GF1 random test shots - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #1
hmmm what next?

GF1 random test shots

Hey all I got a Panasonic GF1 of Xmas and have been testing it out none of the pictures are photoshop and were shot unfortunately in JPEG I want raw but I dont have Photoshop yet.

Enjoy i sure am!

some shots of the winter set up and yes the white wheels look really funny.

I am just beginner in digital SLR but so far I am really happy with my results and I am learning so much. For those of you beginning look at those histograms is so nice!

shonda1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to CRV_33
shots are a bit dark but the wheels look much nicer on your car. just need to lower the front a tad to go even with the rear. how are the tires holding up? i already miss them!
CRV_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Destroyer of Tires

I don't think I've ever seen photos of your car lol.

If you don't have one already, get a tripod, and just keep playing with it/getting comfortable with it!

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 29th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

The GF1 is a rangefinder camera and not an SLR, but close enough. Which lens are you using? Do you have the 20/1.7 or the mid-range zoom, or some adapter? Despite what 99% of the people on the Internet say, there's really nothing wrong with JPEG in the vast majority of cases, unless the in-camera processing really does suck that bad.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #5
hmmm what next?

i am still playing with the settings and things my next buy is a flash and a new lens. i only have the 14-45 my sister who really convinced me to want this camera has the 20mm which is a really nice stock lens.

steve your probubly right about this not being an SLR but your definatly right about it being close enough. i have yet to see any difference between this camera and my dads cannon eos whatever.

cvr the wheels are fantastic! i will rock winter tires for the rest of my winters last year i had bald tires and how i even avoided a car accedent is beyond me.

i will try to get a shot with more light i need a tripod and to play with the shutter speed more.
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #6
hmmm what next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
The GF1 is a rangefinder camera and not an SLR, but close enough. Which lens are you using? Do you have the 20/1.7 or the mid-range zoom, or some adapter? Despite what 99% of the people on the Internet say, there's really nothing wrong with JPEG in the vast majority of cases, unless the in-camera processing really does suck that bad.
the in camera processor is actually really nice in the right conditions. i am quickly finding out that low light is this cameras weak point but i will play with it more!
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #7
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

The technical image quality should be very similar to that of a crop DSLR body. The biggest difference you'll see will be situational dependent especially with AF speed. SLR AF speed is still going to be superior vs. a "DRF" with much slower phase detect systems (like in point and shoots).

Low light is the weak point of almost any camera. On my D200 once I reach ISO 400 I just start going to faster and faster lenses. I don't even bother with f/5.6 slow zooms for the most part anymore, except for the rare cases when i'm shooting things that don't move and can use a slow shutter speed. 99% of my shooting is my two kids, so I almost always need fast shutter speeds even in crummy light because they never hold still. For things that don't move though, lock the ISO lower, use a slower shutter speed, and turn on the lens stabilization if you've got it, or get the tripod out.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #8
hmmm what next?

well i got a tripod today and re shot in the same location and in another and got kicked out which sucked cause there parking lot had sweet light. i am really ready to steal my sisters 20mm lens.

here are some pics.

got to love having to scrap that frsted wind shield off every morning!

a few shots while testing the ISO and F stop

its to bad i got kicked out of this place i was here for no more then 10 minutes when the rent-a-cop who had a security badge stuck up his butt made me leave.

critique please!
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:16 PM   #9
hmmm what next?

bumpity cause this section doesnt get crap for lookers!
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Destroyer of Tires

You definitely need work on your night shots. Your highlights are way blown out.

Do you understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO? I tell people this little analogy that seems to help.

Old January 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM   #11
hmmm what next?

not really i am no expert at cameras i understand some. and some of those shots are to show the shutter differences to make a educated guess on the camera like this shot has to low of a shutter speed and to high of an aperature i believe?

and this one was a to low of ISO and a slow shutter speed. i will start posting my settings so i can learn more.

Old January 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM   #12
Destroyer of Tires

How I like to explain it is this...

You start with an empty cup, and a water faucet. The cup's size represents the ISO. The smaller the cup, the higher the ISO value is. The larger the cup, the lower the ISO value is. Shutter speed would be how long it takes the water to fill the cup up. Aperture is how large the valve opening is on the faucet. Obviously the water, representing light, will fall at the same rate, it just depends on how large the opening is to determine how long it takes to fill up the cup.

So lets say you have two large cups. For the first cup, you just crank open the faucet head and the water fills up the cup very quickly. The second cup, you have the water barely trickling into the cup. As you would imagine, the time it takes for the first cup to fill up is drastically lower then the time it takes for the second cup to fill up. The same applies to the smaller cups. The more water you allow into the cup at one time, the faster it will fill up and vice versa.

Now that's just the basics of understanding their relationship, but their effects are not explained in my analogy so that you just need to understand. A larger aperture (meaning allowing more light in at once) will give you shallow depth of field. This can also affect sharpness. A smaller aperture allows more to be in focus at one time. Higher ISO makes the photos look grainier. Having the ISO as low as possible is always a plus if your camera does not handle high ISOs well, but there will be times when you need to increase it to capture something important or if you're trying to convey a certain image. So if you're shooting at night with a tripod, put it on the lowest ISO setting and adjust the aperture and shutter speed accordingly (I like to use some of the middle apertures because they tend to be the sharpest). If you don't have your tripod however, or you need to capture some fast moving objects and can't risk blurring the photos due to motion, crank up the ISO, open up the aperture, and speed up the shutter.

Hope that helps. Also, pay attention to the histograms, as I recommend to people. This is a chart that allows you to see all the darks and lights in your photo. I try and make sure that the histogram isn't too skewed to the left or to the right. If you see gaps between the end of the histogram and your peaks and valleys, you need to adjust something. Sometimes though you can adjust it later in Photoshop so it's not a HUGE deal but it's always better to just get it right the first time than to try and correct it later.

Old January 1st, 2010, 08:48 PM   #13
hmmm what next?

thanks man that is really helpful i am looking at the histograms and have tried to keep them mostly in the center and not having peaks in the left or right. i will test it out more once it gets warmer i cant move my fingers after about 5 minutes on these cold days.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Destroyer of Tires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in