Macro Lenses - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #1
J35 6Spd

Macro Lenses

I really want to start taking some good macro shots (tho i don't have much time to take any pictures right now), but I'm not sure which lenses to invest in. I've looked through some of Ken Rockwell's reviews but the v6p community seems to give a lot of great advice as well.

For this lens I'd try and keep my budget lower and get something more "entry level" to macro photography. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most macro photography is of still objects anyway.. so AF-S wouldn't be a huge necessity (I'm shooting with a D40)

So, what lenses are reasonably priced with great results? I know some normal lenses are used in macro photography sometimes also... but it was my understanding that they can't focus as close as a good macro lens.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Hatin' on me hatin' on me

Well, a true macro lens means your subject will focus on a level that's bigger than a 1:1 ratio. Regular lenses don't do "real" macro work.
inspired1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I use a Nikon AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D 1:2 macro lens for macro work. It does 1:2 macro (half life size) which has always been close enough for me. I definitely NEED autofocus though because I do it handheld and not on a tripod. With the tiny depth of field and the close distance you're focusing at, there's no way to hold what you want in precise focus if you're focusing manually just becuase of the sway from body motion or from even touching the shutter release. So while this lens will work on a D40 and you'll have metering and everything, don't expect to do macro shots handheld with it unless you have way steadier hands and body than me. I paid $140 for the lens a few years ago, and then eventually bought a used D50 for $200 pretty much just to drive the AF on this lens for handheld macro shots, which I eventually ditched and upgraded to a D200 when Best Buy had them for $599 brand new.

Unfortunately you're looking at $900 for the Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 Micro which does 1:1. They have a 60mm AF-S micro which also does 1:1 and is about $600 I think? If you really like macro/micro stuff and this is your thing, buy the best. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro which does 1:1 is also a good choice, but no AF. Similarly, the older AF but not AF-S discontinued Nikon micro lenses, the 105/2.8D and 60/2.8D micro which both do 1:1 and will give you metering but no AF. If 1:2 is good enough, the used 28-105 does a great job and you'll still get metering.

BTW, what lenses do you currently have? A lens like the AF-S 70-300VR will do 1:1 macro if you get a Canon 500D close-up filter for it. Have the lens and used to have a 500D but found I almost never needed to get that close and that 1:2 would git er done for me. So there's cheap options too besides a whole lens. Extension tubes are said to work great with the 50mm prime lenses, etc.

What did you have in mind as far as subjects? If insects you'll definitely want a full 1:1 macro lens.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #4
J35 6Spd

thanks steve. I havent really contemplated what exactly I want to shoot, but I know I want to have the 1:1 sizing available. The lenses I currently have are:

18-55 kit lens (non vr)
50 1.8D (currently trying to sell)
70-300 VR

I certainly want to have the best, but at the moment with law school tuition I cant afford to get the lens I'd eventually like (105 AF-S). rather, I'm looking for a cheap "learning" lens. if I got a manual lens I'd certainly start out with doing tripod work, since i'd have to fumble with exposure settings and focusing anyway.

on ebay i've come across a number of 55mm f2.8 or 3.5 micro lenses for about 50-100 dollars, and a 105 for a little over 200 (all manual focus).

regarding the close up filter.... any experience with these? I looked up the cannon 500D filter... $120 is pretty steep for the 72mm filter (I know it's still a lot less than the 60 or 105mm lenses), but how good of picture quality do these filters yield?
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5
J35 6Spd

also... the closest focus on the 70-300VR is about 9ft... how much closer does the 500D filter really get on a lens like that?

doing my own research in the meantime thanks for the starting point
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #6
4.0L

I think the 105mm f/2.8 macro VR is around $700 now. I haven't checked in a while, but when it first came out it was like $850 but going for more because it was hard to find. I played with that lens and it was AMAZING.

What's your budget? I got a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro for about $450 brand new. You could probably find that lens used for around $300. It's actually a great lens. My only grip (non technical) is that the AF is kind of slow sometimes. It should AF on your D40 as well...but check on that. I haven't done any Steve-like lens tests with it
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #7
J35 6Spd

Yeah I'd love to pick up the 105... but at the same time if I was spending that much money I'd be torn between going for the full macro or a really wide lens like the 10-24 AF-S haha..

I really want to keep this cheap for now (the $60 55mm micros on ebay were looking good).. but I think i might pick up a pretty inexpensive close up filter and see how it works out.. after searching around on some other forums there are some really nice looking shots with different close up filters used. one of the other big reason's i cant justify spending a lot on a lens right now is that i dont have time to shoot pictures very often... and that i just picked up a sb600 flash

some of the close up filters i saw are as cheap as 40 dollars (Hoya, B&W, Tiffen). for that price it's worth it to experiment and see how they are.
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschwiggy View Post
18-55 kit lens (non vr)
50 1.8D (currently trying to sell)
70-300 VR

<snip>

regarding the close up filter.... any experience with these? I looked up the cannon 500D filter... $120 is pretty steep for the 72mm filter (I know it's still a lot less than the 60 or 105mm lenses), but how good of picture quality do these filters yield?
Get a 500D and you're set. The 70-300VR will do 1:1 macro with that filter. Actually it's not really a filter but rather two BEEFY hunks of glass, which explains their price. Image quality is excellent. On a DX camera I hear you can get by with the smaller 58mm version and a step-down ring for less, but I haven't tried it. I'll post photos of my 70-300VR + 500D combo later.

The $100 or less macros you can get or older Nikkor manual focus ones typically only do 1:2 macro and require extension tubes to get down to 1:1, and since they're not CPU lenses you won't have metering. Super cheap - you can get a BR-2A adapter to reverse mount your 50mm f/1.8 and that'll give you some crazy macro too, but tripod only for sure.
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #9
J35 6Spd

i read that the 500D is a +2 diopter.. won't i be able to get even closer with a +4 or crazy +10 diopter?

im afraid a 58mm filter on a 67mm lens might cause vignetting? I'd love to see the sample pics, thanks
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #10

I was gonna recommend you Canon 100L f/2.8 IS but saw that you have Nikon...

Sigma 105 f/2.8 or Sigma 150 f/2.8 are good lens
turbo_911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
i read that the 500D is a +2 diopter.. won't i be able to get even closer with a +4 or crazy +10 diopter?
You said you wanted good image quality, right?

Quote:
im afraid a 58mm filter on a 67mm lens might cause vignetting? I'd love to see the sample pics, thanks
I've read that specifically for close-up filter use and on a DX frame camera it's OK if you go with the 58mm size, but I haven't tried it myself. I had the 77mm version.

70-300VR naked, 300mm and minimum focus, me standing with quarter on floor

70-300VR + Canon 500D, 300mm and minimum focus with quarter on a chair now (click for giant)
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

ISO 900 and f/11 on my D80 so if it doesn't look as good as you were expecting it's because of that. Looks good to me. This is way closer than I need, but if you're shooting tiny insects or whatever you need every bit of closeness you can get.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #12
J35 6Spd

thanks steve... landed a 72 mm 500D for about 100 bucks.. just need a step down ring.

if i use this on a much smaller lens like the 50mm 1.8 with only a 52mm filter thread.... will the 72mm version be too big optically? or will it still work fine with conversion rings

Last edited by Kschwiggy; October 6th, 2009 at 09:40 PM..
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #13

It should work. Just make sure you get GOOD step-up/down rings, because the 500D is seriously a HEFTY hunk of glass. Don't cheap out on cheesy little plastic things. Spend $10 more for the quality Made in Germany solid metal B+W step-up/down rings. Adorama or B&H should both have them.

Edit: Oh, the 500D will "work" on the 50mm but it won't do a whole lot because it's intended for longer focal lengths. For shorter lenses like the 50mm you'd want the 250D. I tried the 500D on my 17-55 and it only got a little bit closer, and not close enough to bother. So I'd save your money on a 72 -> 52mm step-down ring.
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #14
J35 6Spd

thanks steve... hopefully i'll have some good shots to put up next week after my midterm. maybe I can check out ritz and see if they have good rings in stock.

i keep looking at that close up of the quarter.... its sharper than the first picture without the 500D!
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #15
J35 6Spd

whhhyy does adorama have to be closed until oct 12

AND B+H growl
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #16

Jewish holidays. They're both run by orthodox.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #17
J35 6Spd

oye vey. i wonder if ritz carries them in the store even though they arent on their webiste
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #18

Wow... Had no idea these even existed.

Tokina AT-X M35 PRO DX 35mm f/2.8 Macro - $349 at Adorama
Tokina AT-X M100 AF PRO D 100mm f/2.8 Macro - $399 at Adorama

Screwdriver focusing system so no AF on D40/40x/60/3000/5000 Nikon bodies, but definitely a great value! And both of these thing do 1:1 macro also.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #19
J35 6Spd

500D shipped yesterday from colorado and hopefully adorama will get me the ring by next thurs or friday.. i HOPE by friday since I'm going home to new jersey next weekend.

how exactly does the focal length affect size reproduction? if both lenses are 1:1, won't they both be able to produce the same object size in an image? is the difference in focal length just a matter of how close you need to get to the subject to acheive 1:1?
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #20

It doesn't. Just some perspective difference if anything. For usability, the biggest difference between 35mm and 100mm at 1:1 is that the 100mm will give you some working distance and make getting lighting on the subject easier whereas you'll have virtually no working distance with the 35mm. The subject will almost literally be touching the front element, which would make it unsuitable for insects (which would get scared and fly away) or if you want to get some external lighting on it.
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #21
J35 6Spd

glass arrives today but step ring wont be here until tomorrow or thursday because adorama just opened back up yesterday =(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in