I need DLSR Advice - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to starrsearch_ Send a message via MSN to starrsearch_
I need DLSR Advice

Well Hello V6P! I haven't posted on here with ages being busy with work and school. I am looking to purchase a DSLR camera within in a few weeks. I really have my heart set on the Nikon D40 10.2 mp.

Any suggestions where to get it from, and the right price to expect from a good retailer? I am weary of ebay. I know there is search but I want to hear some responses and suggestions. Since this will be my first DSLR camera!
starrsearch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #2

amazon has great deals on kits or Costco
surreal612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Destroyer of Tires

The D40 is a 6 megapixel, the D40X is 10. If I were you I would look for a used D50 instead of getting the D40/D40X. The D40/D40X does not have the AF screw to autofocus many of Nikon's lenses. This means that most of the lenses that you may want to buy will be manual focus simply because the D40/D40X does not have the AF screw. Other than that the D40 is a great camera.

I'd stay clear from eBay as far as a camera body or any kit you see unless it's a private seller. Gray market stuff is shady. If you're going to buy camera stuff you should shop at BH, Buydig, Adorama, or Amazon. They will probably give you the best prices as far as a body or lens kit goes. If you want some good deals on memory cards (assuming you don't get one first time round) check out Circuit City. There are some good deals on memory from week to week. I'd opt for Extreme III or Ultra II memory from Sandisk. It's fast and it's relatively inexpensive.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
D40 isn't worth your money, because like Doctor X said, it's not compatible with a lot of lenses.
Kuya Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #5
ex scientia vera

I got the D40 from Amazon for $529 shipped and am VERY happy with it. There are a lot of lenses compatible with it. And being that it's your first, you'll have a LOT to work with and learn with. I'm in my sixth month or so of using it and still haven't been limited by any of its supposed shortcomings. Don't bother with the 10.2MP D40x. You're buying performance that you don't need. Go with the cheaper D40, or bump up to the D80. D80's are going pretty cheap with the recent release of Nikon's new high end gear.
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #6
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I'd skip the D40x and go with the cheaper D40 and put the difference into some nicer lenses, OR spend a little more and get the D80 which is a far more capable body with full support for all of Nikon's AF lenses.

Benefits of the D40 over the D40x

- About $200 cheaper
- Better high ISO performance by about a half stop
- 1/500s flash sync vs only 1/200s on the D40x (can make a huge difference for daytime people shots)
- smaller files eating up less disk space
- will work with cheaper lenses better

The only benefits of the 10MP sensor in my own shooting has been that if you heavily crop an image, you still have a fair amount of resolution left over to make a decent sized print with. Cropping 50% of a 10MP image still leaves 5MP which is plenty big enough to do a 3 foot wide print with. Cropping 50% of a 6MP image is only 3MP. With normal sized prints that's still fine, but wouldn't be the best for large prints. I've made 20x30" prints from my 6MP D40 which I had to upsample a bit, and they've looked great. The 10MP sensor also is starting to outstrip a lot of the cheaper lenses' ability to resolve. I've noticed that the 18-55 kit lens seems to give sharper results and looks better when used on my 6MP D40 than on my 10MP D80. So to make the most of the 10MP sensor, you'd need to get some more expensive glass. Of course 90% of photography is the person behind the camera, and only about 10% is the gear, so take that for what it's worth.

If you want to play around with large aperture prime lenses like the 50mm f/1.8, yeah the D40 isn't the best choice since it'll only autofocus with AF-S lenses, and most of Nikons normal and short tele primes are just regular AF and not AF-S. In that case, I'd look for either a used D50 or a D70/s, but you can still manually focus them on the D40.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuya Master View Post
D40 isn't worth your money, because like Doctor X said, it's not compatible with a lot of lenses.
that only matters if they were thinking of trying out a lot of different lenses. Most people don't care and just want something that'll make better photos than their crappy point and shoots.
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=432289

In case you're interested.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #9
4.0L

^^ dang, that guy is selling his 50mm f/1.8 cheaper than I bought mine for...
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
Ken Rockwell seems to love the D40. So much that I'm thinking of getting one for myself after I get Jenny into the "12s all day" range.
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #11

I love mine, and I bought it after my D80. It's so compact and lightweight that it's a perfect match for using smaller prime lenses. I think I'm going to order a Katz Eye focusing screen for mine after I get back from vacation next month, which will make the required manual focusing a lot easier.

Here's mine with the 85mm f/1.8, LOL

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #12
Destroyer of Tires

"That's a HUUUUUUUUUUGE b!tch!"

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #13

It's more like the D40 is just tiny, heh heh.
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #14
4.0L

haha...that's completely opposite of how my D80 looks with my 24mm prime on there.
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #15
im obsessed with intakes.

Send a message via AIM to 02prodigy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I'd skip the D40x and go with the cheaper D40 and put the difference into some nicer lenses, OR spend a little more and get the D80 which is a far more capable body with full support for all of Nikon's AF lenses.

Benefits of the D40 over the D40x

- About $200 cheaper
- Better high ISO performance by about a half stop
- 1/500s flash sync vs only 1/200s on the D40x (can make a huge difference for daytime people shots)
- smaller files eating up less disk space
- will work with cheaper lenses better

The only benefits of the 10MP sensor in my own shooting has been that if you heavily crop an image, you still have a fair amount of resolution left over to make a decent sized print with. Cropping 50% of a 10MP image still leaves 5MP which is plenty big enough to do a 3 foot wide print with. Cropping 50% of a 6MP image is only 3MP. With normal sized prints that's still fine, but wouldn't be the best for large prints. I've made 20x30" prints from my 6MP D40 which I had to upsample a bit, and they've looked great. The 10MP sensor also is starting to outstrip a lot of the cheaper lenses' ability to resolve. I've noticed that the 18-55 kit lens seems to give sharper results and looks better when used on my 6MP D40 than on my 10MP D80. So to make the most of the 10MP sensor, you'd need to get some more expensive glass. Of course 90% of photography is the person behind the camera, and only about 10% is the gear, so take that for what it's worth.

If you want to play around with large aperture prime lenses like the 50mm f/1.8, yeah the D40 isn't the best choice since it'll only autofocus with AF-S lenses, and most of Nikons normal and short tele primes are just regular AF and not AF-S. In that case, I'd look for either a used D50 or a D70/s, but you can still manually focus them on the D40.
pretty much what steve said, don't chase megapixels..
02prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I love mine, and I bought it after my D80. It's so compact and lightweight that it's a perfect match for using smaller prime lenses. I think I'm going to order a Katz Eye focusing screen for mine after I get back from vacation next month, which will make the required manual focusing a lot easier.

Here's mine with the 85mm f/1.8, LOL

how does the Katz Eye focusing screen works? Interested on this.
surreal612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #17

It's easier to just go try an old manual focus film body at a local used camera store than it is to explain. Basically there's a little section in the middle of the viewfinder that makes it easy to see your focus point and the details, which is why manually focusing was no big deal back in the day. After autofocus caught on, they eliminated this and just made the plain focusing screens of today as a cost reduction and to make them simpler. But modern focusing screens don't show any difference at larger than f/2.8 which makes focusing a lot harder with primes, hence buying an aftermarket "old style" focusing screen with a split prism design.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #18

www.abesofmaine.com usually has good deals.
NY Style is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM   #19
kcp
Photo Boy

i'm all late.. sorry just looking through and came across this one...

anyways..... >_<

get used d50 unless can find a new one.

u wont be disappointed.
kcp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
i would just go with the D80 or check out the D60. i have a D50 and love it looking into a D80 myself. also check out cameta camera they sell on ebay and i went to there store in ny great people to deal with. check out dpreview.com and read there forums for more advice. but doctor x and steve know what they are talking about. Doc has a D300.
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM   #21
Formerly VTEC-v6!

I've got a D50 and love it, but more importantly, I love prime lenses. My 50mm f/1.8 is practically glued to my D50 and I'd be mad if I couldn't use any of them. Search for a used D50 or D70s if you want to play with primes. Otherwise, you'll love the D40. A friend of mine has one and its sweet, it has the same sensor and electronic shutter as the D50 so it will operate spec-wise the same. The D40 has a sweet screen though, makes my D50's look like a 1940's TV.
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #22

I guess I am toying with idea of buying my first DSLR. Based on the posts above, I should get a used Nikon D50 right? Which lens should I opt for then?
arkmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #23
Mirage Representative

If you can't get the D50 for $400 or below, I suggest getting something else. But I wouldn't suggest a D40/D40x/D60, because I'm really hurting on lens selection since they need AF-S in order to auto-focus. The operating system and ease of use rules though. I don't like taking pictures with my lady's D50 anymore, because the D40 is so much more convenient... so as long as I have a lens that works on it.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #24
The name is Scott. D:

Send a message via AIM to Whumbachumba Send a message via MSN to Whumbachumba Send a message via Yahoo to Whumbachumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmann View Post
I guess I am toying with idea of buying my first DSLR. Based on the posts above, I should get a used Nikon D50 right? Which lens should I opt for then?
Unless you know what you are wanting in a camera, don't limit yourself to looking at just one model. Make sure you check out Canon, Olympus and Sony. The camera can only do so much of the work though, the rest is the photographer, so keep that in consideration.
Whumbachumba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whumbachumba
Unless you know what you are wanting in a camera, don't limit yourself to looking at just one model. Make sure you check out Canon, Olympus and Sony. The camera can only do so much of the work though, the rest is the photographer, so keep that in consideration.
Based on my readings on this forum and others, a USED D50 will be a good starter camera considering that I'm still not sure which direction in photography I want to go in. That and my skills or non-skills at a DSLR for now...

Another thing is the lens compatibility that KuyaMaster mentioned. Being a noob at DSLR, I want to have as little headache as possible during the learning period especially with the lens selection. Its not that I'm limiting myself to a specific camera, its just that funds are limited, so is my ability, knowledge, and know how.

I've also held on to Canons and Olympus and according to my feel and budget, a used D50 is the way to go.

Its either that or a brand new Macbook Pro 2.4ghz for $1600. School discount of course.
arkmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #26
4.0L

^^ you should look into the Sony Alpha line. Sony just busted out a whole mess of them with different feature sets. There are some models that only vary slightly because they changed feature sets based on what consumers wanted. Also, since Sony's dSLR department is basically Minolta...you can use all the older-than-dirt lenses that Minolta made. Then there are Carl Zeiss lenses that rock the house if you have the money. Also, there's onboard image stabilization...so you don't have to shell out a premium for VR lenses.

My roommate's got one...that's why I'm suggesting. Personally I have a Nikon D80...I used to have the D50 but sold it a while back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in