Anyone figure out the Solara V6 Drive By Wire jerkiness/tranny issue yet for 3.3L? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #1
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
Anyone figure out the Solara V6 Drive By Wire jerkiness/tranny issue yet for 3.3L?

I felt the hesitiation, it freaked me out compared to driving my Accord v6 w/drive by wire as the Accord is a lot more responsive in terms of auto gear shifts.
Fuggedaboutid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #2
President & GC of V6P.Net

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
The ECU has to learn your driving style. Also, using premium gas helps as well. Drive w/ a lead foot for about a week and hesitation will mostly be gone.

Many folks have tried to do a ECU reflash update by Toyota, but have reported mixed results.

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Got navi?

Send a message via ICQ to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via AIM to Fuggedaboutid Send a message via Yahoo to Fuggedaboutid
The only current solution is to use Sport Shift mode, but that kills fuel economy. Honda doe a better job of transmissions on drive by wire, but the Solara is 99% perfect other than DBW jerkiness?

Old April 10th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to -MiltDoggie-
The Flash does help, and no premium gas needed, manual on the solara states to use 87 so regular is fine.
-MiltDoggie- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #5
President & GC of V6P.Net

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
The manual for the Sienna says the same thing about using regular unleaded. Trust me, do a week w/ premium and do a week w/ regular. There is a huge difference. We use the same engine as in the Solara. www.siennaclub.org has over 2 years of info about the hesitation issue and how some folks have tried to solve it. Mine dissappeared after I started using premium gas. Since I already drive w/ a lead foot, the ECU quickly learned my driving style. A flash was supposidly done at my last service (i gave the the TSB on it ) and I"ve noticed better fuel mileage since then.

Dizzy

Dizzy
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #6
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I don't care what the stupid manual says about what fuel to use because that's manipulated by marketing dweebs who know nothing. With 10.8:1 compression and port injection you should not be putting in anything less than premium fuel in the 3MZ-FE.

3MZ-FE rating on regular: 210hp/220tq
3MZ-FE rating on premium: 223hp/238tq

The engine detunes itself on regular by 18 lb-ft of torque which is a huuuuuge difference. Especially with a minivan where you always have a much higher load, you should not put in anything less than premium. Our Highlander has the 1MZ with 10.5:1 CR and regular vs premium is a pretty big difference there too. But it doesn't have ETC so we don't have any problems with throttle lag either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #7
Got navi?

I'm a business grad student, point is that I see the clashes between marketing vs. design vs. engineer vs. management/low costs/market penetration. Premium fuel works as a negative strike for a car b/c of the perceived 10 cents/Litre or 20cents gallon difference, which seems to fall under increased operating costs. Definitely, not true.

To be fair, I took all of your advice and put premium, first of all Sunoco 93 (a little insane) but 4more mpg, smoother less herky jerky and maybe even better acceleration due to not being detuned have been noticed. I averaged 29.3mpg doing 65-85mph with occasional squirts to passing gear in a 1.5hr hwy run. This is on a Solara
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #8
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Shoulda gotten the 4 banger...my mileage rocks

And I can pass people on the highway as long as I draft them
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in