2007 Camry to be Manufactured By Subaru - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Post 2007 Camry to be Manufactured By Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Pressroom
Greetings from Toyota!

Toyota adds Camry production in Indiana

March 13, 2006 Lafayette, IN - Governor Mitch Daniels announced today that the Toyota Camry will be built at Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (SIA), directly creating about 1,000 jobs.

The news is part of a collaborative agreement announced today between SIA parent Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI) and Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), a FHI stakeholder.

About $230 million will be invested to install Camry manufacturing processes in an existing SIA line capable of producing about 100,000 vehicles annually. Camry production at SIA begins in Spring 2007.

With this additional capacity and other expansions underway, Toyota will have North American annual production capacity of about 2 million cars and trucks by 2008.

Camry production in Indiana replaces imports and provides Toyota with the ability to build more of the popular car. Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky (TMMK), which builds Camry, will support SIA by providing training on Camry processes. Parts and materials for the Indiana-built Camry will be sourced and procured by Toyota.

"Toyota and Subaru are tremendous corporate citizens who have boosted our economy in Indiana. Now, we will be the first state with Toyota vehicle production in two different plants," Gov. Daniels said.

"We are pleased to further boost localization by moving Camry production in Japan to the United States. It's a win-win situation for Toyota and SIA, and for our suppliers whose businesses will grow," said Gary Convis, president of TMMK. "This will be the same high quality and reliability that have made Camry the best-selling U.S. car. We have the highest confidence in SIA to help us continue to meet our customers' expectations."

"For over 16 years SIA associates have been building high quality Subaru vehicles in Indiana," said Tom Easterday, senior vice president of SIA. "Today's announcement that we will add production of the Toyota Camry at SIA in 2007 reaffirms that SIA has an outstanding workforce that is prepared to meet the challenges of a very competitive automotive market. All associates at SIA look forward to working closely with Toyota on this project."

Currently, SIA builds the Subaru B9 Tribeca, Outback, Legacy and Baja. SIA produced about 120,000 Subarus in 2005. The Subaru B9 Tribeca will move to the production line where the Outback, Legacy and Baja are currently built to make room for the Camry.

Toyota (NYSE:TM) established operations in North America in 1957 and currently operates 14 manufacturing plants including two under construction. There are more than 1,700 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealerships in North America which sell more than 2.5 million vehicles a year. Toyota directly employs over 38,000 in North America and its investment here is currently valued at more than $16.8 billion, including sales and manufacturing operations, research and development, financial services and design. Toyota's annual purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American suppliers totals more than $26 billion. According to a 2005 Center for Automotive Research study, Toyota, along with its dealers and suppliers, has generated nearly 400,000 U.S. jobs, including jobs created through spending by direct, dealer and suppliers employees.

Toyota produces 10 vehicles in North America, including the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Sienna, Solara, Sequoia, Tacoma, Tundra and the Lexus RX 330. By 2008, Toyota will have the annual capacity to build about 2 million cars and trucks, 1.44 million engines and 600,000 automatic transmissions in North America.
Innnnnteresting.....
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #2
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
enh. toyota has no capacity and subaru does.

efficient use of resources. its cost based management accounting

OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #3
ex scientia vera

So with the addition of this Camry build site, is Kentucky and Indiana the only two places that build the Camry?

What will be interesting to see is if there will be noticeable quality differences between Camry's from the Kentucky site and those in the early stages of the Indiana site. Even though the processes are going to be replicated, we all know there are kinks to be worked out. Interesting indeed! Good find James.
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #4
JB4 e92

AWD Turbocharged Camry?

Interesting news...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clean2draccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:04 AM   #5
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Very interesting indeed .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:17 AM   #6
SIR Bound....Slowly

Actually to fill you in guys.. Subaru is not building the camry.. Toyota is moving in the same plant as Subaru.. Subaru Of Indiana Automotive is huge and houses enough room for 2 companies under one name.. Before they had Isuzu as their building partner.. Isuzu shut down the lines and moved out.. So now toyota is moving in where isuzu was to build the camry.. i worked at SIA for a short period of time for another company.

Check out my car on cardomain!

Here&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by Thundagoose; March 22nd, 2006 at 06:15 PM..
Thundagoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:01 AM   #7
indoctidiscant

exact;y ^ what he jsut said. toyota bought about 9% of Fuji heavy industries from the 20% stake GM sold in in it.

this is simply Toyota using Subarus spare assembly line capacity. it will employ toyota workers and have the machinery/tooling swapped around a little to accomodate the camry line
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:25 PM   #8
SIR Bound....Slowly

I can also tell you that the cars will be of same quality between the two plants.. I can almost guarantee the Kentucy plant will send engineers and Line inspectors to the SIA plant. When i worked at at SIA for that short time, i was inspecting the windows that went in the Legacy wagon.. They had a total of 7 line inspectors that would look over certain parts of the car and they were extremely detailed so the only cars that rolled out were probably 99.9% flawless.. So i think the camry will be just as great of quality as what the other plant produces.. Also there wont be a lot of downtime for the camry line as all of the machinery can still be used but just needs to be reprogrammed and get all the parts in the places they want along the line.

Here&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #9
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean2draccord
AWD Turbocharged Camry?

Interesting news...
Camry WRX STi or Camry XLE/SE?
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #10
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Thanks for the updates Thundagoose and OwAce .

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #11
President & GC of V6P.Net

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
It should be interesting if Subaru also "borrows" some designs from Toyota and vice versa as some others have pointed out. AWD Turbo Camry's? LOL.

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #12
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
It should be interesting if Subaru also "borrows" some designs from Toyota and vice versa as some others have pointed out. AWD Turbo Camry's? LOL.

Dizzy
that is possible. GM did borrow the impreza to make the Saabura. it also borrowed the Tribeca to make the Saab SUV.

most probably you are goign to see Toyota lend it's hybrid technology to Subaru, and the awd to toyota for use in its CUVs and large cars possibly.
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #13
SIR Bound....Slowly

Thats all that toyota dreams about at night.. i dont think subaru and toyota will ever merge parts or technology just cause they are in the same plant.. If the camry is the only car thats gonna be produced on the toyota line then there will be no compatability for CUV's or any of the larger toyota's.. Its all dream that is very unlikely to come true.. but hey.. nothin wrong with dreamin

and personally i think that is too much time and money to be spent just to design, model and manufacture a suitable awd turbo toyota vehicle.

But hey.. a couple years down the road i could be wrong.. subaru might do something drastic.. but i still highly doubt it.. there pretty picky..

Here&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by Thundagoose; April 6th, 2006 at 07:16 PM..
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #14
My Third Accord!

Send a message via AIM to acb384 Send a message via MSN to acb384
tribecca was not used fo for the saab SUV. The trailblazer, envoy, bravada platform was.
if you parked them all side by side they are all very similar except for taillights, front clips and interiors. its mostly like a bravada...you could probably swap taillights and interiors. also look at the steering wheel fo for the saab 9-7 XUV its got a trailblazer-ish steering wheel.
acb384 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #15
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb384
tribecca was not used fo for the saab SUV. The trailblazer, envoy, bravada platform was.
if you parked them all side by side they are all very similar except for taillights, front clips and interiors. its mostly like a bravada...you could probably swap taillights and interiors. also look at the steering wheel fo for the saab 9-7 XUV its got a trailblazer-ish steering wheel.
drivetrain.
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #16
My Third Accord!

the tribecca has a 3.0L boxer engine.
The 9-7XUV "4.2i" has an inline 6... the vortec 4200 inline 6 in the Envoy? the 5.3i model has a 5.3L V8...Vortec 5300 V8 thats in the Envoy Denali....
drivetrains are likely the same as trailblazer/envoy
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #17
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb384
the tribecca has a 3.0L boxer engine.
The 9-7XUV "4.2i" has an inline 6... the vortec 4200 inline 6 in the Envoy? the 5.3i model has a 5.3L V8...Vortec 5300 V8 thats in the Envoy Denali....
drivetrains are likely the same as trailblazer/envoy
hrmm....

cos maybe they share the same AWD platform? because i remember back in 04 that is what they were aiming for with subaru.
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #18
My Third Accord!

yeah, i dont know for sure. maybe going with the subaru components was too expensive. I would think it would be much cheaper for saab to go with parent GM's ranier/railblazer/envoy platform.
Engineering the subaru drivetrain to mate with the GM powertrain would also not make sense because those GMs powertrains already have 4wd drivetrains
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Midnight Runner
interesting...
Midnight Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #20
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
Toyobaru Camreza

We need a PS master to make one.
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #21
BULLPOO

Subyota Legmry
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #22
Formerly VTEC-v6!

I'll play with it later...it will have some boring ass toyota exterior with a badass subaru powertrain
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #23
BULLPOO

Oh I can do that James...

I just PSed the drivetrain in there. See it!?

Old July 26th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #24
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
Great, the last thing we need is to have even more Japanese cars having American build quality. Considering it too was built in the US it's no wonder the 6th Gen AV6 has all the problems it has (see "You know you drive a 6th Gen Accord" thread).
Kuya Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #25
BULLPOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuya Master
Great, the last thing we need is to have even more Japanese cars having American build quality. Considering it too was built in the US it's no wonder the 6th Gen AV6 has all the problems it has (see "You know you drive a 6th Gen Accord" thread).

Toyota hasn't ever built a car in the US before?
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #26
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC-v6!
some boring ass toyota exterior
your kidding right?

new camry se? ....
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #27
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder
Toyota hasn't ever built a car in the US before?
Wow... your reading comprehension for the loss! Did I say that? No.
Kuya Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #28
SIR Bound....Slowly

Yes.. American Build.. but Japanese Quality Inspectors.. a good dozen of them each inspecting the cars.. they are freakin crazy picky.. Thats at the SIA Plant when i was there inspecting the Subaru Legacy Wagon's windows.. You can probably expect the same for the toyota side.. I forsee excellent quality camry's coming from that plant.. Subaru's Too

Here&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #29
Brawn GP > RBR Renault

I wouldn't count on any turbo AWD Camrys...
Thats Subaru's Niche'.
GM owned 20% of Subaru.
Toyota only owns around ~9% of Subaru, and this is how it will be used.
drkangel348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #30
SIR Bound....Slowly

I dont know why turbo'd AWD Camry's keep getting brought up in this thread.. they are just sharing the plant.. not incorperating technology with each other..keep it in your dreams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in