I am a noob. Need help? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #1
07' V6 Auto Sedan

Send a message via AIM to dnlgao Send a message via MSN to dnlgao
I am a noob. Need help?

HEllo everyone. Ive seen some of the ballin pictures on here by alot of the OG's.. changaroo, doctor_x, and milan just to name a few. I am completely awed at your guy's photography skils. I have recently become more and more intrigued and interested in starting photography as a small past time. Nothing fancy. I am 17, and would like to begin to learn a little. What kind of camera should i start with that would fit a high school kids budget?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and general suggestions would be great! Just please remember i have no idea what im doing and anything technical will require a explanation

THanks guys!

D.
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Destroyer of Tires

Thanks for the praise!

A few questions though... Do you even have a camera? If so, what's the make and model?

You don't need something fancy to get nice looking photos. If you do a search of some of my old photoshoots I was using a Sony DSC-W7... And that was all the way up to 2008! You need to understand how cameras function with light among other things. I would suggest reading up on some photography websites to better understand what cameras do and how they function or enrolling in a photography class. I was 16 when I took photography in high school, so if you're not graduating this year you should take it while you can.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/shutteraperture.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

Just a few to start out off with. If you don't understand the first link I have a good analogy as to how a good exposure works.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #3
07' V6 Auto Sedan

You're welcome. From what ive seen.. Well deserved. Also, currently i dont have a camera. I did for a while, but i left it in china on accident during my last trip back.

As for next years schedule i would have love to take photography however it filled out something like this.
Ap Chem
Ap CHem
AP Calc
Ap Gov
Ap Stats
GIfted AP english
and
AP Psychology.

With Calc two at a local University in the Evening. So as of now.. it looks as if photo class is a no go.

I will definitely read up on the links you provided and search for some more. I appreciate the help, as the information seems very usefull.

As for the camera problem, what do you think would be an affordable good basic camera that would be simple to use, affordable, but still take good pictures?
dnlgao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Destroyer of Tires

Wow your schedule sounds like my sister's. She's happy to be graduating this year!

Are you looking for a point and shoot or are you looking at DSLRs?

Old May 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #5
07' V6 Auto Sedan

DSLR? "anything technical will require a explanation"

=[ Im sorry, excuse my inability to comprehend.

And assuming since i dont even know what it is, a point and shoot would be better.
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Destroyer of Tires

Well this might be a good opportunity for you to explore the world of a DSLR since you have no experience with them, which will give you more freedom to grow. DSLR stands for digital single lens reflex. Basically, it's a digital version of a film camera. Inside film cameras you have a mirror which bounces the light traveling through the lens, into a prism, which then gets shown through the view finder. This is the same principle for DSLRs, except there's no film. Where the film was, is now a sensor. Point and shoots are the cameras that are about the same size as your modern day cell phone, and DSLRs are the those big behemoths with large lenses attached to them.

DSLRs allow you complete freedom in about every aspect of photography (within realistic expectations of course). You can change anything on the camera to whatever settings you want. Point and shoots can limit you sometimes on what you can change, and even how much you can change them.

Old May 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #7
07' V6 Auto Sedan

Thanks for the insight. THats great information.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM   #8
in love with gold

Send a message via AIM to frozen
hit up www.dpreview.com for some reviews of all types and budgets of cameras from all sorts of brands.

if you're ready to make the jump into DSLR, i'm testing the waters of selling my Canon Rebel XT with the 18-55mm kit lens.. It's a great starter/noob DSLR camera and lens and i've taken some great shots with it and learned a lot from it.. i ready (i think) to move onto a newer body.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM   #9
4.0L

dude..."gifted ap english"...mind if I ask "wtf?!" AP's not enough?

Sorry...I was just wondering ...Doctor_X covered pretty much everything.
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM   #10
-Maninder

Not to do a a threadjack..

But I've been into it too lately. I only have a FujiFilm S5100 4mp camera from like 5 years ago. Not too special, but editing the pictures is pretty cool in RAW. Anybody know why a lot of the pictures are so grainy..?
1fastJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #11
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastJ30A1 View Post
Not to do a a threadjack..

But I've been into it too lately. I only have a FujiFilm S5100 4mp camera from like 5 years ago. Not too special, but editing the pictures is pretty cool in RAW. Anybody know why a lot of the pictures are so grainy..?
It will depend on the ISO and how well the camera handles those ISOs pretty much... Among other things...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 24th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #12
-Maninder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
It will depend on the ISO and how well the camera handles those ISOs pretty much... Among other things...
That's what I was thinking, pretty much the only thing I did was change it to 400 and left it there..

Last edited by 1fastJ30A1; May 24th, 2009 at 12:16 PM..
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #13
Destroyer of Tires

That's why. Make the ISO as low as possible.

Old May 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #14
KT!

Send a message via AIM to icantsleeps
200 ISO FTW!!!! haha

icantsleeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #15
-Maninder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
That's why. Make the ISO as low as possible.
I thought higher=better lol. K well I'll try this later, too lazy to get out of bed, it's 3am anyways. Thanks for the help.
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Destroyer of Tires

ISO settings have their own purpose but the higher the ISO value is the more grainy your photos become. The camera becomes more sensitive to light meaning you don't need a tripod as much in lower light, but like I said, your photos become more grainy. Lower ISOs give you a much better looking picture and also your colors will more than likely look better.

Old May 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #17
07' V6 Auto Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1 View Post
dude..."gifted ap english"...mind if I ask "wtf?!" AP's not enough?

Sorry...I was just wondering ...Doctor_X covered pretty much everything.
I know its retarted.. but you have to "test" into gifted while AP is simply a choice. But im not complaining, i get double credit ( if i do well) for my Gifted+ap classes.
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #18
4.0L

haha it's all good...i was only AP...no gifted-ness for me. but yea i got that double credit stuff too...actually it was the boosted GPA thing. in an AP class you can get a 5.0 instead of a 4.0. really screwed over anyone who didn't take AP.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #19
in love with gold

Quote:
haha it's all good...i was only AP...no gifted-ness for me. but yea i got that double credit stuff too...actually it was the boosted GPA thing. in an AP class you can get a 5.0 instead of a 4.0. really screwed over anyone who didn't take AP.
side thread jack, since this has been going on a lil bit now.. kids these days are doing way more work than when you and i went to school. back then AP was the highest thing you could be taking.. and a 1600 was the best SAT score.. and there was no such thing as a "high school exit exam" or HSEE to take. now they have to prove that not only are they smart, but that they have some common sense to be worth living. i pass by my old elementary school and it is now split up for k-6 normal and k-6 gate.. i was like.. wtf? there are 2 schools on one campus.. when i went, i was gate, but i was mixed in with the rest.

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #20
07' V6 Auto Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
side thread jack, since this has been going on a lil bit now.. kids these days are doing way more work than when you and i went to school. back then AP was the highest thing you could be taking.. and a 1600 was the best SAT score.. and there was no such thing as a "high school exit exam" or HSEE to take. now they have to prove that not only are they smart, but that they have some common sense to be worth living. i pass by my old elementary school and it is now split up for k-6 normal and k-6 gate.. i was like.. wtf? there are 2 schools on one campus.. when i went, i was gate, but i was mixed in with the rest.
I would only partially agree. I bielieve this is only somewhat true. Today, AP is still the hardest level you can take in high school, moreso than IB. The highest on the SAT is 2400 now, but the grades have been curve accordinly, so there is really no difference. As for the development of "smarts", i agree; sure in the past ten years kids have gotten smarter, however it is also because the standards have gotten lower. NCLB, killed Americas education system. I jokingly proposed a math class for students that were struggling, by which a 50% was passing and a 80% was an A. This class is now offered in 2 schools in my district, at 5different periods.
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #21
07' V6 Auto Sedan

Quote:
Yeah, but still its kinda wierd.. we dont do weighted GPA's at our school. I have a 3.9 and have been taking honors/AP/Gifted classes everytime they have been offered, and only gotten 3 B's. I guess different schools do different things because i've heard of 5.1 GPA's..-_-
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #22
4.0L

Yea I had something like a 4.7 when I graduated from HS. We do the top 10% rule here...woop woop! Although that's becoming a problem now because some schools are REALLY bad and the top 10% of those students wouldn't even be in the top 50% at a regular or gifted school.

So anyway...what kind of camera are you thinking about getting? Nikon vs. Canon...it's really the same thing. You're not gonna get better pics out of one brand than the other. I'd suggest going to a camera store and trying out a few. I like Nikon because the button/control placement is much more ergonomic for me. And I like their menu system...it's a lot easier to read/understand.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #23
07' V6 Auto Sedan

Im not sure yet.. ive been looking right now at some of the DSLR's and those are STEEEEP on the pockets. Right now i just have a simple point and shoot canon powershot
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #24
Destroyer of Tires

I Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel XTi can be found for very cheap now days. Probably 100 - 150 more than a decent point and shoot.

Old May 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #25
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

D40 or D50 - $200 used on eBay. 18-55 kit lens - $60 used. 50mm f/1.8 $80-100 used. That's a great starter setup for around $350.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #26
07' V6 Auto Sedan

Yeah i was looking at the canon Xti's.. but i just had to pay for my college classes.. so im even more broke right now. But i will be def picking up a camera before the summer is over. I will keep you guys posted on what i get. I appreciate all the helP! Now who wanna do my calc homework? ;]
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #27
Hector Ochocinco

Send a message via AIM to HECz_
Why don't you pick up that Nikon D50 in the classifieds?
HECz_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #28
in love with gold

craigslist.org always has some good deals too.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #29
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
It also helps to ask around to see what some other folks have. That way you can always buy their used lenses or share lenses to keep costs low. I went with Canon simply because I had a friend who goes through a lot of lenses and I was able to grab a few slighly used ones at about 50% off.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to chiefy
just sold my d50 for $200

chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in