Outdoor flash diffuser? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM   #1
4.0L

Outdoor flash diffuser?

One of my roommate's friends is getting married in April and they weren't planning on hiring a photographer, but when they heard that my roommate and I do it as a hobby they asked if we wanted to do their wedding. It's a pretty sweet deal because since we're not getting paid, they don't expect us to produce really professional pictures or anything. Basically it's a great opportunity to get some first hand experience (and practice...haha).

Anyway...the wedding is going to be in the evening, so I'll probably need a flash, but my Stofen Omnibounce is still really harsh outdoors at night. Is there a better flash diffuser for that situation? The couple doesn't want the usual planned picture time at the wedding, so I doubt we'll be renting any lighting equipment...nothing big anyway.

Thanks for any ideas!
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VietNinjaJ30A1
2000 Honda Accord V6 Supercharged
Official Slammed Club Member #36 (Stage 1)
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM   #2
The name is Scott. D:

Send a message via AIM to Whumbachumba Send a message via MSN to Whumbachumba Send a message via Yahoo to Whumbachumba
Use the Sto-fen but angle it either 45 up or to the side. You might want to switch it over to manual mode, if you have it, and drop it down in power. I know my Canon 430ex can go down to 1/64th.
Whumbachumba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM   #3
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
i use stofen
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Where is the ceremony and reception? Are both outdoors? Time of day? What kind of light around that time? And I bet the couple does want some photos, but just aren't willing to pay for a photographer, so you should still try to get some nice "planned" shots. If it's completely dark out for the reception and there's little to no lighting (gotta have at least some), you're going to have pretty flashy looking photos anyways, short of renting a D700 and some f/1.4 glass.

If you keep your camera settings cranked up so that you're only using 2-3 stops worth of flash power, photos can look quite nice. But if you seriously have no light then even that's not gonna happen. Buy or rent a 50mm f/1.4G AF-S and go to town.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #5
4.0L

They do want some good pictures, but they're not going crazy and stopping any shows to get them.

The wedding and reception are going to be at a vinyard here in Texas. From what the bride has told us, both will be outdoors (weather permitting), but the reception is going to be on a long narrow, covered patio with lighting on one side. Imagine the long side of a house, with an awning, and lights on the side of the house. So 3 of the 4 sides of the patio will be open and have no lights.

I'll try playing with my SB on manual mode to turn down the power. I have a 50mm f/1.8 and that's what I'll mainly be using at the reception (later in the evening/night), unless I can get my hands on a 50mm f/1.4 for a good price.

I also just picked up a 100mm f/2.8 Series E lens yesterday. It's more of a fun lens to play with and learn from, but I'm hoping to get quick enough with it by April to shoot some good candid portraits with it. Otherwise I'll probably just stick with the 50mm.

Steve, what do you mean by "keep your camera settings cranked up"?
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6

What I mean is keep things cranked up for maximum light collection. Use a higher ISO, 1600 if you need to, a larger aperture, slower shutter speed, etc. That way you're minimizing the flash power you need and it won't look any more flashy than necessary. Still, a really flashy looking photo with a completely dark background with the subject frozen and in focus is a much better than a non-flashy looking photo that's blurred (from too slow of a shutter speed) or out of focus (from too large of an aperture). It's a balancing act and a guessing game. You'll mostly use this as a learning experience and hopefully will get a few nice photos.

D80, right? Don't worry about ugly looking noise at 1600. Just use 1600 if you need to, trust me. Noise is one of the easiest things to clean up. Blurred or out of focus shots you're hosed. Be careful if you get an f/1.4 too. It's good for individual portraits, but there's zero depth of field. For group shots forget it. You'll need to be stopped down to at least f/4 or even f/5.6 or more for that and will need a lot of flash anyways. Pros use an SU-800 commander and off-camera flashes or portable strobes through softboxes and what not. Some even run around with an SB attached to a softbox handheld with an SC-28 or SC-29 cable to give you an arm's reach for getting the flash away from your shooting axis while still having portability.
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #7
4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
You'll mostly use this as a learning experience and hopefully will get a few nice photos.
You're dead on. That's how we're looking at this. Of course there's some pressure to churn out good pictures in order to open up new doors for the future.

I'll do some test shots tonight or something playing with the settings. I think composition will be a big player. That way even if a picture is a little flashy, as long as it's a GOOD picture, people will like it.

Thanks for the advice! I've got 4 months to trial and error the hell out of this.
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #8

Use stuffed animals as subjects to try out different lighting setups. Man I think I must have blinded poor Pooh Bear, but he was very cooperative.
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Formerly VTEC-v6!

I'd recommend renting a couple extra SB-600's and drive them with pocket wizards. Just carefully place them around the area and create your own lighting environment.

Practice makes perfect
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #10
4.0L

bah...that would mean i have to get a pocket wizard and a few more SB-600s . we're going to go out to the vineyard with them before the wedding to do a few engagement pictures for them, so i'll scope out the area and figure out what exactly i'm working with.
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #11

i use gary fong's light sphere cloud version. It works great. With the top on, it softens up the flash nicely.
aCcOrDv6VTEC3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #12
4.0L

Do you point it up or at the subject?
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #13

I usually point up. You can play around with different flash angles to get the best result.
aCcOrDv6VTEC3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in