V6 MR2 swap - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #1
TURBO 3VZFE comming......

Send a message via AIM to Blackbob Send a message via MSN to Blackbob Send a message via Yahoo to Blackbob
Red face V6 MR2 swap

I haven't posted much on here so I figured I would post an update on the V6 MR2 swap I'm doing for anyone interested. I'm about a week or so out from first start up ( as of 09/SEP/07 ) ,but,here is what I go so far for parts,price,and so fourth.

Here is some info on my engine of choice:

3VZ-FE

The 3VZ-FE came to life when Toyota recognized that it needed a larger V6 engine to suit the then-upcoming 3rd generation Camry platform. Its basic design incorporates an updated version of the last revision of the 3VZ-E's block, mated with the Yamaha designed and built DOHC (24 valve) FE V6 heads, and Toyota's most advanced OBD-I control system. The upper aluminum intake manifold has is a split chamber intake manifold with Toyota's ACIS varriable intake system feeding three sets of runners for both heads.
Parts-wise, the 3VZ-FE shares very little with previous engines, including the 3VZ-E, and 2VZ-FE. The few parts shared with the 3VZ-E that are interchangeable are the main bearings; little else is the same. In a surprising twist, no electronics from other Toyota (Denso) parts are swappable.
It is a smooth running engine that was used as the 3.0 L V6 engine on the Camry platform between 1992 and 1997.5 depending on the market: North America saw the engine only in 1992 and 1993, while Australia and New Zealand had it from 1992 through 1996, and the engine was available in some parts of Asia, and in the JDM Toyota Windom through 1997.5.
The 1992-1993 engine has 185 hp (138 kW) at 5800 rpm and 189 ftlbf (256 Nm) at 4600 rpm. 1994+ have 200 hp (149 kW) at 5800 rpm and 204 ftlbf (277 Nm) at 4600 rpm. There is no mechanical difference in the engine. In an embarrassing move, Toyota inadvertently created an engine competing with the more performance oriented 7M-GE and 1JZ-GE installed in sportier, more luxurious cars of the time. Because of this, both stock ignition timing, and fuel tuning were set more conservatively than normal capping power output.
The power spread of the 3VZ-FE is wide, having 100% torque at just 2500 rpm - 4600 rpm, with power trailing off by 6000 rpm. Stock redline is 6850 rpm, and the ECU's fuel/ignition cut is over 7000 rpm. The valvetrain was designed for no float over the stock programmed operational range.
Though harder to find in good used condition in North America (unless imported), the 3VZ-FE is a fairly common V6 in most parts of the world, after having a good lifespan in popular models. They are cheap, simple, have few problems, and have become a semi-popular subject for engine swaps.
The 3VZ-FE also started Toyota's trend of severely overbuilding their production V6 engines. Having a larger forged steel crankshaft, and large cast rods, they are capable of more than doubling stock power output easily. With a few nitrous, and turbocharged examples matching, or exceeding 450 hp (336 kW) on both the stock engine, and stock engine management with a piggyback/interceptor controlling fuel/ignition.

My somewhat write-up:
04-22-2007, 12:52 PM

For those of you who where not fortunate enough to obtain a true SW20 platform and ended up with a SW21 (the non-t) this is the thread for you. I will post all the info I have found over the net and being sure to post credit where it is due. Long term goal: 3VZFTE (turbo 3.0 ltr V6),Short term goal: 3VZFE that works with litte to no querks. Where am I in my own personal build ? Well I have ordered custom 3VZFE P-side mounts for the SW20/21 chassie from a guy named Node on the MR2BOARD.com. His price is 50.00 plus shipping. He also offers a custom welded plate for the P-side axle without getting the carrier bearing on the axle modified (still the best suggested route). I have found my motor at a near by J/Y for a reasonable price including wiring harness. I'll post pics as soon as I get some and start to pull the motor here in another month or so. As I am still waiting on parts to show up in the mail.

05-16-2007, 01:26 PM

I had some issues with the mounts (shipping) but I found another supplier he's a little bit more expensive but he gurantees his for TOP NOTCH product and they are pressure testing up to 2K psi. After all,you get what you pay for,right ?

PIC of my mount:

(note) not my engine,just a picture of the mount I bought and how it will go on the engine I have. I got the mount from sea2sky tunning on the MR2.com Mr2 boards. You can PM Weasy2K on those boards or PM me for more info.

05-18-2007, 03:22 PM

UPDATE:

Picked up the engine wiring harness today at Luhans ($100.00) no ECU though it was not in the car. No biggy I'll source one (most likely at the same J/Y) shouldn't be more then $50-$75.00. So as of today I have bought/ordered:
-1 3VZFE custom P-side mount ( $155.00 )
-1 1MZVFE flywheel for use with the 5SFE transmission ( $87.00 NEW )
-1 3VZFE wire harness complete and incut including fuse box( $100.00 used )
-Walboro 255 fuel pump and harness kit ( $90.00 )
Total so far: $432.00

What's left:
- 1 Fuel pressure regulator
- The actual conversion of the two harnesses (5S and 3VZ)
- Fuel line to re-route in MR2
- random coolant piping and metal pipe for return coolent line
- front engine mount (current one is REALLY bad)
- 3VZFE ECU
- '92-'94 3VZFE engine itself (if I don't use the one in the lexus)
- Installation and key turning

Estimated cost to finish roughly 1k-1.5k

General assement: looking good so far can't wait to finish it.

05-31-2007, 06:04 PM

UPDATE:

FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my flywheel in today part of the delay is because it transitioned from UPS to USPS. So I can understand the package was on hold for a day or two inspected, then RE-packaged.

I also scored a 5SFE engine AND body harness (extra) so I can do the harness conversion OUT of the car and thus cut-down my down time by doing the COMPLETE wiring outside the car. So now I'm still waiting for the special mount that wont be shipped till tommorow or saturday sometime. Then it's waiting for it's arrival and the newly scored harness package.

So running total so far:
$432.00
+
Additional harness - $ 70.00
Flywheel bolts - $ 9.89
Clutch bolts and smaller dowl pins - $ 7.99

=
$ 519.88

What's left

- 3VZFE
- ECU
- Misc hoses and clamps
- misc wiring pieces (butt ends and shrink wrap
- something I know I will forget

Keep posted I'll keep posting pics and totals for those thinking of doing this swap. I will always clue you in on all the odd and end pieces too and eventually turn this into a V6 swap how-to FAQ.

UPDATE:

06-02-2007, 01:20 PM

What I got today
- ECU $75.00
- "D" connector $ freebie

Total:
$ 519.88
+
$75.00

= $594.88

What's left:

-3VZFE
-misc hoese and clamps
-misc wiring parts

UPDATE:
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Just got the flywheel bolts (crank to flywheel bolts) today along with my Greddy piller pod...for..a guage... Mount is (as of today from what I was told) in route to me right now finally like three months later..ROLFMAO. Hmm..and I found a extra 5SFE hanress and body harness I got for cheap too.

Total: $594.88
+
$70.00 - 5SFE extra engine and body harness
$30.00 - Greddy Piller pod
$25.00 - used turbo pressure plate and clutch disk

= $719.88

It's nearing the end and I'm still WAYYYY under budget compared to what I would have paid for a 3SGTE swap. The thing to keep in mind for those of you interested in this swap. Is that I am doing this swap 100% myself with the exception of a few things (IE: the mount). It's not in anyway expensive it's just a matter of a lot of small things you need to take into accound to make it possible. If you have ANY questions PM me or post up.

UPDATE:
06-20-2007, 04:19 PM

What arrived in the past few days ?

- Turbo PP for 3VZFE/1MZFE/5VZFE flywheel
- 5SFE engine and body harness

Still waiting for....

- 3VZFE mount that should be here when I get back.

UPDATE:
06-21-2007, 12:16 AM

Ok,so in a few hours I got the starter relay,4 out of the 7 D (4th) connector plugs and noted the three I needed to find/confirm. Two of the Amp wires along with a few others. My cheapo deapo multimeter stopped working so I ended up making a VERY crude device which just tells me when I completed a circuit. In otherwords when I have found the end of a tab which is the only thing you're gonna use a multimeter for in this anyway. . I can say having a extra complete harness with fuse box makes the intire process ALOT easier to say they least. Exspecially if you have only one car and it's the same one you're doing the swap on like myself. Anywho,I have another two or three days of wiring to do it looks like but I know I'll run into some snags here and there (like right now). I'll have alot more questions tommorow and pics but I'm just too tired right now,anywho here are some pics I took.

UPDATE:
08-04-2007, 09:11 AM

I'm now an official member of the V6 engine stand club - Guam chapter !!!

And running total to date

$719.88

+

$450.00 not one but TWO 3vzfe engines

= $1169.88

This is HANDS DOWN cheaper then any N/A to turbo swap would have been not to mention the long term advantages. So what now ?,well a little refreshing here and there on the motor,replace some essential ignition pieces,and some stuff. I should be up and running anytime now once time allows me to do so.

UPDATE:
08-06-2007, 07:31 AM

Some pics from yesterdays fun....

This is the step I stopped at about two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for gaskets,bearings,and I'm about to go buy rings too. I'm stationed in Guam so that is mainly the reason why this is taking so long. If you have anyquestions send me a PM or e-mail me. You can also check out the V6 section on MR2.com MR2 boards.
Blackbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Blackbob Send a message via MSN to Blackbob Send a message via Yahoo to Blackbob
UPDATE:

As of 9:20 tonight the old motor and trans is out and on the ground. new head bolts and front/rear main seals are in route. Should be an interesting next two-three weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
91'MR2 V6 swap

SHIFT_ideas
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Doc
J35S004

Very cool BB. Appreciating the
thorough documentation too.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 6th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to -MiltDoggie-
Very nice, keep us updated....

Any future mods as far as the TRD sc for the 1MZ? I know that guy Paul Woods made it work, because that would be even more awesomeness on your part!!

Good Luck
-MiltDoggie- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #5

I do plan on boosting but it will be with a Turbo.

91'MR2 V6 swap

SHIFT_ideas
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #6

UPDATE:

Ok,

Well not really an update but some pics from todays fun and what was done the day before.

All the parts for the build once the V6 goes into the car.

This is pretty much the way we left it last night,once the motor was out there was no need to pull an all nighter.

My girl helping out

up she goes

finally out !

Talk about weight reduction !!!!

My girl pulling the tranny bolts out (yeah she turns wrenchs too)

Motor free and ready to throw away !!!

Done and done.....So now what ?

now we wait.......

Stay tuned you never know what might be next...

91'MR2 V6 swap

SHIFT_ideas

Last edited by Blackbob; June 4th, 2010 at 10:54 PM..
Old October 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #7

more shots of the girl please
homegaragespl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #8

^ That's lame.

As far as your swap, looks like a nice job that you did swapping it in. The 3VZ-FE is a great engine with gobs of torque. Keep us updated.
94CoupeV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Doc
J35S004

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegaragespl View Post
more shots of the girl please
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #10

UPDATE:10-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Well I don't have any pictures but the heads and cams went in last night.

As of now I have accessories,pulleys,timming belts,etc,etc left along with the intake manifold and all it's pieces. The next time I post pics will more then likley be when the motor in bolted up in the car.

10-14-2007, 06:36 AM
New pics from the other day,hope you guys like the updates. Can't wait to drive the car when it's done.

11-14-2007, 08:45 AM

I got the motor in tonight and I took some quick pics. I'll add more info as it is requested

Yesterday, 09:35 AM
MORE PICS:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
lady friend ( yes just a friend )

UPDATE: 11/24/07

Day by day at this point. What's left:
-coolent,fuel,front motor mount ( in the mail ),harness,bleed brakes

UPDATE: 11/30/07

Brakes are back and coolent lines are more or less done. I have fuel pump,lines,and vacumm stuff left. Motor mount is pretty simple and can wait till it arrives till the car can be driven. The stock Y-pipe off the camry bolted directly on the car with NO modification. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

UPDATE: 12/01/07

Few days late but fuel pump is back in and just waiting to do vacumm and electrical stuff. Wiating on the front mount or I'm

91'MR2 V6 swap

SHIFT_ideas

Last edited by Blackbob; June 4th, 2010 at 10:55 PM..
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #11

12/10/07

Starting to finish the final stages of wiring. Harness is in the car and starting to solder everything up.

91'MR2 V6 swap

SHIFT_ideas
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #12

This pic is actually a few days old,but,it's a pic of me fitting the stock camry Y-pipe to the MR2. turns out it goes on pretty nicely with little to no effort.

UPDATE: Today - 11 DEC 07

Took these tonight this is from the wiring nightmare aftermath in all honesty looks pretty intimidating but in all reality isn't that bad. Once you chill and use some common sense it's all a matter or "ground","power","ground then power" ( relay ). Needles to say it's all comming along relativly smoothy I don't know when it'll be running running...but I'm taking my time at this point.

Last edited by Blackbob; June 4th, 2010 at 10:56 PM..
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #13

I like to see stuff like this keep up the good work.
CyN13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Legendaryyaj
TRD supercharger???
Legendaryyaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #15
Semi Professional Pimp

This will be a nice setup when you're done.. Nothing like high power midship RWD, and light at that! Good work..
OsoiCT9A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to hightower6969
Blackbob, keep working on the mr2, it's gonna be nice. My bro already has sw20 in his mr2 with turbo. He's also on the mr2boards under hybridsw20. Good luck with everything.
hightower6969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #17

good luck
bluesolara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #18

thats gonna be sick
longhorns1489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns1489 View Post
thats gonna be sick
Agreed
natzimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to TheKevin
whats the word on this project?
TheKevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
So were making the already heavy MR2 even heavier

Damn would have just done an LS V8 swap in either this MR2 or a Fiero.

Cool thread none the less, reminds me of the V6 tC.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #22
4.0L

My uncle was going to give me his MR2 turbo when I was 16, but he ended up getting married. I've loved this car since I was a kid. The swap looks sick...definitely need to boost it now!

There was a guy who had 2 boosted V6 MR2s...one was blue and one was yellow. I don't know if you've seen those.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #23

any updates?
pawel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #24
Sail on Soothsayer

nice progress, I would love to see the finished product.
VindiCated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #25
Duplicate Account

yeah man post pics once all is said and done
550whpAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to tavarish
i love junkyard builds!!!!
tavarish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #27
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
View Profile: Blackbob
Last Activity: December 11th, 2007 04:49 AM

Why even bring this thread back to life????
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #28
-Maninder

I just now found out about this thread...

So nobody knows how to contact him for updates?
1fastJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Raymond
Damn first time I've seen this thread. I haven't been on MR2OC in forever. Used to drive an '88 n/a many years back. I wish I could have that car and do a swap like this on it. Such a fun ride.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #30

I wonder if it's done!?
3.56thgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in