The myth of the 2007 Toyota Supra… - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #1
On the Battle Field

Send a message via AIM to FOX_MagiCDragoN
Post The myth of the 2007 Toyota Supra…(UPDATED!!!)

The myth of the 2007 Toyota Supra…

Spirit of the Supra

This is a bit of a repeat from a previous post but I just want to lay out all the information that I’ve compiled. I might have found something that was over looked.

I’m a bit of a fan of the Toyota Supra and always have been. My dream car is a Imported ,1999, Manual, Black/White or Candy Apple Red, Twin Turbo Supra, with Targa Top, Invader Style Front – Rear and Side, Techno R 3000GT Style Hood, V-Man Spoiler and a redone interior with custom gauges. Well, actually my dream car is a Ferrari Enzo but that’s not even a possibility in my life time. Just a 93-97 Supra itself is a future plan that I want to become my project car.

I’ve been watching Supra’s sell online for the past year now as I’ve been wanting to get an idea for what they go for. Aside from the scams, I’ve noticed that the Supra is generally over priced and it’s hard to find a Non-Modified, Low-Mileage, Manual Supra. But the plan remains to one day live my dream. Well, that was until about 1A.M. this morning when I ran across some hype about a 2007 Supra.

So the quest for the Holy 2007 Supra began…
Ford GT90 as a Supra
ADDED
Rumors of a Toyota Supra Concept being developed first appeared at popularmechanics.com about a year ago. The article came with spy photos of a Volta and it was speculated that the Volta would be the Supra replacement.
Volta Spy Photo
Multiple articles denouced the new Volta as the Supra replacement. If a Supra would be designed it was said to not look anything like the Volta.
END OF EDIT

I’ve been aware of the rumors that Toyota might bring back the Supra but I’ve always regarded them as false rumors. Then I came across some pictures of a possible Supra Concept.
Spy Photos taken in Gemany of an Unknown Vehicle

At first I was all excited. The article talked about a possible 500-horsepower v10 engine or a high-performance hybrid power train which made my brain twitch. They marked it down as the 2007 Toyota Supra. Although it was all only speculation, just the thought of a new Supra just about gave me an orgasm.

I then ran into some articles on Autoblog and Autospies about the possible new Supra both revealing this photo…
Scanned Photo of a new Toyota Supra in a Chinesse Magazine Article
For the most part, I loved the design. I think the front needed a little work, although I thought the headlights looked at least a little inventive. I really liked the side and rear view of that photo. I knew that if the Supra actually had plans for prototypes that it would probably not look anything like that picture but it was fun just to think that it was.

Then I came to an article on this very forum talking about how the Spy pictures of the car at the test track in Germany was actually the Lexus LF-A…
Photo of the New Lexus LF-A
All possibilities of the new Supra just vanished. I honestly felt pretty disappointed. I thought it was a terrible thing for the Supra to be pulled from the U.S. market and I would have loved to see it come back and win public appeal.

But, for one reason or another I went back and read some previous articles off of Edmunds and Suprastore.com and a spark of hope crossed my mind. The articles talked about a Toyota Supra to be released at the end of 2006 and start of 2007. They also mentioned the Supra successor or Project 395 will come in a Compact Coupe and Hatchback.

Project 395 is supposed to borrow some styling from the 1967 2000 GT which you can spot in the James Bond film, You Only Live Twice. Project 395 will come in two distinct versions for production. One having a 3.5-liter v6 that was introduced in the 2006 Lexus GS 300 making 300 horsepower. The second, being a 4.3-liter v8 tweaked to give about 350hp. Styling is also to include a long front deck and short rear. Speculation is on the conventional folding soft top and the pricing which is to run close to $30,000 for the v6 to compete with the 350Z and the low $40,000 for the v8.

However, there is one sentence that grabbed my attention above all else. And I quote, “Toyota's luxury subsidiary will instead build its own super car based on the LF-A concept shown at this year's Detroit auto show.” Mention of the 2007 Toyota Supra is said to debut at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show.
2007 Toyota Supra MTV
Does this still mean that there is hope for a Concept Supra? Will the Supra Spirit Rise Again?

I can answer both those questions… There is always hope and the spirit of the Supra will rise again.

NEWLY ADDED
Although the information is not 100% authenticated, as of March 28th, 2005, it has been confirmed from a personal email to me by a Toyota Employee that the Toyota Supra release date is listed for 2007-2008.

Only an official article released by Toyota can give this information a stamp of approval, but it looks like the Supra Myth is for real and the information I have listed about the Supra is correct.
The Supra Spirit Lives!
END OF EDIT

Last edited by FOX_MagiCDragoN; March 29th, 2005 at 04:29 PM..
FOX_MagiCDragoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #2
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Hmm, maybe

Toyota needs to bring back the Supra IMO. With the death of the Celica and MR-2, the Toyota division is left with nothing that is considered a sports car. The closest thing they have is the sporty Solara and Camry SE V6's. Nissan and Mazda dropped their sports cars a few years ago but brought both of them back (350Z and RX-8). I can't see why Toyota has left everyone without a new Supra for so long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #3
On the Battle Field

That's right on. Toyota has yet to challange Nissan and Mazda when they could bring back the Supra using the same tactics that Nissan and Mazda did with the 350Z and RX-8. A $80,000 Lexus LF-A just does not cut it. I believe that there would be a greater demand for such a car. I mean sure the 300Z had it's modification tweaks and the RX-7 although a car prone to go to the shop every other day was a great car as well. The Supra is just an amazing machine and although it did not sell well toward the end of production, it offered a new sporty look and I believe they should do the same this time around.

Old March 26th, 2005, 06:03 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
it would be tight if it came back even just in the form of a cool concept
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
i like that last rendering, its a beauty!

the first is a lame photoshop of a Ford GT90
the spy shots looks like the LF-A
the mag pic looks pretty good too but the front needs work.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #6
On the Battle Field

Here is another rendering I found on Automotive Forums.

However, I feel that the look from this rendering looks to... 90s...

Last edited by FOX_MagiCDragoN; March 26th, 2005 at 01:16 PM..
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #7
On the Battle Field

I found this picture on popularmechanics.com

I would imagine that it was this spy report that started all the rumors in the first place. When I originally heard about the rumors. It was of a Volta concept car replaceing the Supra. I would like to mention that from multiple newer sources that this report has be dubbed false and the Volta will not be the new Supra.
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #8
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
ive seen the glacius supra before. he's a member on photoshopchop.com and digimods.co.uk

he along with about 5 others are the best photoshopers i've ever seen. these guys are soooo good that they create cars without even having a car to start with.

the best photoshopers that i've seen are Glacius, ZVT, RickySals, Iacoski, UberSoldat, BOCH, and Ruig. i hang out and post my chops on photoshopchop.com and everytime i see these guys post something, it's an immediate hit because they all have awesome style.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #9
On the Battle Field

If they do end up actually coming out with the 2007 Supra, anyone actually willing to save up their pennies like myself?
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #10
Banned

I was told that toyota had no plans to make the supra, atleast that what everybody who posted in my thread said....

Lexus has admitted that they are making their own supercar, but i am not going to get excited for toyota. If they don't make the supra, well that's fine by me, there goes their market share

BTW here's my thread on this topic click here
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #11
On the Battle Field

I guess all we can do is wait and see. I already read your trend before I posted mine. A lot of people are saying it's all false, but I feel that's just because the concept car ended up being the Lexus LF-A. The whole Supra rumor started about a year ago on popularmechanics.com. Their sources said the Volta was going to be the replacement Supra. That has been regarded as false information as well. But there are multiple articles out there saying that Toyota plans to bring back the Supra and base it off the LF-A and some styling from the 1967 2000 GT.

In any case, I think it would be a very bad decission if they did not bring back the Supra or at least some sports care that can compete with the 350Z and RX-8. However, I think it's a great decision for the company to bring it back in 2007 instead of right now. The 350Z and Rx-8 won't be new and the Supra will be, it will be the car to get so to speak.
Old March 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #12
On the Battle Field

I made a couple edits to the main article. I added the information about the Volta being mistaken as the Supra replacement. Although already listed in a reply to this trend, I know how people don't read everythign discussed so I made it easier for anyone who wants to read about the information gathered about the Supra. I also added a little header to each photo explaining what they represent.

If any more information is discovered about the Supra myth then I'll edit the post accordingly. Everyone's opinion, thoughts, and discoverys are of course encouraged so post away .
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to driven
Ill wait and see what toyota has in store for us.. these renderings seem far from truth
driven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #14
On the Battle Field

I start to lose respect for the company when I visit Toyota's website. It's not very informative... I seem to learn more about the company from other sources.

Last edited by FOX_MagiCDragoN; March 27th, 2005 at 10:30 PM..
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #15
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I love the Supra! One of the great model names in automotive history as far as I'm concerned! I hope Toyota does bring the car back but the company is doing so well selling cars that management may not feel the need to resurrect an awesome name for cost and profitability reasons. How many cars will they sell since many buyers are now going for SUVs and Crossovers? Maybe with the gas prices being so insane we may see the shift back to sedans and coupes? Who knows. But if they do bring it back, I hope that it kicks azz because I may have a "new car" urge in a couple of years!
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 27th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #16
On the Battle Field

I also doubt any of the renderings are are offical and I'm pretty sure the public does not know what the New Supra is going to look like if itis going to be made at all. If any of the renderings are remotely close, it will probably be the 2007 Toyota Supra MTV as that came with the articles that were able to describe the styling of the new supra and was probably and I thought I knew what company actually created the picture. But I can't seem to remember or find any clues to how I knew that... *raises eyebrow*

Anyway, I found some stuff about Supra rumors. Amoung the articles I found a email sent by Toyota in reply to a person asking if they had any plans to reintroduce the Toyota Supra. The article is dated: 07-29-2003. The email is as quoted:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate your interest in the Supra.

We apologize; we do not currently have any announced plans to reintroduce the Supra. We are, however, aware of consumer interest in this type of vehicle and have documented your comments at our National Headquarters under file #200307250780.

We thank you for your enthusiasm about our products and hope that you will continue to consider Toyota for your driving needs.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Response by JasonK
The Email address was: [email protected]

Pretty dated but if emailing them will help contribute to the Supra's Resurection then why not?

Last edited by FOX_MagiCDragoN; March 27th, 2005 at 10:13 PM..
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #17
On the Battle Field

Although the information is not 100% authenticated, from a personal email it has been confirmed by a Toyota Employee that the Toyota Supra release date is listed for 2007-2008.

Only a news release by Toyota itself can give such information a stamp of approval but it looks like the Supra Myth is for real and the information I have listed on the original post is correct as the Supra will be built on two platforms, one being a v6 the other a v8.

This is great news for all the Toyota Supra lovers that have read this post. The information has been added to the main article. I personally can’t wait to see what the car is going to look like. I thank everyone for their support and the information they have provided.
The Supra Spirit Lives!
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #18
Banned

props to you for your diligence and your patience, i seem to lack those traits when it comes to waiting for cars. Lol...

Anyway what you think the price will be ?? ( i can't afford more than $35K...)
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #19
On the Battle Field

Well the v6 is estimated to be under the 350Z in the 30k somewhere while the v8 is in the low 40s. But that is just all speculation.
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #20
-^*^-

Like the black Supra pics on the Japanese magz. That's really cool !!
snowquest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #21

Great thread.
The new Supra will use the new 3.5 liter V-6 in the IS 350. The IS 350 already will have over 300hp. I have heard 330hp for the new Supra. The car will either be a specific platform or a shortened GS platform. The car is in testing currently and engineers are not 100% satisfied with weight and handling.
Clearly Toyota will try their best to ensure it surpasses the 350Z in performance.
Finally, there are only rumors of an optional V-8 in the Supra
1SICKLEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #22
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great thread.
The new Supra will use the new 3.5 liter V-6 in the IS 350. The IS 350 already will have over 300hp. I have heard 330hp for the new Supra. The car will either be a specific platform or a shortened GS platform. The car is in testing currently and engineers are not 100% satisfied with weight and handling.
Clearly Toyota will try their best to ensure it surpasses the 350Z in performance.
Any links to this info?

Old April 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #23

^^ Inside info and from European Car Mags like EVO/CAR.
1SICKLEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to SlvrBulletV6
In regards to the pix on the first post of the car in black tarp.

I believe that I saw something VERY similar on the 405S between South Bay and before the Seal Beach area. It was 2 cars tarp in black just like in those pix, and I distinctly saw those kind of taillights. Couldn't get a picture of it because I was the sole driver on my way to school, but I was wondering to myself what car it could be, and then bam, read this post, and I am wondering to myself could it possibly be?
- Also just fyi, the Toyota HQ and Honda HQ are in the south bay area. So who knows????
SlvrBulletV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #25
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^ Inside info and from European Car Mags like EVO/CAR.
No internet links? Without being able to read this info for ourselves, it's hard to tell if it's real, speculation, or fake.

Old April 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM   #26
Lexus ***ociate Discount!

Send a message via AIM to xravexboix
most likely fake. toyota is putting a sports car out soon but it will not be labeled 'supra'
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM   #27
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xravexboix
most likely fake. toyota is putting a sports car out soon but it will not be labeled 'supra'
It should be called the Supra. Honda brought back the S series with the S2000, Nissan brought back the Z with the 350Z, and Mazda brought back the RX with the RX-8. It would only be appropriate for Toyota to do the same.

Old May 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #28
Destroyer of Tires

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #29
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X
Nothing new their except a bunch of speculation. A $100,000-$120,000 Supra?? What happened to it being affordable like the RX-8 and 350Z?

Old May 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #30
Destroyer of Tires

I don't know... you could get a Z-Tuned Skyline for that much.
It's cool that it will *suposedly* be able to compete against the European supercars though

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in