Some advice please. TIA! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
Some advice please. TIA!

First off, thanks for all the valuable input in the Photography thread.

Second, I thought it would be nice to get an SLR before Christmas Eve and with how much I've already spent on Christmas this year, plus a generous $150 gift card from Best Buy, I figured I can squeeze in a few hundred bucks before my significant other notices.

I missed the Amazon deal on the Canon so Im kicking myself for that. But BB has a deal right now for this:

Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens - Black for $559.99.

Im very new to SLR's so I thought I would get this to start out. Plus, my cousin said I can have his 50mm lens for a Canon for $30 bucks.

Is this a good camera to learn and grow with? Or should I just take the plunge and get the T1i?

Last edited by relentless; December 21st, 2009 at 04:32 PM..
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Anything is fine really. The most important thing is to make sure the feel of the camera is OK in your hands and that the menu system makes sense. Some people prefer Canon ergonomics, and some prefer Nikon ergonomics. If you have friends that already shoot a particular brand then it makes sense to checkout that brand first for the hookup factor.

Don't blow too much on the camera body because if you get into SLR photography you'll definitely want to try out a lot of the different lenses, although there's no reason you can't keep things simple and get a ton of great photos just with the standard kit lenses too.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
you gotta rub to dub!

Ive tried both Nikon and Canon cameras and they feel fine to me. At first I was gonna get a Sony because of the hook up price but trying out the A380 and A550 in my hands was just uncomfortable. (I have big hands)
As far as the menu system, Im not really familiar with either canon or nikon so I figured Id learn either one pretty quickly.
My biggest concern is the price this time of year plus expandability in the future. Plus, all my friends have canon cameras.
Im looking to shoot a lot indoor shots and outdoor scenic pictures when I travel.

As far as the XSi, that's the cheapest I've ever seen it so I thought it would be a good deal. Most of the time its only $50 off.

Old December 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM   #4

If your friends all shoot Canon DSLRs then definitely get whatever Canon is in your price range and you'll be in good shape. The standard kit lens is perfectly fine for travel, but for indoor shots you'll probably want one of the external flash units so that you can bounce light around on ceilings and walls, and possibly a faster lens too. And a case. And memory cards. And a tripod eventually (snowball effect)
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM   #5
you gotta rub to dub!

Appreciate the help! Im picking up a prime lens from my friend. Its a 50mm f1.8 (I think, I know its a 50mm though) for dirt cheap. I've seen the pictures he's taken with it and Im really excited about it. I actually have a tri-pod and an 8gig SDHC memory card from my point and shoot camera. All I need is a bag for now and possibly a good telephoto lens.
If all goes according to plan and I can sneak out the house tomorrow, Im gonna pick up the camera! Can't wait!!!
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM   #6
you gotta rub to dub!

Also, any recommendations on a reasonably priced zoom lens?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:23 AM   #7

define reasonably priced.

Also you need to specify a range and a purpose, because there's like a zillion different zoom lenses at all price ranges for many different purposes. I assume you mean telephoto zoom lens, in which case the EF-S 55-250mm IS lens should be pretty good. You can find those bundled into two lens kits with new DSLRs combining the 18-55 and 55-250. There's some cheap 70-300mm zooms too, but stabilization is important in this range and the 70-300IS is about $400-500 I think. The 55-250IS is a lot cheaper.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM   #8
you gotta rub to dub!

Its a done deal! I just picked up the Rebel XSi from BestBuy. The Sales lady even told me about the Canon Starter Kit which includes a Canon Bag, Filter and Battery. The starter kit alone is $120 but its free when purchased with the Camera. Total after taxes came out to $609.

Also ordered this from Adorama:
Canon Speedlite 270EX Flash Basic Outfit, with 4 NiMH Batteries, Charger, Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer - Refurbished

For $354.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:13 AM   #9

nice
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #10
you gotta rub to dub!

Any recommendations on a photo hosting site such as Flickr or Picasa?
Old December 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #11
The name is Scott. D:

Send a message via AIM to Whumbachumba Send a message via MSN to Whumbachumba Send a message via Yahoo to Whumbachumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless View Post
Any recommendations on a photo hosting site such as Flickr or Picasa?
Uh...Flickr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whumbachumba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #12
you gotta rub to dub!

I noticed a few others using Flckr, looks like its pretty cheap per year with a $25/year fee. I'll go with them.

Also, a local guy here in San Diego is selling this on Craigslist:
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Image Stabilized AutoFocus Wide Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens

Adorama sells this new for $410. The guy is asking for $275 OBO. He's had approx. 1000 shots with it and said its in perfect condition. You guys think this is a good deal? I figured it would be a good walk around lens.
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #13

I don't see why you'd need that lens if you already have a 55-250 IS? The two lenses are too similar. For a "normal" range walkaround lens, the 18-55IS is what you'd want, or maybe the 17-85IS if you have a little more money to spend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in