never underestimate a camry - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM   #1

never underestimate a camry

What's up people. Early this morning My gen 4 5sfe auto walked on a 95 626 5-speed V6. I had no intention on going against him cuz I saw his twin pipes and I knew it was a V6 version. I was pleasanlty surprised. He had his cats cut i think so it was loud as hell. I didn't know he was gonna get on it so I eased on the gas in the beginning @ about 20-25, then I heard his V6 start to open up so I stepped on it. By the time I got to 80, I could see his sideview mirror in my passenger side mirror. I laughed and got on the brakes and he eased off. He had nothing to say. I knew he was embarassed as hell. I only have a k&n air/oil filter, ngk platinum plugs, and some little things. nothing that'll boost my power and response greatly. It was very early and no one was on the street @ the time. always choose your battles wisely and if it was crowded, i wouldn't have raced him.
klex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:29 PM   #2
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Nice run

That was a good match-up

The V6 Camry is no joke, even the 3rd gen (1992-1996 models) V6's can move pretty well (especially the SE). I wouldn't want to race one in my AV6, at least not from a stop

BTW, you have the 1MZ-FE, not the 5s-fe

Also, I'm not sure if you know this or not, but make sure to run at least 91 octane for maximum power. You probably lose about 10HP or so when you run 87 in the 1MZ-FE.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #3

ni, i still have the 5sfe 4 cyl. i wanted the 1mz but now im thinking of the 2grfe as a better option. that 4 cyl isnt as slow as people think. i have light tweaks.
klex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 4th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #4
Back to boost...

Send a message via AIM to nc00max
I had a '96 Camry, loved that car. Had pretty good top end for a 4 banger, I remember pissing off more than a few ricers. That car was awesome, so solid, I'd really like to get another one to go back and forth to work with.
nc00max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #5

Not trying to down your kill but a friend of mine had a run in with a camry recently here. Late 90s camry auto that kept creeping at the light and revving his engine. Must have been an idiot kid cuz my friend has a 2005 jeep cherokee with a 5.7 liter hemi in it. All time 4wd plus huge amounts of torque pwned this guy bad by 60. Of course he did the flyby after my friend let off, oh well. I know I would probly get owned in my accord by a camry so it is nice to have friends with fast cars
QuickAccordV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
I had a 95 camry and that thing was built tough. Drove it to 198,xxx miles before it was totalled. Yeah I'll admit the av6 is faster, but the camry easily wins the reliability contests. And on top of that I always drove my camry to the edge, on the other hand with the Accord I barely ever push it because it seems like something bad is bound to happen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #7
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
Speaking of Camrys and being owned, did any of you guys read the editorials in the most recent Car and Driver with the Yellow Z06 Vette on the cover? Somebody wrote "you guys tested the Hemi 300C and the Camry is only 0.1 seconds slower to 60mph, would that not be the ultimate sleeper car?"

My bro's Solara's got the 3.3L V6 and supposedly according to MT and C&D and so on, it's got a 6.6second 0-60mph. I thought the 300C would be faster than that.
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23
The V6 Camry is no joke, even the 3rd gen (1992-1996 models) V6's can move pretty well (especially the SE). I wouldn't want to race one in my AV6, at least not from a stop
The SE is just badging for the Gen 3 Camry, there's no difference in HP. 92-93 Cam's had the 3VZ-FE, and the 94-96 had the 1MZ-FE.
graphite28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #9
keepin' it OG

Send a message via AIM to Kiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by klex
What's up people. Early this morning My gen 4 5sfe auto walked on a 95 626 5-speed V6. I had no intention on going against him cuz I saw his twin pipes and I knew it was a V6 version. I was pleasanlty surprised. He had his cats cut i think so it was loud as hell. I didn't know he was gonna get on it so I eased on the gas in the beginning @ about 20-25, then I heard his V6 start to open up so I stepped on it. By the time I got to 80, I could see his sideview mirror in my passenger side mirror. I laughed and got on the brakes and he eased off. He had nothing to say. I knew he was embarassed as hell. I only have a k&n air/oil filter, ngk platinum plugs, and some little things. nothing that'll boost my power and response greatly. It was very early and no one was on the street @ the time. always choose your battles wisely and if it was crowded, i wouldn't have raced him.
another one of your famous stories... did you ever raced plummy? cuz i still think your stories are sorry, just my opinion from your recent posts...

KIET

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiet; November 9th, 2005 at 08:45 PM..
Kiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #10
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiet
another one of your famous stories... did you ever raced plummy? cuz i still think your stories are sorry, just my opinion from your recent posts...

I owned a 99 camry 5s-fe 4cyl, I had a greddy evo 1 CB exhaust, UR underdrive pulley and injen Sr intake, I also had NGK plugs and wires. That car was about as slow as they come, they weight in at nearly 3300 pounds, the car is 133 hp stock, my car dynoed, PROVED to be 135 hp at the wheels with all those mods, the car goes 0-60 in roughly 10.3 seconds(stock). mine might have been doing it in 9.5 secs These numbers are not BS. Not to mention the car ran, on my best pass, a mid 17's at the track, POS, it had some decent tourque, maybe 140 ft/lbs. Easily the slowest car I have ever driven in my life, I had it for over 5 years, my accord V6 would own it , my boy has a 2002 camry V6 and we raced once i got my accord, on a track I OWNED him, by a soild 1.8 seconds. My E/T was 14.591 and his was 16.375. Anyone who tells me the camry is fast is just full of it. its a nice family sedan, smooth and plush but otherwise its a slushbox, also toyota brakes suck, my cars ABS failed, leading to a full brake system failure and subsequently i hit a tree doing 35 mph, to avoid killing a child on a bicycle. I would never buy a camry as long as I live. POS ok :rantoff:
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #11
Oh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05AV6

I owned a 99 camry 5s-fe 4cyl, I had a greddy evo 1 CB exhaust, UR underdrive pulley and injen Sr intake, I also had NGK plugs and wires. That car was about as slow as they come, they weight in at nearly 3300 pounds, the car is 133 hp stock, my car dynoed, PROVED to be 135 hp at the wheels with all those mods, the car goes 0-60 in roughly 10.3 seconds(stock). mine might have been doing it in 9.5 secs These numbers are not BS. Not to mention the car ran, on my best pass, a mid 17's at the track, POS, it had some decent tourque, maybe 140 ft/lbs. Easily the slowest car I have ever driven in my life, I had it for over 5 years, my accord V6 would own it , my boy has a 2002 camry V6 and we raced once i got my accord, on a track I OWNED him, by a soild 1.8 seconds. My E/T was 14.591 and his was 16.375. Anyone who tells me the camry is fast is just full of it. its a nice family sedan, smooth and plush but otherwise its a slushbox, also toyota brakes suck, my cars ABS failed, leading to a full brake system failure and subsequently i hit a tree doing 35 mph, to avoid killing a child on a bicycle. I would never buy a camry as long as I live. POS ok :rantoff:
I wonder how your old POS would compare to my 6th gen 4 banger POS haha. What would the NGK wires and plugs do?
mYsTiKLeGeNdZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #12
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
my boy has a 2002 camry V6 and we raced once i got my accord, on a track I OWNED him, by a soild 1.8 seconds. My E/T was 14.591 and his was 16.375. Anyone who tells me the camry is fast is just full of it.
Yes, that's the slowest possible Gen5 V6 Camry with the old 192 non VVT-i 3.0L and a 4AT. For 2005 you could get a 3.3L with 225hp/240tq, and a 5AT, and enough torque to rip a gen7 AV6 auto a new one out of the hole and from lower speeds. Lamer mag racing, but Edmunds.com did a head to head test and the two cars were within a tenth of each other in the 1/4 mile.

Quote:
its a nice family sedan, smooth and plush but otherwise its a slushbox, also toyota brakes suck, my cars ABS failed, leading to a full brake system failure and subsequently i hit a tree doing 35 mph, to avoid killing a child on a bicycle. I would never buy a camry as long as I live. POS ok :rantoff:
Pretty much any head to head comparison you see, the Camry consistently out-brakes the Accord. I've seen dozens of gen7 owners here also plow their cars into curbs, guardwalls, trees, go down embankements because of miserable handling and horrid brakes also. Lots of 240hp to get up to high speeds, but poor handling and lousy brakes to get you slowed down for that turn.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #13
Oh yeah!

Always the devil's advocate aren't you?
mYsTiKLeGeNdZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #14
A turbo says

Send a message via ICQ to Toysrme Send a message via AIM to Toysrme Send a message via Yahoo to Toysrme
Cool

Quote:
the car is 133 hp stock, my car dynoed, PROVED to be 135 hp at the wheels
Not off
Quote:
greddy evo 1 CB exhaust, +5 bhp
UR underdrive pulley, +2bhp
injen Sr intake, +0
I also had NGK plugs and wires, +0
sub 10bhp worth of mods doesn't equal 35whp.

Definition of a hipocrit. See:
Quote:
Grow up kid. There is no way you would have close to going from 133bhp to 165bhp on a 5s-fe even if you add the new defunct Bosal headers to that list.

There is no reason for teenagers to just rampantly lie about things.
I hate lairs...
So explain to us why anyone should take anything you say seriously?

Last edited by Toysrme; November 12th, 2005 at 11:32 AM..
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #15
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
In light of StevTEC's post, he is right the newer models are quite quick, my car was just a hunk of crap, Lemon maybe? I've been sour on the camry for a while, the car just seemed to have very expensive problems on a quite regular basis, and I had a scary accident as a result of faulty brakes, so it just doesn't sit high up in my book. Personal opinion/experience. I like the new camrys, especially with body kits, they look smooth, and god help them that they actually got the ABS issues fixed, cause I hope no one ever has to experience what I did..

Just to answer Toysrme...try readin a little closer next time. I went from 133 hp to 135 hp. LOL I don't know where you got 165 from so before flaming me, read things carefully, thanks. I gained 2 hp over stock, it was a joke.

Last edited by 05AV6; November 15th, 2005 at 09:23 PM..
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Quote:
Just to answer Toysrme...try readin a little closer next time. I went from 133 hp to 135 hp. LOL I don't know where you got 165 from so before flaming me, read things carefully, thanks. I gained 2 hp over stock, it was a joke.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #17

It's funny...05AV6's thread was ALL ABOUT his camry being slow, 17sec 1/4, 9.5 0-60, he's definitely not bragging on how fast his car is...I don't see how you could have taken it any other way? it's funny how people are SOOO quick to jump on others, call them kids and liars simply because they have poor comprehension skills. It's just sad.
graphite28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #18
A turbo says

Send a message via ICQ to Toysrme Send a message via AIM to Toysrme Send a message via Yahoo to Toysrme
Cool

Quote:
Just to answer Toysrme...try readin a little closer next time. I went from 133 hp to 135 hp.

Read your own post kid. Don't blame me for your mistake<s>.

Quote:

Just to clear it up for people.
You're not going to have some "super freak" wide scale, small production engine that just "happened" to leave the plant with an extra 25 horsepower.

It's not some slick M/T that looses little through the entire driveline, making small power gains more meaningful. It's a Toyota A-140 A/T that's loosing 19-21%.
135 wheel horse power * 1.19 = 160 BRAKE horsepower.
Your 133 horsepower engine dynos at 105-110 WHEEL horsepower.

You can flip it any way you want, you said wheel - so you need round about another (at least 27) 30 peak horsepower to make 135whp.

Keep in mind... I am being *more* than fair. I'm spotting you the low numbers on the transmission, assuming your car makes it's peak horsepower from being in tip top condition instead of being down 5-10 horsepower from ring, head gasket wear & build-up.
(Toyota EGR & breather systems are highly overactive. Most LOOSE 5-10 horsepower around 9-12 months from carbon building throughout the intake tract after you clean it.)

The simple fact, is the only things on that generic mod list that give anything is the muffler & UD pulley. Incase you haven't figured it out, mufflers don't give 30 horsepower.

That horsepower, on that engine, with those mods is an impossibility; ergo you're a liar, or had a brain fart & typo, which was it?
I'm sorry if it's blunt, but that's the bottom line.

Last edited by Toysrme; November 30th, 2005 at 02:50 PM..
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #19

pssst...i don't think he knew the differene between wheel and brake hp
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #20
the Lost Sol

Send a message via AIM to KhanhCord
Quote:
Originally Posted by klex
What's up people. Early this morning My gen 4 5sfe auto walked on a 95 626 5-speed V6..
wut kinda car is that? sry for the n00b Qs
KhanhCord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #21
the Lost Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV_33
I had a 95 camry and that thing was built tough. Drove it to 198,xxx miles before it was totalled. Yeah I'll admit the av6 is faster, but the camry easily wins the reliability contests. n
psshh 198k... i sold my old accord LXi when it had 280k ..i'll take that trophy for reliability
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #22
Pedal damn it

Send a message via AIM to whoagorgeous
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanhCord
wut kinda car is that? sry for the n00b Qs
a Mazda
whoagorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 20th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #23
the Lost Sol

oh THAT car... is that supposed to bring the camry up a notch?

thz for the answer gorgeous
Old January 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM   #24
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kleptodathief
u gotta admit the camry trannies r hell better then the accords POS trannies...i still drive a 92' camry v6 and its tranny shifts amazingly smooth with over 300 000kms, pretty sure its original tranny...car has alot of torque too...will a 2001 camry v6 own a 2001 v6 coupe? stock for stock
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM   #25

the accord wins in the 1/4 when its 01 vs 01 stock autos however against a 5speed cam..... sorry its reality.. and i would know.. we have both in our family.. however id love to see a v6 5speed accord show up in that year.. ohh thats right they didnt have them.... or factory warrantied superchargers for that fact.

they also have a supercharger out the for 97up camry 5s-fe made for the camry guys but the mr2 people loved it more.. www.rippmods.com

Last edited by trdkamuri51o; January 22nd, 2006 at 09:57 PM..
trdkamuri51o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:52 PM   #26
Formerly VTEC-v6!

'beating a dead horse' -- ring a bell?
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in