goodies. Toyota has finally realized that there's a market for people that want high end cars with luxury features but without the luxury nameplate. That's me. That's what the Maxima is, and that's what the Avalon is now. So there's definitely room for the Inspire on the playing field.
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #9
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
wow.. love the interior dash..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #10

I love the Toyotas, but I would be surprised if it kept up with the current Maximas. Alot of power with alot of weight!!! I was told a fully loaded limited will be in the high 30ks.
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #11

It has more "advertised" power than the current Maxima and no additional weight. So assuming it can hookup on launch reasonably well, it shouldn't have any problems running solid mid-14's like the Maxima does. The only problem might be VSC/TRAC equipped models, which isn't always defeatable. Nothing a fuse pulling wouldn't fix though. It should also be able to beat the TL auto as well. Same weight, more torque, more horsepower, more aggressive gearing.

A current top line Avalon XLS tops out at $33k MSRP or $35k with Navigation. The new Avalon is only $200 more than the outgoing one, and eventually they'll be selling not much above invoice.
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #12

The limited model is suppose to be more then the XLS. I would expect to see a adjusted market value sticker for a few thousand over MSRP for the 1st 6 months and then maybe a thousand for the next 6 months after that.
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #13
OHV
GM Junkie

only $205 over eh? haha Toyota just keeps hurtin their profits every year to become number one.

Its ok, Its bland, its a Toyota. whats new.

interior looks a hell of a lot better than the current Avalons. Exterior looks like a Nissan crashed into a Mercedes and Infiniti hit the rear end. Engines good. Fuel economy is excellent. I bet itll drive like a boat like the current avalon, beware steVTEC... i dont know if youve driven the current avalon but its like ultra detached from the road... hopefully this new one has more road feel... but then again no car in this category would sacrifice luxury for sport.

whats up with the shifter?? and why did they make it a push-start car??!
OHV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #14
TQ challenged

Hot rod Toyota, wow 280hp and a almost equal amt of tq !
To me the Avalon has the same 3/4 profile as it's bigger brother the new GS430/300.
ironmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #15
LiL D33z33

Quote:

r those production pics?
or concept.
if its concept it will look nothing like that.
DeezV604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #16

OHV - push button start is only on the Limited models. Also, yeah the current Avy is boaty but the Touring trim of the new one should be fairly decent. I wouldn't expect it to handle like a TL or Maxima but it should be okay.

And yes, those are production pictures straight off of Toyota's web page.
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #17
LiL D33z33

Quote:
OHV - push button start is only on the Limited models. Also, yeah the current Avy is boaty but the Touring trim of the new one should be fairly decent. I wouldn't expect it to handle like a TL or Maxima but it should be okay.

And yes, those are production pictures straight off of Toyota's web page.
well that interior is sexy as hell
DeezV604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #18
OHV
GM Junkie

1 question, whats the point of buying a low end Lexus if you can get this for cheaper??
OHV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #19

good question
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #20
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV
1 question, whats the point of buying a low end Lexus if you can get this for cheaper??
Yeah, that is a good question. Hopefully Toyota and Lexus know the answer.

Old January 15th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #21

Upgrade the LS model!!!
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #22
President & GC of V6P.Net

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Many people buy for the nameplate. nuff said.

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #23
President & GC of V6P.Net

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
If we were to start a New Avalon forum and web address pointing to this forum....Steve, would you like to populate the forum w/ nice juicy info?

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #24

^ you got PM
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #25

i can see a bit of altima in the front styling and the rear is quite solaraish. but its nice for its class.
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #26
Old Member

Send a message via AIM to Du3ce
i dont know it looks kinda weird
Du3ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #27
cunning linguist

Definately a nice car.

As to the tranny problems with Honda...I have read no less than three articles about the Auto Trans issues Lexus/Toyota is having with their Highlander and ES series ( I am only sure about those as those were models I was looking into, possibly affects others?) Hopefully they have addressed that with this model.

As to Toyota loosing money to be number 1...Unlikely. In a Supply Chain class I had taken it said that Honda was able to cut the production cost of a 7th gen Accord over $5000 from that of a 6th gen Accord! While it makes me better understand my rattles situation, it also hints that Toyota isn't taking a hit on this one either...
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #28
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me
As to Toyota loosing money to be number 1...Unlikely. In a Supply Chain class I had taken it said that Honda was able to cut the production cost of a 7th gen Accord over $5000 from that of a 6th gen Accord! While it makes me better understand my rattles situation, it also hints that Toyota isn't taking a hit on this one either...
I know they cut some small things but what did they cut to reduce it by five grand?

Old January 27th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #29
Illusion-Lighting

that interior looks like a cross between the current camry and the acura rl
Illusion-Lighting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:24 PM   #30

Drove it today, along with the Max. No contest. The Avalon is SOOOO much nicer!!! The max is fast, but you get alot more engine and road noise. The Avalon is fast and has very little noise of any kind in the cabin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in