Tacoma - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #1
^_________^

Send a message via AIM to stevent
Tacoma

Sup fellas. My sister and her husband are planning to buy this Tacoma with roughly around 165k. But the thing is, is that the guy who is selling the pick up says that he hasnt changed the oil in 3 years because he says that he doesnt drive it all that often. Do you guys think it's safe to say that the engine is fine? Because in the back of my mind, I think there should be something wrong with that.
stevent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Get yourself a flashlight and take a peek inside the oil fill cap. If there's anything even closely resembling black oil on the valvetrain parts, then run far far away.
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #3
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

You're supposed to change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage if you don't drive a lot. Yeah, what James said. Also, is he the original owner? If that's how he treats the car chances are other things may have been neglected also.

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Your Mom is JDM

Send a message via AIM to A-cord
wow that's a really long time.. how much are they buying it for? i'd take it if it was around $1-2k
A-cord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to metallikatz3
thats really sketchy. make sure there isnt any water in the oil at that point
metallikatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #6
^_________^

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC-v6! View Post
Get yourself a flashlight and take a peek inside the oil fill cap. If there's anything even closely resembling black oil on the valvetrain parts, then run far far away.
Will do, thanks for the tip.
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #7
^_________^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
You're supposed to change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage if you don't drive a lot. Yeah, what James said. Also, is he the original owner? If that's how he treats the car chances are other things may have been neglected also.

I know. I told my sister and brother in law that the owner needs to change the oil regardless of how little or how much he drives. But this old geezer who helped my sister through some rough times in the past kept on reassuring them that the car is ok and it runs fine. But it looks like the transmission is on it's way out the door because it shifts hard and it takes way too long to get to third gear, when I took it for a test drive, it shifted into 3rd gear after hitting 70 mhp And yes, he is the original owner.

A-cord: The guy is selling is for 1.7k, and I don't want my sister or my brother in law to be buying a car only to have it break down and cost more to fix it then when they invested in it.

metallikatz3: I will look again on wednesday, thanks for the tip. And when I think about it, it is pretty sketchy since the owner was basically bragging that he hasn't changed the oil in 3 yrs.
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #8
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post
And yes, he is the original owner.
Wow, I'd seriously pass. Automatic? It's probably never even had a transmission flush either. $1.7k is nice, but you're easily looking at that much in repairs if not more. Money pit warning.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #9

at least he was honest lol
blackhawk411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #10
^_________^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Wow, I'd seriously pass. Automatic? It's probably never even had a transmission flush either. $1.7k is nice, but you're easily looking at that much in repairs if not more. Money pit warning.
That's what I'm worried about. Having to spend more on the car itself to get repaired then the price of the car. I doubt he did a transmission flushed too. And I believe he said he was a mechanic

blackhawk411: honest but he was too cocky when he said that. It was like he was proud of that or something, what a jackass.
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to starrsearch_ Send a message via MSN to starrsearch_
I would run like Forest Gump...from this car. Tacoma with automatic and 165k on the clock with oil not having been changed for 3 years straight its a death trap for repairs. I would stay away even if I did all the work on it...the engine is toast. It has 165k and he did not drive much? What kind of bs is that. Stay away from that car lol!
starrsearch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #12
^_________^

^ lol yeah, my sister and brother in law listened to me after all with the help of my dad and uncle haha.
They ended up getting a 2007 Tacoma for about 18k otd, which I think is pretty good. They didnt even let me know so that I could go with them to drop the price a little bit more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in