Around the house & around Austin... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #1
4.0L

Around the house & around Austin...

Around downtown (Guadalupe St., Austin, TX): I wanted to see what I could do with just my 50mm f/1.8. I was just getting over the flu, so there were some pictures I didn't feel like re-taking if they turned out bad.

1/250" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/500" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/125" ISO640 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/400" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/250" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Around the house:

...playing Rock Band...

1/60" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/60" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/60" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

...having drinks...

1/60" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/60" ISO320 f/1.8
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

...the gf with my roommate's dog...
(these were actually shot with my 24mm f/3

1/60" ISO300 f/3
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/60" ISO180 f/3
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/60" ISO280 f/3
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

1/60" ISO280 f/3
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

I've been trying to work on capturing more "action" in my portrait photos, so lemme know how I'm doing. I'd really like some critiques and tips...and if the big shot photographers (you guys know who you are) want to chime in, I'd really appreciate any helpful words.

Thanks,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VietNinjaJ30A1
2000 Honda Accord V6 Supercharged
Official Slammed Club Member #36 (Stage 1)

Last edited by VietNinjaJ30A1; March 10th, 2008 at 12:10 PM..
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
FAILLLLLLLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1 View Post

donno why i like this one. lol..
whiteV6penguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM   #3
kcp
Photo Boy

nice photos.
kcp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM   #4
4.0L

^^ thanks
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM   #5
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

These are all great! Very nice. And this is what I love about primes. The fixed focal length forces you to explore other angles and perspectives to shoot things, and the result is more interesting photography. That and the selective focus capabilities of the large apertures. The image quality is top-notch on the 1.8/50 too. Zooms make you lazy and require a lot more discipline to shoot well, and only the pro ones can match the IQ of that little prime.

My favorites were that building mural thing or whatever it was (#3), and then the closeup of the drink and your gf with the dog.

I'm getting over the flu too - my daughter gave it to me. Again.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:53 PM   #6
4.0L

oh man, i hope you feel better. mine got so bad i felt like i was going to die.

thanks for the kind words about the photos...haha. yea i love my 50mm f/1.8. i really like using it as a walk around because it's quick, sharp and it forces me to look at things a little differently. lots of fun. i think my next lens is going to be a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro. then i wanna try to get rid of my 18-135mm kit lens and 55-200mm VR and replace them with an 18-200mm VR. i also have an 18-55mm to get rid of.
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Destroyer of Tires

I love the colors man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What is

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #8

gotta love the 50mm f1.8 =D Noo don't get the 18-200mm vr! I'm sure you've read countless talks about how it lacks sharpness at long ranges? I mean if you like taking a lot of landscape portraits then go for it, but if you're getting it for model photography or close ups, then go with something else. I'm looking towards the 80-200 AF-D f2.8 right now. It's about the same price range as the 18-200mm vr.
UnIQuEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
pics look great! what ISO did you shoot at? love the 50mm 1.8 never leave home without it. D80 is sharp
chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
Jesus... your stuff is gorgeous. My favorite one is the "architectural" picture. It's got really good parody humor in it. Maybe I should've gotten something better than a D40 so I can use non AF-S lenses like you. Anyway, you said you were going to try to get rid of the 55-200 VR? Do you have an 18-?? VR lens as well you're looking to sell? I ask, because there's a package deal on Amazon of the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR with a bag and other basic camera care goodies for about $400, but if I can get them cheaper used (but still in good condition, of course) from someone I somewhat know is trustworthy (not to mention keep the money within this community that's helped me so much), I'd rather do that.
Kuya Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #11
4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
I love the colors man.
Thanks...I picked up a D300 in Circuit City the other day...thought to myself: "Need. Not want. NEED." haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnIQuEX View Post
gotta love the 50mm f1.8 =D Noo don't get the 18-200mm vr! I'm sure you've read countless talks about how it lacks sharpness at long ranges? I mean if you like taking a lot of landscape portraits then go for it, but if you're getting it for model photography or close ups, then go with something else. I'm looking towards the 80-200 AF-D f2.8 right now. It's about the same price range as the 18-200mm vr.
Well right now I have an 18-135mm and a 55-200mm VR to make up my 18-200mm range, but I want it all in a single lens (walk around) and with VR. I'll have to check it out in the store and see for myself. It might be worth it to me to trade a little sharpness for buttloads of convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy View Post
pics look great! what ISO did you shoot at? love the 50mm 1.8 never leave home without it. D80 is sharp
I'm not sure...I'll go back and post the ISO speeds for each picture in a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuya Master View Post
Jesus... your stuff is gorgeous. My favorite one is the "architectural" picture. It's got really good parody humor in it. Maybe I should've gotten something better than a D40 so I can use non AF-S lenses like you. Anyway, you said you were going to try to get rid of the 55-200 VR? Do you have an 18-?? VR lens as well you're looking to sell? I ask, because there's a package deal on Amazon of the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR with a bag and other basic camera care goodies for about $400, but if I can get them cheaper used (but still in good condition, of course) from someone I somewhat know is trustworthy (not to mention keep the money within this community that's helped me so much), I'd rather do that.
Thanks, man. I just took a look at your latest post and your portrait shots are getting better, fast. Seems like you're developing your own "eye" pretty quickly...it took me a while and I still don't really have it.

I have a Nikkor 18-55mm but it's not VR and then of course the 55-200mm which is VR. If you wanted those two, I'd let them both go for $300 shipped. The 18-55mm is pretty much brand new since it was the kit lens with my D80, and then I just had the 55-200mm cleaned by Ritz. I think I've taken like 10 pictures with that lens since then.
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #12
6MTUA5

Send a message via AIM to 99MBPTL
Nice work. I need to get a DSLR one of these days and start taking some real shots.
99MBPTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #13
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Thanks...I picked up a D300 in Circuit City the other day...thought to myself: "Need. Not want. NEED." haha
Damn they had one there on display?! My Circuit needs to step up their game. Not that I really care since I already have one but that's pretty impressive.

If you love low noise and ridiculous colors straight from the camera then you're heading in the right direction...

Plus it's weather sealed, 6 fps, has a metal chassis, and is just balla.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Well right now I have an 18-135mm and a 55-200mm VR to make up my 18-200mm range, but I want it all in a single lens (walk around) and with VR. I'll have to check it out in the store and see for myself. It might be worth it to me to trade a little sharpness for buttloads of convenience.
That's true, it is very convenient for it's size and versatility. Holy crap man, you got a D300?? so what are you going to do with the D80?
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #15
4.0L

haha...i wish! i meant, i LITERALLY picked it up...and then cried when i put it back down..hah
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #16
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Great photos, +1 to Steve's comment. I find that shooting with my 50/1.8 I also force myself to be more creative and the result is almost always more interesting.
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #17

Quote:
haha...i wish! i meant, i LITERALLY picked it up...and then cried when i put it back down..hah
Haha, I see. For me, I think it's better to invest in some expensive glass right now rather then an expensive body because I think the d80 is more than enough camera for me, that and lenses hold their value much better, although it still doesn't stop me from lusting for a D300 or a D3 . I think after i'm satisfied with my collection of glass, then will I think about upgrading to a new body.
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #18
4.0L

i'm not limited by the D80 at all...i do want the low noise quality from the D300 though. i won't be upgrading anytime soon...the only thing on my mind right now is comptech SC =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in