2000 Solara SLE-V6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #1

2000 Solara SLE-V6

I decided, since not extremely pleased with my 03 Accord, to buy a second car. After looking at an Acura 3.2TL (2000 model) and then at a 2000 model Arrest-Me-Red Solara SLE V6. The Solara was Toyota Certified, with 48,500 miles. The Acura was not certified, and had 41,900 miles. The Acura was $19,500 and the Solara $15,000. I want Xenon HID, so I pretty much had made my mind up to get the Acura from the get-go. However, I can get a $500 HID conversion and save $4000 by getting the Solara.

SO I BOUGHT IT!

It has 8 speaker JBL stereo with in dash 6 disc changer, a powerful V6, Automatic Climate, TCS, ABS, SRS Side Airbags, ETC. Basically everything the Accord has minus dual-zone climate. What's odd is that even with 42,000 more miles on the odometer, the Solara still feels more solid and isolated than the new Accord. I have decided to park the Accord and sell it in a few months. This is my first Toyota, but if this is an accurate example of their engineering, then it will not be my last!
99CoupeV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2003, 02:51 AM   #2

So you are leaving us .

I have been in a 2003 Camry and a 2003 Accord 4 door and both felt equally solid on the road. Maybe I just can't feel the difference .

But I have no trust with used cars, especially Certified used. My car has been fine minus the obvious tranny failure but the little things the last owner did to this car has driven me crazy. Some stuff was worn out or slightly broken but still worked. Though overall I still can't stop loving my car despite it's poor treatment form it's first owner.

This is going to be my last used car. You live and you learn .

Enjoy your new car .

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #3

No way... I'll still be here. Even with a Toyota, I still am a huge Honda fan. I've had Nissans and Hondas for years and years so I thought, in order to keep miles off this new Honda, I'd buy a Toyota. And man, I'm glad I did! It doesn't have the... how do I say it... the "soul" of a Honda. The Solara is much more of an appliance. I like it that way, though. It's a secondary car.

Plus, the Accord's being repaired right now and I can't take another Ford Taurus Rental.

Old July 10th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally posted by PlumAccordCoupe on July 10th, 2003 at 04:51 AM

This is going to be my last used car. You live and you learn
There's always an assumed risk in buying a used car. Based on my Maxima, I would definitely buy used again. The only real issue I've had is a bad ignition coil which I was able to swap out myself, and this was not due to the previous owner. I have not exactly driven the car lightly either.

Even if you do end up with a dud, the car has already gone through most of its depreciation when used so you can usually turn it around at little to no cost to yourself. Especially with a Honda.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #5
___

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on July 10th, 2003 at 11:01 AM

Even if you do end up with a dud, the car has already gone through most of its depreciation when used so you can usually turn it around at little to no cost to yourself. Especially with a Honda.
Yea, that's true, the only thing you would probably get stuck with is the taxes that you had to pay when you bought the car used. Is there any way to get around this?
borinka99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #6

Sorry but a Solara is such a "girly" car to me...I've only seen women driving it...

Anyway, sorry to rain on your parade. Enjoy your new ride.
7thGenAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #7
___

Quote:
Originally posted by honda_girrrl on July 10th, 2003 at 02:53 PM

Sorry but a Solara is such a "girly" car to me...I've only seen women driving it...

Anyway, sorry to rain on your parade. Enjoy your new ride.
I like the solara. Have you ever seen the ones with the TRD body kit and rims, they look really nice. Even nicer with the trd supercharger
borinka99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #8

Oh yeah, congrats on your new ride.
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #9

Talking

Hey, I'm joinin the club! I just also bought a 2001 Solara SLE V6 yesterday in pearlescent white, or something like that. Black leather is sweet, JBL audio is clean, but not anything to like what I have planned for this thing for audio, and the V6 is a performer. Very nice car and good overall. So quiet.

Initially, I found a silver 2000 SLE v6 with 42k on odometer like your car, and it was pretty used. Nice car though, even in its used state. Next day, bopped by the Toyota dealership, had an 01 with, get this, 7k on the odometer! WTF!! That's cherry, mint condition. Some grandma must of leased it and left it in the garage or something. Still smells like nice leather and got the new car feel. Great car, very pleased. In a week or two come the 18/19 inch rims, probably 19s, and a drop with tint.

Bad azz vehicle, guys, I'm tellin ya, but the Hondas still got it goin on, no doubt.
BigBohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on July 10th, 2003 at 05:37 PM

Oh yeah, congrats on your new ride.
Steve's being nice tonight. Guess its because they are talking about the Camry and trading in the Accord. I won't get started on this thread lol.

Anyway congrats on your new ride, I rented a 2003 Accord $ banger a couple weeks ago and I had my choice of the Accord or a Solara Camry. Maybe I should have taken the Camry for a spin, cause I was not impressed with the 2003 4banger accord!

Anyway enjoy it and let us know if you have any problems or turn out to dislike the Camry!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on July 10th, 2003 at 02:01 PM

It's not a dud so to speak but he first owner could have made more of an effort to keep it nice. I mean cigarette burns on the roof, floor and two minor spots on the seats is not what I call taking care of. But overall I got a car that that costs 25+ grand for 17 grand and am very happy with it .

But I would like to have that new car experience and be able to take care of it the right way from the get go. When ever I get the money I am going to trade this car in (but I wish I didn't just to get another car ) and test drive every car within the Accords class so that I can pick the car that best suits me and have no though if I made the wrong choice. Now all I need is a new job .

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #12
What Da Pho*?

Send a message via ICQ to bachviet Send a message via AIM to bachviet Send a message via MSN to bachviet Send a message via Yahoo to bachviet
Congrat on your ride!

'00 SS AV6 EX Sedan&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
bachviet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by 1fastv6sedan on July 10th, 2003 at 07:12 PM

Steve's being nice tonight. Guess its because they are talking about the Camry and trading in the Accord. I won't get started on this thread lol.
aaww...it's okay. But damn, I have not layed down that much ownage on ANYBODY in a long long time.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

Old July 10th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by SteVTEC on July 10th, 2003 at 08:52 PM

aaww...it's okay. But damn, I have not layed down that much ownage on ANYBODY in a long long time.
Glad I was there for you Steve.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #15

This car was definitely pampered. I love how silent it is.

No mods in store for this, as usual. I don't mod my vehicles. This V6 is very strong. Steve, do you have any numbers on the Solara? Dynos or times? I can't find anything. Would it give the 03 AV6 a run?

I am very pleased. It's not as FUN as the Accord, but it seems more balanced and it has a softer ride (and I like that soft ride).
Old July 10th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #16
What Da Pho*?

Send a message via ICQ to bachviet Send a message via AIM to bachviet Send a message via MSN to bachviet Send a message via Yahoo to bachviet
Quote:
Originally posted by 99CoupeV6 on July 10th, 2003 at 08:32 PM

This car was definitely pampered. I love how silent it is.

No mods in store for this, as usual. I don't mod my vehicles. This V6 is very strong. Steve, do you have any numbers on the Solara? Dynos or times? I can't find anything. Would it give the 03 AV6 a run?

I am very pleased. It's not as FUN as the Accord, but it seems more balanced and it has a softer ride (and I like that soft ride).
The answer is no unless you have the manual one but it's still no match for the 7gen AV6 6sp. It's a bit slower than the 6gen AV6.
bachviet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:15 PM   #17

The Solara is equal in weight to a 6th Gen AV6 Coupe, has equal peak horsepower, and a SHIA load more low and mid-range torque. It will feel and be a tad quicker than 6th Gen AV6. I have heard of Camry V6 auto guys getting 15.6's stock, and CarTest backs that up. The Solara has a little more power and torque as well so it might even run a 15.5 stock.

Run premium gas. 10.5:1 compression ratio in the 1MZ-FE engine is way too high for 87 octane fuel so it has to run very conservative igntion timing. Upping to premium will allow much more aggressive settings and you'll get some more oomph and responsiveness. Our Highlander has the same engine (+ VVT-i) and upping to premium makes a very noticeable difference. A good 10-15 hp/tq on the butt-dyno.

Still no match for a 7th Gen AV6 in terms of straight line performance, though.

Old July 10th, 2003, 11:49 PM   #18

So VVT-i isn't on the Solara, eh? I hadn't really looked, but I assumed it was. Is Toyota greedy with it or something? LOL
Old July 11th, 2003, 12:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by 99CoupeV6 on July 11th, 2003 at 01:49 AM

So VVT-i isn't on the Solara, eh? I hadn't really looked, but I assumed it was. Is Toyota greedy with it or something? LOL
You don't get VVT-i, but you do get a nifty variable intake manifold and a factory-tuned performance exhaust system (the exhaust system is where the extra 6hp and 5tq come from on the Solara vs the camry sedan).

You're not going to be missing much unless you plan on going over 5000rpm on a daily basis. Even our 3900 lb AWD Highlander could get by without VVT-i, but in the rare times when it seriously needs to hustle it needs all of the help it can get, so it's nice to have.

Last edited by SteVTEC; July 11th, 2003 at 12:17 AM..
Old July 11th, 2003, 01:22 AM   #20
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Congrats on the new ride!
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #21

i bought a used red v6 solara too

It's been about 8 months since I bought my Red Bull. He's a 99 model, and when I bought him the odometer only had 14### miles on the car. Initially, I was sure it was a scam, someone swapped out the meter for a higher resale value. But, the dealer told me that the previous owner was a 60-70 yr. old elderly lady, so she didn't have to drive much. On top of that, the car was kept garaged for the last 5 years or so and the car has never seen snow. In Chicago, a used car w/o salt is GOLD! I've bought it and like yourself, I thought the Solara was very solid and reliable. It wasn't a huge suprise because my parent have had a Sienna for the last 2 years. No problems with either cars so far (knock on wood). Toyota is an awesome, reliable quality manufacturer. Now, all I need is a set of those TRD 17" wheels and some springs.
dscx628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #22

Awesome, Solara's are nice and so is the 1MZ-FE engine I browsed online last night for its 4 door cousin's LE-V6 5speed combo and found some that I might be looking at
Max on This is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #23

superchargers are on sale @ solaraguy.com

www.solaraguy.com "For Sale" section =P I think there are 2 up for grabs. One w/ superlow milage.
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
best of luck on the new car!
i think the solara is more roomier that the AV6 coupe
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
You don't get VVT-i, but you do get a nifty variable intake manifold and a factory-tuned performance exhaust system (the exhaust system is where the extra 6hp and 5tq come from on the Solara vs the camry sedan).

You're not going to be missing much unless you plan on going over 5000rpm on a daily basis. Even our 3900 lb AWD Highlander could get by without VVT-i, but in the rare times when it seriously needs to hustle it needs all of the help it can get, so it's nice to have.
I hope you know VVT-i is continuously variable across ALL rpms while VTEC isn't =P VTEC kicks in over 5000 RPM

That's why there's more torque in Toyotas =D (vs Honda) but Honda has better high end gains =[
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #26
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xravexboix
I hope you know VVT-i is continuously variable across ALL rpms while VTEC isn't =P VTEC kicks in over 5000 RPM

That's why there's more torque in Toyotas =D (vs Honda) but Honda has better high end gains =[
Actually you're comparing apples to oranges. VVT-i and VTEC operate completely differently.

VVT-i adjusts cam phasing which can advance or retard valve timing.
VTEC adjusts cam profiles which can statically adjust cam lift and duration.
By the way, VTEC doesn't engage at over 5000rpm on most hondas, on the J30A1 Accord V6 Engine, it engages at 3500 rpm

Or how about a better comparision?
VVTL-i and i-VTEC?

VVTL-i adds variability to valve lift, and i-VTEC adds Variable Timing Control (VVT-i) to allow them to adjust phasing of the cams.

Considering that VVTL-i is only available in the celica gt-s, and that i-VTEC is available on a host of honda vehicles, civic si, element, accord, rsx, tsx, etc...it's a much more widespread technology.

And btw, VVT-i is only continuously variable over the rpm switchover point thats defined in the ecu map, it doesnt calculate phasing on the fly

PS> Solara's own
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #27
OG from waaay back!

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that only the B-Series Honda blocks had a 5k VTEC kick-in. All the rest were at different points...
G.J. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that only the B-Series Honda blocks had a 5k VTEC kick-in. All the rest were at different points...
Some higher, right? =P I'm not a Honda guy, so I don't know much about VTEC

Note: We can use the Toyota "BRICK" tester and adjust our VVT-i timing, disable VVT-i entirely, etc =] It's nice to work at a dealership!

BTW, I did know that VTEC = LIFT and VVT-i = retard the intake valves, but it's easier to just say analog(vvt-i) vs digital (vtec). =] But that's why it's hard to slap forced induction onto VVT-i engines... VVT-i is based off oil pressures... so massive f/i gains are only acheived when disabling VVT-i.

VVTL-i was a, supposed, scrapped project... we may see its return on the IS 350 (internal rumor)... if it's not on the IS 350, you may never see VVTL-i again. The HP gain is nice for a "race" feel, but the lack of torque was grotesque x_x
Old March 7th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #29
Formerly VTEC-v6!

It is perfectly possible for Toyota to create a VVTL-i powerplant that has ample torque, they just need to bear in mind proper cam profiles primarily and also pay attention to their ignition timing. Both things Honda utterly failed to do with the J30A1 in the 98-02 accord v6's :x
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #30

Quote:
BTW, I did know that VTEC = LIFT and VVT-i = retard the intake valves, but it's easier to just say analog(vvt-i) vs digital (vtec). =] But that's why it's hard to slap forced induction onto VVT-i engines... VVT-i is based off oil pressures... so massive f/i gains are only acheived when disabling VVT-i.
whaaa?

I think what you meant was that boost wreaks havoc on VVT-i engines because the naturally aspirated VVT-i map bleeds off boost due to the overlap when it's fully advanced and that you need to just disable it (full retard). There's plenty of factory boosted engines out there with VVT-i like systems though. You just need a timing map that's setup for boost and not N/A.

Yes I know VVT-i is continuously variable.

Quote:
VVTL-i was a, supposed, scrapped project... we may see its return on the IS 350 (internal rumor)... if it's not on the IS 350, you may never see VVTL-i again. The HP gain is nice for a "race" feel, but the lack of torque was grotesque x_x
there's no need for variable lift in a 3.5L engine. Maybe on the foreign 2.0L versions, but not on the IS350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in