Lexus Introduces Next Generation IS Luxury Sport Sedan With Two New Engines and AWD - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:56 PM   #1
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Lexus Introduces Next Generation IS Luxury Sport Sedan With Two New Engines and AWD

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...l?id=20050323c

03/23/2005 New York

Lexus unveiled the all-new 2006 IS 350 luxury sport sedan today at a press conference at the New York Auto Show.

"We're taking dead aim at the top of the class with the new IS," said Lexus Marketing Vice President Mark Templin. "We plan to offer a compelling range of models and options with class-leading perfo rmance and luxury."

Four separate models will form the basis of the new IS family in the US market, featuring two completely new V6 engines and both rear and all-wheel drive. The new IS 250 and IS 250 AWD will feature a 2.5-liter engine rated at more than 200 horsepower. The top-line IS 350 will be powered by a potent 3.5-liter V6 engine which will develop more than 300 horsepower.

Two new transmissions will facilitate power delivery to the wheels. Standard in the IS 250, a new 6-speed sequential manual transmission is designed to take full advantage of its free-revving V6 engine. A new sequential-shift 6-speed automatic will also be offered in the IS 250 and will be standard in the IS 350 and IS 250 AWD. Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters for the automatic are designed to provide maximum involvement and control for driving enthusiasts.

All new front and rear suspension, steering and brake systems will unite with standard Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) in the IS 250 while the IS 350 receives Lexus' new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system to provide superior dynamics and control, while continuing the IS legacy of driving fun. The new suspension design optimizes dynamic wheel alignment to help provide precise, confident handling and maximum tire grip.

With its styling clearly influenced by Lexus recent LF-series of concept cars, the new IS shows a strong family resemblance with its stable mate, the 2006 GS, while capturing its own distinctively sporty, yet upscale essence. A notably wide stance and long wheelbase coupled with tightly-drawn bodywork lends a muscular and sophisticated style.

The new look continues inside, where a roomy, luxurious yet sporty cabin is complemented by intelligently designed displays and controls designed to make driving both simple and pleasurable. Bright, clear Optitron gauges and smartly integrated metallic and available maple trim help create a luxurious, yet no-nonsense ambience.

A comprehensive list of safety, comfort and luxury features seldom found in its class will be offered in the newest IS family. For example, Smart Access keyless entry with push-button start will be standard, and features such as a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel and navigation system with back-up camera will be available.

These and other features available on the new IS, such as the Adaptive Front headlamp System (AFS), Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and ventilated front seats are normally found only in more expensive luxury cars.

New V6 Engines - Powerful and Socially Responsible
A newly-designed fuel injection system and dual VVT-i will help the new 3.5-liter V6 engine achieve more than 300 horsepower, resulting in zero-to-60 mph acceleration in less than six seconds. With an estimated combined city/highway fuel economy in the high twenties, the IS 350's fuel efficiency is similar to the EPA average for compact cars with 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines.

The IS 250 will carry a 2.5-liter version of the same advanced V6 engine with over 200 hp and more than 180 lb.-ft. of torque. Coupled with a standard 6-speed sequential manual transmission, acceleration from 0-60 miles per hour will be in the high 7-second range. Estimated combined fuel economy ratings are also expected to be in the high-twenties.

With all the new IS models, low-friction engine design and carefully matched drivetrains also make significant contributions to fuel efficiency. And all of the new IS models are expected to carry the ULEV-II emissions rating.

Power + Control = Driving Pleasure
Recently introduced on the new GS 430 (and the soon-to-be-released RX 400h), Lexus' Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management system will also augment the inherently excellent dynamics of the new IS 350. In this iteration, VDIM will be programmed to allow drivers to probe deeper into the limits of handling before discreetly, but effectively applying braking, throttle and steering control. This approach is designed to maximize driving fun without giving away control to the elements.

An important contributor to performance, fuel economy and stability lies in the new IS' aerodynamic package. Low exterior drag is enhanced with careful attention to underbody airflow management designed to minimize and balance front/rear lift. The low drag body makes best use of engine power and the low lift enhances high-speed stability and handling balance.
The new Lexus IS luxury sport sedans will go on sale in North America this fall. Prices will be announced near the on-sale date.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM   #2

The Good: >300hp, >275tq, >30 mpg hwy, 6AT all around, the G35 now has serious competition
The Bad: no MT available on the IS350

As soon as they release full specs I'll run some numbers, but it looks like this thing will be as quick as a G35 6M despite having an auto, and outrun the G35 5A. But if you want hardcore modding and the manual tranny that goes with it, you'd best get an IS300 with the 5M tranny now before they're all sold out. And you'll have one of the last 2JZ-GE engines sold in the US also
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:05 PM   #3
THLA 2009 Bombsquad

Send a message via AIM to Dtownz Thrillah
i swear I have seen this posted on v6p before =P ...

yep .. it looks like a beefed up Scion ..
Dtownz Thrillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:28 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
reallly nice
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:36 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Waterp7
ah man...its getting even more tempting to wait... and I really wanna get a G35c 6MT soon... what should i do?
Waterp7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:31 PM   #6

well if you want a 6M tranny, your only choice is the G. But from the looks of things it won't be any quicker than the auto IS350.
Old March 24th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #7

how much do you think the IS250 and IS350 will be?
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #8
President & GC of V6P.Net

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
My completely uneducated guess is that it will start around $33k and up.

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #9
OG from waaay back!

G.J. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #10
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe

But I'm lost on the marketing stratagy here. With 300HP+ on the IS 350, it has as much/more HP than the new GS 430, a car that costs around $15,000 more. Anyways, the TSX is in trouble .

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to gabedabomb
Why the F will they not offer a manual on the higher model??? Man I'm mad.
gabedabomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #12
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedabomb
Why the F will they not offer a manual on the higher model??? Man I'm mad.
Because Toyota/Lexus doesn't have a M/T for this engine yet. But just like the last IS, they might bring out an IS 350 with a M/T within it's next year model.

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to peshford55
hmmm....does anyone hear graduation present?!?!?!
peshford55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #14
AV6.com Veteran

i think ive found my next car.. 4dr that can spank a G35C 6MT with an AUTO??

Yes, PleasE!
kayotik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #15
OG from waaay back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe

But I'm lost on the marketing stratagy here. With 300HP+ on the IS 350, it has as much/more HP than the new GS 430, a car that costs around $15,000 more. Anyways, the TSX is in trouble .
Well think of it this way. Not everyone looks to power numbers. The GS is an overall bigger car. It has more room and a different look whereas the IS is more sporty/performanced based. They are basing it on not the power each produce, but instead what you are looking for. More luxary or more performance. I like this approach so it allows you to choose what car you want not basing it on which car has more hp or more tq. Now its I like the looks of this one... I like the style of this one... this size suits me more, etc.
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #16
OG from waaay back!

Oh and sometimes people who are supposed to know what they are saying in interviews... dont always say what they mean. Even on a Toyota site....

Quote:
From My.IS

It's interesting how different perspective can be sitting in front of a computer screen peacefully reading news releases and posts versus being live in the middle of the bustle and action at New York's Javits Center for the debut of the new Lexus IS350. A number of you have been discussing this passage of the official Press Release: "Standard in the IS 250, a new 6-speed sequential manual transmission is designed to take full advantage of its free-revving V6 engine."
Frankly, we didn't recall hearing that during Mark Templin's presentation, and we also missed it while posting the Press Release for our Front/Home Page. However, it was brought to our attention by WebguyIS in a comment responding to that thread.

Knowing how many manual-transmission diehards there are in our community, alarm bells naturally started going off. Fortunately, Brad Nelson of Lexus Public Relations has sent us this clarification:

"I'm afraid that in the process of editing our press release, somehow the word "sequential" was incorrectly placed in front of "manual transmission." You can be sure that it is a conventional h-pattern manual transmission with a foot-operated clutch. Thanks for pointing this out."
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayotik
i think ive found my next car.. 4dr that can spank a G35C 6MT with an AUTO??

Yes, PleasE!
well it's not going to "spank" one. It'll run even with one though. I'll be interested to see what tricks Nissan pulls out of its hat for 2006 to at least match or maybe one-up the Lexus. There are "VQ35DD" (direct injected) engines in Japan so it's only a matter of time until Nissan starts bringing them here. Nissan is basing their comeback in the US on horsepower marketing, so they'll never want to get one-upped by a competitor.
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe

The GS is a full-sized car. It's like 5-series vs 3-series. And the GS430 still has way more torque. Anyways, it'll be a moot point with all of the other GS's coming out. There's a hybrid GS450h (3.5L + hybrid) and a GS460 with a 4.6L V8. They're also doing a GS350 in another 1-2 years as well. Toyota commonly varies powertrain configurations mid lifecycle.
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #19

but i have to ask Steve, realisticly do you think that the IS350, the new one, will come with a manual?

and how much, did could be my next car.
Epyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #20
Banned

will lexus produce a coupe version of the IS model ??
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #21
Big Red Hexagon

I asked the lexus representative at the NY auto show about the manual in the new IS. She told me that the IS250 will have an optional 6 speed manual next year, and the IS350 will not come in manual. Looks like the 250 gets both the awd and manual options. Hopefully this is subject to change.
stopsign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #22
OG from waaay back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopsign
I asked the lexus representative at the NY auto show about the manual in the new IS. She told me that the IS250 will have an optional 6 speed manual next year, and the IS350 will not come in manual. Looks like the 250 gets both the awd and manual options. Hopefully this is subject to change.
I would say give it a couple years like the first gen. They will probably end up with one - but marketing wise.. would you tell someone that in a couple years the manual will come out? Everyone that wants the car but wants a manual would just wait the couple years and decline the sales of the car in the first initial years.
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #23
OG from waaay back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxcord
will lexus produce a coupe version of the IS model ??
That's what the SC430 is for.
Old March 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #24
Banned

ummm no,

lexus does not have a 6cylinder coupe, the SC430 is obviously a V8. Lexus stated that it was targeting the BMW 3 series. And in doing so they need to develop a 2 door version to compete with the upcoming 3 series coupe.
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to Mitsume Send a message via MSN to Mitsume
a little off topic.. i like the old gauge design over the new one above...
Mitsume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #26
Your V12, My V-twin.

Send a message via AIM to JonHsiung
It's nice. But I wouldn't buy it. Something about its front end doesn't scream out luxury enough. The back and interior are nice. I hope they will have more backseat room in this generation. The last one was terrible.

JonHsiung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #27
OG from waaay back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxcord
ummm no,

lexus does not have a 6cylinder coupe, the SC430 is obviously a V8. Lexus stated that it was targeting the BMW 3 series. And in doing so they need to develop a 2 door version to compete with the upcoming 3 series coupe.
So the only way in your eyes to compete with a 3 series is to have 2 doors? So any factors like HP, TQ, handling, price, etc... dont count unless it shares the 2 door platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHsiung
I hope they will have more backseat room in this generation. The last one was terrible.
I dunno... I have more backseat room in my 1st gen IS than in my old 6th gen Accord coupe. But then again... not by a whole lot.

Last edited by G.J.; March 27th, 2005 at 09:25 PM..
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #28

man...that is my future car...im gonna have to see about gettin it used a few years down the road...

I Heart Lexus...been in love w/ Lexuses ever since my first car (ES300)...
pjk208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.
I dunno... I have more backseat room in my 1st gen IS than in my old 6th gen Accord coupe. But then again... not by a whole lot.

You're comparing a Coupe to a Sedan. Sedans should normally have more rear seat legroom and hip room than that. I think this new one should have a bit more space back there for possibly 5 passengers instead of 4.
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #30
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Send a message via AIM to HwaNi.J30A-C
Wow. 300hp in IS350. Dream came true.
Even after reading steve's post, honestly im still not convienced that this will kill "some" GS sales.
Even though they are different and all..
Those people who were going to shell out slightly more cash to get the GS for the performance will just settle with IS. I can picture myself doing that also.

but whatever. Im sure toyota marketing guys are ahead of what we think.

and yes, G35 definitely met some SERIOUS competition. Once SSM comes out for the IS350..... oh man. Nissan better step up more.
and teh........ tee..sX.... bye bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.
So the only way in your eyes to compete with a 3 series is to have 2 doors? So any factors like HP, TQ, handling, price, etc... dont count unless it shares the 2 door platform?
I think you are completely NOT understanding the conecpt here.

He is referring to Coupe buyers' market.
Sporty IS350 2dr coupe sounds better to me than sporty 4dr sedan.
thats for me though. And Im sure this applies to ALOT of people.

Even in my area, and people i know, so many got something else instead of current is300 because of extra 2doors.
Some people just prefer 2dr. Some prefer 4dr.

Factors you've listed is different question.
All those factors will be accounted for when they compete.
HwaNi.J30A-C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in