Rav4 V6....WOW! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Rav4 V6....WOW!

Holy Smokes!

http://www.toyota.com/rav4/specs.html

3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve SFI Dual VVT-i V6 [1]
269 hp @ 6200 rpm/246 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm

V6 will be out early March. I just test drove the 4-cyl....VERY NICE ride. I can't wait to try out the V6.

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

What impressed me most was the fuel mileage.

V6 2WD 22/29
V6 4WD 21/28

and 0-60 in less than 7 seconds

This thing blows our Highlander out of the water and is only a little bit smaller. It almost sounds too good to be true so I'll have to lurk on the Edmunds forums to see what kind of real-world mileage people get. Will be anxious to see Consumer Report's mileage tests too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #3

I'll give you the real world info once I pick it up in March

Car and Driver's testing showed 6.3 s for 0-60. Crazy. The 4cyl had very good pick-up when I test drove it. I couldn't believe it at first. Of course, the sales person had to ruin it by stating that it had 219 torque. I'm thinking, BS, but declined to own him on this since my wife and kids were in the car with me.

We tested it w/ the babyseat in the back and my daughter tested out the leg room. VERY ROOMY! Just over 38 inches of leg room! In this "little" car. Toyota cheats a bit by letting you adjust the rear seat bench and also the seat back, so you can recline a bit. In comparison Avalon has just over 40 inches of leg room and the Subaru Outback XT (The other car I was looking at) has just over 33 inches.

I can't wait....lol.

Dizzy

Old January 8th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #4

oooooh, you're getting one? awesome!

Yeah I friggin hate car salesmen. How are the front seats in terms of roominess? On the CR-V there is TONS of room in the back and the rear bench also slides forward, but even with the front seats all the way back I could barely sit in the stupid thing. I could not sit in the front passenger seat at all which I couldn't believe. Seat back all the way and my knees were still jammed solid against the dashboard. The driver's seat was better but still pretty cramped. But in the back with the bench all the way back it was like a limo!

My wife is going to be the SUV driver of the family so we really don't need two, and she'll probably get a Bimmer X5 3.0 next, or the RX350 when they make one so not much sense in me getting one too. I'll probably stick with a sedan, but I really like the fact that when you're in an SUV and sitting up high you can actually see around you and have better situational awareness. In a low sedan surrounded my minivans and SUVs you can't see crap which is really annoying.
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #5

Some CarTest numbers for the RAV4

RAV4 Sport V6 AWD (regular): 0-60 in 6.97s, 1/4 mile in 15.29 @ 87.8 mph (2.15 60')
RAV4 Sport V6 AWD (premium): 0-60 in 6.61s, 1/4 mile in 15.02 @ 89.5 mph (2.10 60')

RAV4 Sport V6 FWD (regular): 0-60 in 6.76s, 1/4 mile in 15.17 @ 90.5 mph (2.35 60')
RAV4 Sport V6 FWD (premium): 0-60 in 6.46s, 1/4 mile in 14.93 @ 92.3 mph (2.33 60')

If you have pretty much ideal conditions, 0-60 in 6.3s and a 14.9 would not be possible with that car for sure. Subtract 2-3 mph off of their 94 mph trap speed due to using actual and not averaged traps and their trap speed is pretty close to cartest's 89.5 mph too (under normal conditions). Anyways, that's awesome!

If it was just me I would definitely get one of these. The first car I looked at coming out of college was the Xterra, but I saw the mileage and 0-60 and said forget it. If this thing was out then it would be a no brainer. Plenty of hauling capability for moving and buying stuff for apts, great performance, and good highway mileage also. This thing will sell big time for Toyota.

BTW when I say premium I mean the 280hp/260tq that the engine was originally rated at (apparently on premium) via very lax SAE J1349 test protocols before they tightened them up on the new standards and Toyota got owned.
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Formerly VTEC-v6!

photoshop time
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #7
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Send a message via AIM to HwaNi.J30A-C
jesus, toyota RAV4 with 270hp?????

what the hell is toyota doing.. After the super camry, and now the super RAV4.
Putting wrong engines in these cars!!
I guess toyota really wants to step up in horsepower race or something.
HwaNi.J30A-C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #8

Yeah the car doesn't "need" 270hp that's for sure, but it's all about horsepower nowadays. And with that in mind, they're trying to compete with Nissan which dropped a 270hp VQ40 in their Xterra, Pathfinder, and a few other SUVs and trucks. Honda also has the 247hp Ridgeline although the Tacoma is really the Ridgeline competitor. Then there's the 3.7L Jeep Liberty. Only 210hp, but it has 235 lb-ft of torque which is more important in SUVs than peak horsepower and even the most tuned up Toyota 3.0L would not match that. Ford is also going to start dropping their 3.5L V6 in a lot of cars and SUVs soon too.

Personally I think cars are plenty powerful and this is just excess. If they dropped power across the line by 10-20% they could make a lot of the new engine technology actually work as intended for better economy (in the face of $3/gal gas prices) instead of using it to make bigger engines while holding fuel economy steady.
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #9
7th Gen ACcord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
What impressed me most was the fuel mileage.

V6 2WD 22/29
V6 4WD 21/28

and 0-60 in less than 7 seconds

This thing blows our Highlander out of the water and is only a little bit smaller. It almost sounds too good to be true so I'll have to lurk on the Edmunds forums to see what kind of real-world mileage people get. Will be anxious to see Consumer Report's mileage tests too.
crazy. i barely get 30mpg on my 4banger 7th gen and thats driving 90% highway.
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #10
Formerly VTEC-v6!

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...945#post851945
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #11
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
toyota is one of the sickest stock power engines evAr. ok i dont make sense. basically toyota has always offered the most powerful stock engines with full warranties from teh factory. all you had to do was add their supercharger.

but cmon isnt all this power a little too much excess for a CUV?

please forgive me if i sound silly.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #12
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Nope, it adds that fun-to-drive factor to cars that can actually haul stuff around and be functional
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #13
♠ 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT ♠

Send a message via AIM to lowincash Send a message via MSN to lowincash
finally the rav4 doesn't look as girly anymore haha
lowincash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #14

It's built for guys like me that are missing the pocket rockets due to having kids. Now we can have our cake and eat it too.

Yes, honey...its for the FAMILY. Of course I need the V6? I'll be hauling at least one car seat, a stroller, and tons of shopping bags. Oh...and through in the occasional trips w/ 2 Bichon Frise's and their outdoor kit, and we've got a loaded SUV. That makes the V6 a REQUIRED buy for any "family" man.

Oh....w/ the tow prep kit, I can haul 3500 lbs of stuff. That's also a must if you want me to haul the kids and our bicycles in the future.

AWD. Snow. Nuff said. So what if it's only once or twice a year that we need it.

After going over our finances....hopefully we'll be able to pick this up around Labor Day....I can't wait!!!

Dizzy
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #15

Hey Dizzy have you seen this?

http://hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2...51080&mime=asc

The Turbo Acura RDX is now official: 2.3L, 240hp/260tq

Should be a neat comparison with a V6 RAV4 making 269hp/246tq.

RDX goes on sale this summer.
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #16
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
Quote:
Hey Dizzy have you seen this?

http://hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2...51080&mime=asc

The Turbo Acura RDX is now official: 2.3L, 240hp/260tq

Should be a neat comparison with a V6 RAV4 making 269hp/246tq.

RDX goes on sale this summer.
id take the rav, cos i dont want to deal with tranny issues.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #17
Brawn GP > RBR Renault

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
id take the rav, cos i dont want to deal with tranny issues.
My TSX tranny is fine with 50,000mi's.
drkangel348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Waterp7
Japanese muscle cars begin to enter the ranks...
Waterp7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #19
V6 -> I4 -> I6

Quote:
Personally I think cars are plenty powerful and this is just excess. If they dropped power across the line by 10-20% they could make a lot of the new engine technology actually work as intended for better economy (in the face of $3/gal gas prices) instead of using it to make bigger engines while holding fuel economy steady.
Totally agree.

Its funny how commercials are these days. Most of them begins with,
"xxx horsepower. best in the class!" and they end it with "it 'still' gets xx mpg".
Catch is, "still". It ain't really getting better, eh?

With all this horsepower race here and there, bumped up power is good for us
consumers, but sometimes, I think they are forgetting about other main priorities.

btw, isn't toyota still the top-dog when it comes down to fuel/battery cars?
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #20

The question about the RDX is.....how much will this cost? The Rav4 V6 is expected to cost 28k-30k. With all that "new" technology in the RDX, I could see it easily go over 30k. I'm trying to keep it under 30k if possible

Dizzy
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
The question about the RDX is.....how much will this cost? The Rav4 V6 is expected to cost 28k-30k. With all that "new" technology in the RDX, I could see it easily go over 30k. I'm trying to keep it under 30k if possible

Dizzy
Considering a TSX MSRPs at $27k, and this thing has Acura's Super Duper Pooper AWD system, and the first turbo for a US based car, I would expect it to be in the low/mid-$30k range below the MDX which is in the higher $30k range. Also, I would fully expect a huge honda fanatic rush for this thing. You know the ricers and fanboys are already nutting themselves over this thing so I bet the dealers are going to be front loading the crap out of them or even doing "market adjustment" markups for a good 6 months. So I wouldn't expect to be able to get one south of $35k for a good 6 months assuming my pricing guesstimate is accurate.
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #22
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Quote:

Dizzy
Check CarsDirect for Rav4 pricing, MSRP on a V6 Sport is around 24k
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC-v6!
Check CarsDirect for Rav4 pricing, MSRP on a V6 Sport is around 24k
good find. I checked that like yesterday and they still only had the 4-cyl models on it.

I suspect Dizzy will go for a Limited model which starts at $26k, but good luck finding a "base" Limited model. Most of the ones you'll find at dealerships will have most of the options and will probably MSRP in the $28-30k range. If you throw in the rear seat DVD system you're over $30k. I bet demand for this puppy will be hot for about 6 months, so you might not be able to get good deals on them at first. I remember new Avalons were going for about MSRP for the first 6 months also.
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #24
Formerly VTEC-v6!

I checked it two days ago
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #25
User #4002

Send a message via ICQ to wildpikachu Send a message via AIM to wildpikachu Send a message via MSN to wildpikachu Send a message via Yahoo to wildpikachu
Quote:
It's built for guys like me that are missing the pocket rockets due to having kids. Now we can have our cake and eat it too.
Yes, honey...its for the FAMILY. Of course I need the V6? I'll be hauling at least one car seat, a stroller, and tons of shopping bags. Oh...and through in the occasional trips w/ 2 Bichon Frise's and their outdoor kit, and we've got a loaded SUV. That makes the V6 a REQUIRED buy for any "family" man.
Oh....w/ the tow prep kit, I can haul 3500 lbs of stuff. That's also a must if you want me to haul the kids and our bicycles in the future.
AWD. Snow. Nuff said. So what if it's only once or twice a year that we need it.
After going over our finances....hopefully we'll be able to pick this up around Labor Day....I can't wait!!!
Dizzy
You have more than 1 kid!?.. anyways.. May I uses these reasons, so I can try to get my wife a RAV4 V6 (TRD supercharger if they make one) *drool*
wildpikachu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #26

I'm actually skipping on the rear seat dvd system and will be putting in my own either hanging on the headrests or embedded into the headrests. After living w/ the present rear seat dvd system in my SIenna, it leaves a lot to be desired. not to mention the fact that its difficult for someone in the 2nd row to see the movie w/o cranking up their heads at a painful again for more then 5 mins. And the fact that my daugher has to raise her head an twist it to see it as well.

I think in most cases, having one right in front of them at eyelevel would be the best way.

My friend at Alexandria Toyota tells me that they've been told that the Rav4 V6 Limited will be hitting 28-30k depending on options. Heck, a 4 cyl Rav4 Limited shows an MSRP of around 28k already!

Dizzy

p.s. Only one kid and 2 dogs. I'm just planning for another kid, thus the reason for a bigger car
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #27
V6 -> I4 -> I6

30k for Rav4.........?
Old January 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #28

That will smoke an X3.
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #29
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkangel348
My TSX tranny is fine with 50,000mi's.
Umm my friend, my first failure occured at 102500km (65000mi). on my Gen 6
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in