Nikon D90 or D300? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1

Nikon D90 or D300?

I'm selling my D80.

Im looking to buy the D90 or the D300. Which one would you get?
I need your help guys!Thanks!

Last edited by AccordWhite00; November 30th, 2008 at 09:50 PM..
AccordWhite00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

If you're doing professional level work somewhat regularly and getting paid for it then go with the D300. Otherwise go with the D90 and put the difference towards a nice lens or two. The biggest advantage of the D300 is that it has a lot more direct access controls and buttons so that you can change things up quickly which is critical if you're shooting professionally and can't miss shots. With the D90 (and D80) more stuff is buried in menus and you can get bogged down for longer if you need to change a lot of settings and end up missing shots. That won't happen nearly as much with the D300.

I'd skip both and keep buying lenses.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #3

Lol so Keep my D80 and get better lenses?

Sounds alot cheaper tooo haha

Old November 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #4
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
If you're doing professional level work somewhat regularly and getting paid for it then go with the D300. Otherwise go with the D90 and put the difference towards a nice lens or two. The biggest advantage of the D300 is that it has a lot more direct access controls and buttons so that you can change things up quickly which is critical if you're shooting professionally and can't miss shots. With the D90 (and D80) more stuff is buried in menus and you can get bogged down for longer if you need to change a lot of settings and end up missing shots. That won't happen nearly as much with the D300.

I'd skip both and keep buying lenses.
Don't forget the weather seals...

It's actually pretty cool having the camera weather sealed. On Tuesday I was at a car meet in West Covina and it started raining... Needless to say... Everyone with their D40s and XTis were fleeing for cover while I laughed and remained taking photos with my D300. I've tested the camera in rain and it still performs as it would in the dry.

The D90 has actually proven better in high ISO than the D300 though, which is interesting. I can say that the camera still will perform better than your D80 in high ISO though so you will be happy with either. If you want the camera to be built a little better and you want the ability to access menu features via buttons, the D300 is for you. Magnesium alloy frame with weather seals and buttons for specific functions like WB and ISO are all pluses over the D90. The D90 records 720P video and has better alleged high ISO performance at a more affordable price. What is more important to you? The body or the lenses? In all cases it should be the lenses but having a nice body to back it up is something extra. What I would suggest is that you go with a D90 and upgrade the glass. The lens that it comes with is pretty nifty though too, I'm not going to lie. It's a good beginning walk around lens.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordWhite00 View Post
Lol so Keep my D80 and get better lenses?

Sounds alot cheaper tooo haha
Not really. With the best lenses you won't be able to afford a better body (unless you're rich or a pro and can't afford not to), but you'll get unmatched image quality. All the body does is just record the image that the lens renders, so if you don't have some top notch lenses you'd be better off getting some of those first before upgrading your body unless there's some must-have feature on the body that you can't go without.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post

It's actually pretty cool having the camera weather sealed. On Tuesday I was at a car meet in West Covina and it started raining... Needless to say... Everyone with their D40s and XTis were fleeing for cover while I laughed and remained taking photos with my D300. I've tested the camera in rain and it still performs as it would in the dry.

OK if you need to shoot in the rain then get a D300.
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post

Haha, Well its like almost always raining in FL, So I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the d300, and I will get better lenses no doubt. So D300 look like the winner, although the D90 is what got me wanting a new camera hahah

But I will probably get lost with ALL the buttons on the D300 XD
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM   #8

Just make sure you get lenses that are weather sealed also.
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM   #9

D90 with a better lense. A noob with a d300 is like a point and shoot.
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:13 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Raymond
Honestly I think you'd be better off using your D80 some more and learning/practicing/developing with it. I know when we met and took pictures you mentioned that it was practically your first time using the camera and that wasn't a long time ago dude. More/better experience is going to make a larger difference than dumping money into a bigger body or a pricey lens. Just get out and shoot more, I bet you'll be more than impressed with the shots your current camera and lenses can get you.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM   #11

Yahh I know! Hey FLAccord.com is having a meet!!!

http://www.flaccords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1062
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in