3vzfe or 1mzfe in the mr2? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which engine would be best?
1mzfe boosted 0 0%
1mzfe leave it n/a 0 0%
3vzfe boosted 3 75.00%
3vzfe leave it n/a 0 0%
forget about the v6 & go with the turbo I4 3sgte 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Hey! Zeus

Send a message via AIM to gsus Send a message via MSN to gsus
3vzfe or 1mzfe in the mr2?

hey guys, i'm new here & i'm trying to decide on what engine i would want to swap in my n/a 91 toyota mr2 (which is currently equipped with a 5s-fe). i'm not looking for a monster since the mr2 is pretty much my daily driver in spring/summer/fall. I would eventually love to get around 230-250rwhp, but i'll be staying n/a for a while after the swap is done.... which of the of these two engines would be best for my power goal? which would cost more to get to my power goal? how well do these engines accept boost? are there any pros/cons to any one of these engines?

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gsus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Lexus ***ociate Discount!

Send a message via AIM to xravexboix
The 1MZ boosted will pull a lot of power, but maintenance w/ the supercharger on that sucker blows!! ESPECIALLY when it's in an MR2... you'll have to drop the engine out of the chassis if *anything* goes wrong.

I would just keep it simple w/ a 3S-GTE. You may want to look into getting the third gen revision though (flat torque curve I think? I haven't read about the 3S in a while). You can easily swap out the turbo for the new GT series (high peak and fast spool) and safely acheieve 220 rwhp. With the usual support mods, you can easily hit your high goal (or even exceed it).

The only difference would lie in the pricing. 3S-GTE are slightly more expensive than 1MZs. Plus the high compression ratio in the 1MZ almost ensures a blown knock sensor if you run it too hard or up the boost. One guy I helped out blew 2 cylinders running stock!! He simply pushed the engine too hard before it 'accepted' the s/c. His car only had 30K or so miles.

Good luck!

3VZ, is that the Camry V6 before the 1MZ entered the scene? Or is that the Tacoma engine? Eitherway, I wouldn't touch it. Boosting older engines = bad idea unless you know the whole history of how it was driven and stuff. If you keep it n/a however, then it may be ok... but is still prone to expensive maintenance if the engine does require any large jobs (drop the engine...) and 'retrofitting' engines to be different is cool, but end up costing the first few testers some extra money.

Last edited by xravexboix; January 16th, 2006 at 12:19 PM..
xravexboix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in