Toyota Camry V6: 0-60 in 5.8 seconds! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #1
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Thumbs up Toyota Camry V6: 0-60 in 5.8 seconds!

Car & Driver made a list of the top 10 quickest cars of 2007 in the $20,000-$25,000 price range, and guess who came in second?

The 2007 Camry V6.

It blasted to 60 in a mere 5.8 seconds and tore through the quarter-mile in 14.3 seconds at 99 mph 0-100 was accomplished in just 14.5 seconds.

Those numbers placed it just behind the #1 WRX, which was a tiny bit quicker to 60 (5.6 seconds), ran an identical quarter-mile time, but fell way behind beyond the quarter-mile with a 0-100 time of 15.8.

Check out the rest of the article HERE

But wow, I knew the new Camry V6 was quick, but a 5.8 0-60 time is crazy! That's quicker than a 6-speed AV6.

Speaking of the AV6, it wasn't on the list. Not because it isn't quick enough (the 6-speed would've placed 4th based on its 14.5 second quarter-mile time in the February 2006 issue), but because you can't get a 6-speed for $25,000 The automatic AV6 SE probably missed 10th place by about a tenth or two, though they haven't even tested an SE V6, only a heavy EX-L V6 which ran a 15.1 in the December 2005 issue.

IMO, the family sedan HP war is getting a bit out of hand. Do we really need FWD family sedans to hit 60 in less than 6 seconds and run 14's at the track? Not really. Who needs that kind of power in speed-limited daily driving? My AV6 is much slower than the new Camry V6, but it still has enough power to pull off some really stupid stunts in traffic (especially on the highway), which is not necessarily a good thing.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I remember this same thread in 2002 when the 240hp Altima and 255hp Maxima and some other cars came out, but Honda still had the 200hp 6th gen AV6 out that year, which was pathetic in comparison. It was the same thing. family sedan HP war getting out of hand, who needs that much power, yadda yadda yadda, and then the 7th gen came out with 240hp and those threads went away and the 7th gen became the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Now it's the same thing. Honda has the 244hp Accord but Nissan has a 270hp Altima and Toyota a 268hp Camry and it's "getting out of hand" again. Just wait till the 8th gen is out and then Honda will have something that tops all those depending on how they spin it once again.

I hope we don't get a flood of moronic n0obs like last time though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I'm not surprised the Camry V6 made the list. Toyotas have always made good engines. But yeah, that 14.5 0-100 time is crazy. I think the stock 03-05 6-speed Accord coupe hit 15.1 0-100 based on the C/D test. Bring on the 8th gen Accord!
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #4
V6P Lover

Send a message via AIM to v62kaccord
yepp those camry's are pretty fast!!! my friend just got an SE V6 version and wowwww so much power
v62kaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #5
A turbo says

Send a message via ICQ to Toysrme Send a message via AIM to Toysrme Send a message via Yahoo to Toysrme
Cool

It'da been #1 running a 14.45s if they woulda put high test in it so it made the full 272bhp.
Ofcorse stock Camry v6's are faster than stock Accord v6's. Toyota & Nissan = wide powerband. Not something Honda has ever done on their v6's until relatively very rescently.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #6
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I remember this same thread in 2002 when the 240hp Altima and 255hp Maxima and some other cars came out, but Honda still had the 200hp 6th gen AV6 out that year, which was pathetic in comparison. It was the same thing. family sedan HP war getting out of hand, who needs that much power, yadda yadda yadda, and then the 7th gen came out with 240hp and those threads went away and the 7th gen became the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Now it's the same thing. Honda has the 244hp Accord but Nissan has a 270hp Altima and Toyota a 268hp Camry and it's "getting out of hand" again. Just wait till the 8th gen is out and then Honda will have something that tops all those depending on how they spin it once again.

I hope we don't get a flood of moronic n0obs like last time though.
I just started this thread to give the new Camry props, not to start another "family sedan hp war is getting out of hand because Accord V6 is teh slowest" thread

I just said that because IMO, it really is getting out of hand. With speed limits as low as they are, making a family sedan (or any other vehicle that isn't intended for the race track) faster and faster is pointless. As I said before, my Accord is plenty quick enough to get myself into trouble in no time at all. All it takes is 16 seconds and I'm going 100 from a standstill, more than doubling the average speed limit in my area and putting myself, other people and wildlife (damn deer) in danger. That kind of speed isn't necessary for normal, sane driving on city streets, and the last time I checked, the autobahn wasn't in the US

All I'm saying is, what's the point of making family sedans faster if you can't use all of that power without breaking the law?

My Accord has way more power and speed than anyone needs on city streets. What is necessary for city driving and safe highway merging is strong low-end and mid-range torque, which my Accord lacks. No doubt about it. And by the looks of it, not even the blazing-fast V6 Camry has the ideal power balance for practical use. Its torque curve is awfully steep and doesn't peak until almost 5000 rpm. So, in that regard it isn't that much better than the current Accord V6. It just has more of the same. At least the VQ35DE has useful power, as it makes gobs of torque just off idle and all the way through the mid-range. So, it's arguably superior to the 2GR-FE for family sedan duty. The 2GR-FE is more fuel efficient, so it's more practical than the VQ in that sense, but that's another story.

The next gen Accord can have 300HP for all I care, because without strong low-end and mid-range torque (which we know it won't have, as it's a Honda, after all ), that extra 56HP is useless. I'd much rather see a torque increase than a HP increase. Then again, maybe they'll put that new Advanced VTEC to good use and increase both low-end torque and peak power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme
It'da been #1 running a 14.45s if they woulda put high test in it so it made the full 272bhp.
Ofcorse stock Camry v6's are faster than stock Accord v6's. Toyota & Nissan = wide powerband. Not something Honda has ever done on their v6's until relatively very rescently.
Come to think of it, C/D's Camry might've been running premium gas. That 14.3 second quarter-mile time is about .2-.3 seconds quicker than all of the other times I've seen for the car, and the 99 mph trap speed is 2-3 mph faster than the norm. Hmmm...
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #7
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Send a message via AIM to slowaccord
The SE v6's look really good. Imagine a nice set of silver wheels on it and a minor drop and it would look amazing
slowaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #8
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
wow im not gonna mod my car anymore.

theoretically speaking, if the camry is going to continue to be faster and faster, then in 6-8 years the new gen camry is gonna be as fast as 02av6's car
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #9
hella flush

Send a message via AIM to lilfotoman
new camrys are sweet
lilfotoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #10
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

I didn't even think to check dragtimes.com before but...

14.3 for a stock 2007 Camry SE V6 has been confirmed. An owner ran their new Camry at the track and recorded a [email protected]

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Camr...lip-10338.html

I wish I had a track nearby. I'd love to run my car
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #11
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH23
I didn't even think to check dragtimes.com before but...

14.3 for a stock 2007 Camry SE V6 has been confirmed. An owner ran their new Camry at the track and recorded a [email protected]

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Camr...lip-10338.html
The Camry has some bite! I didn't know it. Not bad at all.

But, the driver of the 14.3 Camry isn't bad either... From the myspace link in the link above
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #12
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k
The Camry has some bite! I didn't know it. Not bad at all.

But, the driver of the 14.3 Camry isn't bad either... From the myspace link in the link above
Haha, I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, the driver is kinda hot
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #13
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kleptodathief
do they have 07 camry coupe? those things do look nice, camry v6 trannies r way smoother then the accords!
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #14
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleptodathief
do they have 07 camry coupe?
http://www.toyota.com/camrysolara/in...RYSOLARA_INDEX
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
My Accord has way more power and speed than anyone needs on city streets. What is necessary for city driving and safe highway merging is strong low-end and mid-range torque, which my Accord lacks. No doubt about it. And by the looks of it, not even the blazing-fast V6 Camry has the ideal power balance for practical use. Its torque curve is awfully steep and doesn't peak until almost 5000 rpm. So, in that regard it isn't that much better than the current Accord V6. It just has more of the same. At least the VQ35DE has useful power, as it makes gobs of torque just off idle and all the way through the mid-range. So, it's arguably superior to the 2GR-FE for family sedan duty. The 2GR-FE is more fuel efficient, so it's more practical than the VQ in that sense, but that's another story.
I dunno about that. Most image hosting sites are blocked at work and I always forget to check when at home, but Toyota doesn't really build top-end beast engines in the same manner that Honda does. Despite what the curves say, Toyota will give you more than enough low-end. Our Highlander makes peak torque at 4400 rpm but you have nice solid mid-range which is nearly peak torque at only 3200 rpm. Anyways, I've never heard of anybody say that these 3.5L V6 engines lack low-end torque. Technically as a percentage of peak torque the J30A4/5 might not be a whole lot worse, but it's already lacking torque vs the 3.5's to begin with, so any falloff will be easily noticed, but not on the 3.5's.

Quote:
The next gen Accord can have 300HP for all I care, because without strong low-end and mid-range torque (which we know it won't have, as it's a Honda, after all ), that extra 56HP is useless. I'd much rather see a torque increase than a HP increase. Then again, maybe they'll put that new Advanced VTEC to good use and increase both low-end torque and peak power
Why'd you buy another Accord again? You should have known what Honda was about after your 6th gen, or are you just complaining for the sake of complaining?

Quote:
Come to think of it, C/D's Camry might've been running premium gas. That 14.3 second quarter-mile time is about .2-.3 seconds quicker than all of the other times I've seen for the car, and the 99 mph trap speed is 2-3 mph faster than the norm. Hmmm...
The times are real and so is the trap speed. They just use actual trap speed in the mags whereas you get an averaged trap at a real track. Real-world cars would probably do the 14.3, but at 96-97 mph and not 99 mph. I predicted this back in the day saying that you could very well see 100 mph traps from the Camry in magazines.

And that's more power than I would ever know what to do with on public roads.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

Old March 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #16
A turbo says

Send a message via ICQ to Toysrme Send a message via AIM to Toysrme Send a message via Yahoo to Toysrme
Cool

At a 2400rpm torque convertor stall the camry's 2gr-fe is making 220, of 248ft-lbs of torque. Meaning it makes 88% peak torque at 2400rpm. You're an idiot if you think that isn't alot of low end torque...
dual vvt-i simply keeps the cams from falling flat on their faces after 5000rpm, and deletes the need for any EGR system, and the potential problems from the associated carbon buildup.

Now go away................
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #17
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme
At a 2400rpm torque convertor stall the camry's 2gr-fe is making 220, of 248ft-lbs of torque. Meaning it makes 88% peak torque at 2400rpm. You're an idiot if you think that isn't alot of low end torque...
dual vvt-i simply keeps the cams from falling flat on their faces after 5000rpm, and deletes the need for any EGR system, and the potential problems from the associated carbon buildup.

88% of peak torque output at 2400 rpm is nothing to write home about. The J30A4 in the Accord 6-speed makes 95% of its peak torque at 2400 rpm, thanks to its variable resonance intake manifold. Even without the trick intake manifold, the J30A4 still makes 90% of its torque at that engine speed.

And of course 220 ft-lbs of torque at 2400 rpm is a lot compared to a naturally-aspirated 3.0 like the Accord's J30 that doesn't even peak at 220 ft-lbs. I wasn't comparing the amount of torque, I was comparing the percentage of peak torque available in the low-end.

So I stand by my statement that the 2GR-FE is a high-end biased powerplant that isn't any better than Honda's J30A4/5 V6 in terms of the percentage of peak torque available in the low-end and mid-range. Like I said, it's just more of the same. For a 3600 lb. family sedan that is designed to carry a full load of passengers and cargo on a regular basis, a flatter torque curve is ideal. Sure, 220 ft-lbs at 2400 rpm is a lot, but Toyota should've made more of that 248 ft-lb peak available in the low-end where it's more useful.
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Sure, 220 ft-lbs at 2400 rpm is a lot, but Toyota should've made more of that 248 ft-lb peak available in the low-end where it's more useful.
No, and the reason is vehicle dynamics.

220 lb-ft at the low-end is still way more than Honda's 3.0, and the Camry has much more aggressive gearing. There's more than enough thrust on tap to thoroughly annihilate the front tires without traction control. The only thing adding more low-end torque would do is nothing since the traction limit is already being exceeded. Might as well shift the powerband up higher since once you're rolling your traction limits are higher, and then you have even more torque to really haul with. An 02 Mustang GT makes about the same low-end as a percentage as the Camry engine, but so what? That's 250 lb-ft at the rear wheels.

GM takes the opposite approach on their performance FWD cars. They have 323 lb-ft of torque and still FWD, so to avoid grossly exceeding the traction limit they just gear it out. 1st gear goes out to 53 mph, and 2nd goes to like 95 mph I think. It doesn't give you much more peak thrust in a given gear than the Camry does, but since the power is geared out more it maintains that peak thrust for longer whereas the Toyota keeps on upshifting. That plus much bigger rubber = high-13's in the low 100 mph range vs low-14's in the upper 90's.

Honda needs way more aggressive gearing for only a 3.0. Toyota has way more power, and much more aggressive gearing. GM has more conservative gearing, but far more power than the Toyota. Honda has relatively wimpy gearing and has a deficit of power.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to 03coupe6speed
Ok can anyone give me the stock 0-100 on an 03 AV6 6speed and a stock 6speed rx8?
03coupe6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #20
BULLPOO

Send a message via AIM to SixSpeeder
www.google.com
SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #21
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coupe6speed
Ok can anyone give me the stock 0-100 on an 03 AV6 6speed and a stock 6speed rx8?
Source: Car & Driver

03 Coupe 6-speed 15.2 secs 0-100

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...pe-ex-v-6.html

04 RX-8 6-speed 16.0 secs 0-100 at 40K miles

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...x-8-page4.html
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to 03coupe6speed
thank you flyvtec even though my post was off topic!
03coupe6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #23
03 AV6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Honda needs way more aggressive gearing for only a 3.0. Toyota has way more power, and much more aggressive gearing. GM has more conservative gearing, but far more power than the Toyota. Honda has relatively wimpy gearing and has a deficit of power.
I have to disagree with you there. If the AV6 had more aggressive gearing then the driver would have to worry alot more about wheelspin. It would need a traction control system like the camrys to manage power and you can never turn the camrys off. I prefer the gearing of the accord. It doesn't need to be very short gearing to perform. if you compare 6sp camry v6's to a 6spd manual AV6 the Accord and camry perform very similar in 0-60 and 1/4 mile,trap speed. You know that the camry outpowers the accord by .5L, 24HP and more importantly 35 more TQ. Yes the AV6 weighs less but you think the x-tra power would make up for more than the difference. Toyota makes great powertains but Honda is not needing to make up for that much of a deficit.
hondav6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #24

If it had more aggressive gearing, these cars would be a couple tenths faster and generally high-14 capable stock. They'd also be a lot more responsive in real world driving scenarios such as powering out of a 2nd gear turn at 30 mph.
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #25
A turbo says

Cool

and i preffer having an engine with enough of a damned powerband to pull a man's car's gearset... torqueless honda wonder. if an av6 had enough damned power to do more than just bearly BARK a single wheel in an open differential on the automatic when you push the go-pedal they might be half-way on their way to speedy mid-sized vehicles...
unfortunately... they just don't.

probably why they get they more often than not get abit run away from by the handful of the M/T camry platform sold, or swapped. and basically every maxima (even the big heavy ones) ever created.

i mean really go bark your M/T wheelspin bull**** into someone's ass that think's it's impressive. my bone stock probably 65bhp civic can grab wheelspin at 60mph in third ****ing gear if i dump the clutch.
wheelspin on a manual transmission is NOT ****ING MEANINGFUL.

A/T Maxima = wheelspin
A/T Camry = wheelspin
A/T Accord = might get a tire to bark a noise...
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #26
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
Oh my God... stock heavy Camry can out quarter-mile me. Stupid wheelspin (gotta get those mounts and some sexy tires)!

Anyway, I like the fact that we're having a horsepower war, as well as a mileage war. Now people can go fast if they want to go fast, and those that are environmentally conscious and/or into frugality with gas prices getting crazier and crazier, can have their choice.

I think I'm going to hunt down a current Camry V6 and try to go Klepto on it to see how it fares from a highway roll.
Kuya Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #27

[QUOTE=Toysrme]

probably why they get they more often than not get abit run away from by the handful of the M/T camry platform sold, or swapped. and basically every maxima (even the big heavy ones) ever created.

What?????

Last edited by clborden; June 17th, 2007 at 08:09 PM..
clborden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuya Master
Oh my God... stock heavy Camry can out quarter-mile me. Stupid wheelspin (gotta get those mounts and some sexy tires)!

Anyway, I like the fact that we're having a horsepower war, as well as a mileage war. Now people can go fast if they want to go fast, and those that are environmentally conscious and/or into frugality with gas prices getting crazier and crazier, can have their choice.

I think I'm going to hunt down a current Camry V6 and try to go Klepto on it to see how it fares from a highway roll.
You,have no chance @all my friend.Save ur gas, its pretty expensive nowadays.

Last edited by reymcruz2003; July 9th, 2007 at 03:47 AM..
reymcruz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #29
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to whtonblkv6
Does the new Camry V6 have a LSD?
whtonblkv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #30
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by reymcruz2003
You,have no chance @all my friend.Save ur gas, its pretty expensive nowadays.
I didn't reply to this, because I missed the post since I was tripped out on Vicodin. But my AV6 was supercharged and stupid fast on the freeway from a roll. I would have r*ped a Camry at any distance after the quarter mile (as I said, stupid wheelspin at he beginning). But now she's dead, and I'm looking to get a gas guzzling V8 like 02AV6.
Kuya Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in