Road Test: 2000 S430, '03 LS430, '03 GS430 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > OTHER V6 AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION > TOYOTA and LEXUS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Road Test: 2000 S430, '03 LS430, '03 GS430

Here are my thoughts and opinions based on my extensive road test of all three vehicles Tuesday evening.

This article will be divided into 3 parts, one for each car, so please be patient and not comment until I post the last part.

Just FYI. I own the 2000 Mercedes-Benz S430 so I do have a lot of time in it. It is used as the benchmark vehicle in my test.

I'm not gonna get too hung up over all the options. All of you are web savy so you can look them up yourselves. I'll just be discussing my subjective views here.

2000 Mercedes Benz S430
---------------------------------

Size: It's big. It's wide and It's long. the 2000+ models had a complete change to a new body style, W220 so everything is new.

The car feels and drives like a big car. However, it does come with 3 suspension settings. I usually keep it on Level 1, the softest, when driving through DC streets. Then I switch to Level 2 when I have to take corners. You might think I'm crazy, but at times, Level 3, makes me feel like I were driving my Accord...only this car is about a ton heavier. You may think I'm crazy, but this car CAN be fun to drive. Just keep in mind the size of the car. At times it feels like a boat, but at the medium setting, the steering is crisp, the controllibility of the car is very precise, with little floatiness.

It comes STANDARD with Dual-circuit, cross-drilled, internally ventilated, power-assisted 4-wheel disc. Brembo 4-piston fixed front and dual-piston sliding rear calipers. Nuff said. This thing stops on a dime.

The interior is amazing. Quality materials all around. The stock leather is good, but the optional one is even more supple. The rear leg room is the best in its class. Plenty of room to stretch out. One option is a rear seat tray that installs to the rear of the driver/passenger seats, just like an airplane! The fuzz on parts of the pillars could be improved upon. They should have kept it all leather.

One thing about this car is the feeling of driving a solidly built car. This thing feels likes a tank but can drive like a HEAVY sports car if pushed. The 16" wheels are too small, at least 17-18" should have been standard. But MB wants you to pay extra $$$$ for that option, go figure.

to be continued.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2003, 09:30 PM   #2

2003 Lexus GS 430

2003 Lexus GS 430

This was a fun car to drive. It's suspension is pretty tight and it goes around curves with little lean. The drawback of this car is that you will feel every bump, pebble and crack in the road. I guess Lexus advertises it as a sports sedan so hence the sporty suspension. My test car had the optional 17" wheels which could explain some of the ride harshness.

The interior is very nice. I love the leather. It has the full gamut of Lexus/Toyota technology. The Mark Levinson package is supposed to be awesome, but personally, I wasn't very impressed. I don't think its worth the $1250. The Navigation option is $2000 and you can get both for $3250.

My subjective feeling with this car is that it feels light. Maybe I've been spoiled with driving my S430, but the GS430 just seemed light. Another beef is the rear seats. The rear seats are cramped and I think for the money, Lexus should have made more effort in increasing the rear legroom. We shouldn't have to go up to the flagship LS430 to get decent legroom. I had the feeling that even the Camry had more legroom.

Dizzy
Old August 20th, 2003, 09:30 PM   #3

2003 Lexus LS 430

2003 Lexus LS 430

This is the mack daddy of the Lexus family. With the ultra luxury package, your passengers are treated to a massage reclining rear seatback with heated seats. They also get spoiled with their own climate controls and wireless headphones for their own music.

On the road, sound insulation was much better than the GS430. The ride is also very soft. Almost like driving a big boat. I didnt' get a chance to test out the adaptive variable suspension that has Normal and Sport modes. I left it in stock mode to see how it feels. Normal is very soft and cushiony. I personally felt it seem a bit too light. Once again a different feeling with than the Mercedes. Even with road noise muted, the car just didn't seem as solid as MB.

The car has every gadget known to mankind. The only thing missing was a portable bathroom.

The exterior is just plain bland. Yes, it looks luxurious, but its missing something.

Dizzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in