The bythom.com [Thom Hogan] comment thread - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #1
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

The bythom.com [Thom Hogan] comment thread

Check out Thom Hogan's Dec 29th post.

http://www.bythom.com/
or here later on: http://www.bythom.com/2009%20Nikon%20News.htm

The Nikon D90 is Nikon's #1 selling DSLR in Japan and the D5000, D60, D40, and even the D3000 all outsell any of Nikon's FX cameras (d700, d3, d3x, d3s). This is why I laugh when people try to suggest that "everybody" is going to full frame. No. Actually very few are or do, and the hard sales numbers back that up. And despite all of Nikon's excellent full-frame DSLRs, the Canon 5D Mark II outsells all of them. Where's that D700x/D800 for around $2500-3000 again, Nikon? And then 11.5% of the market is now m4/3 format digital rangefinder cameras (up from 0% in 2008 since they didn't exist yet), and which Nikon and Canon don't offer. Hmmmmm....
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2

Figured I'd make this into a comment thread for his site in general, and see what happens. He posted an update today which of course put the Dec 29th stuff back on his 2009 archives page so hit the 2nd link now.

Per his new update Jan 4th, looks like "lots" of new Nikon goodies will be coming our way in early to mid February, per his insider knowledge. My guess is that Nikon will be releasing a lot of those new lenses they've supposedly had but didn't want to release last year in the middle of a recession.

AF-S 24/1.4
AF-S 35/1.4
AF-S 85/1.4
AF-S 105/135 f/2 ??
AF-S 100-500VR ??

Probably not all at once.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #3

So what exactly is the pro for having a 4/3 format camera? I have seen lots for sale and they all seem to have less than a DSLR but cost just about the same.
00Accord4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #4

http://www.photozone.de/slr-vs-rangefinder
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/rangefinder-vs-slr.htm

Basically a m4/3 is a rangefinder type camera that eliminates the mirror box and gives you a big sensor in a much smaller profile. With a 20mm 'normal' pancake lens on a m4/3 camera you can shove the thing in a pocket whereas that's still impossible with the smallest Nikon D40 DSLR and a normal 35/1.8 lens. Rangefinders are also a lot quieter operating.
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #5

Thom's 2010 Nikon Lens survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XVV3DQY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythom.com
I Need Your Help
Feb 15--Since there's been a lot of discussion about lenses lately, I need your help in getting a better sense of your current use and future needs. You can help me out by taking the time to fill out a short survey on Nikon lenses. To do that, click here. This information is very important. Not only does it help me understand what lenses you have and still want and thus better direct my efforts on this Web site.

I know that the survey form is somewhat awkward and doesn't include out of production lenses. There's a good reason for both things: I have historical data using the exact same questions, thus in order to see shifts over time, I have to present the questions exactly the same. Yes, this means that i didn't fully anticipate the long lists that now result, but it also means that I can compare past and current results, thus getting a better sense of demand that has dropped, stayed the same, or increased. I should also note that the right people at Nikon will see the results of this survey. Thus, while I understand the complaints about the format of the survey, it will help all Nikon users if you can bear with that and complete the form.
Just voted.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Figured I'd make this into a comment thread for his site in general, and see what happens. He posted an update today which of course put the Dec 29th stuff back on his 2009 archives page so hit the 2nd link now.

Per his new update Jan 4th, looks like "lots" of new Nikon goodies will be coming our way in early to mid February, per his insider knowledge. My guess is that Nikon will be releasing a lot of those new lenses they've supposedly had but didn't want to release last year in the middle of a recession.

Probably not all at once.
AF-S 24/1.4
AF-S 35/1.4
AF-S 85/1.4
AF-S 105/135 f/2 ?? <<< hotness! who needs DC anyway? Hopefully it's cheaper than the DC version.
AF-S 100-500VR ??

BTW, I think one reason why people like DX a lot is because it crops out any soft corners and also allows for much better telephoto to spy on people. muahahaha
Trevendous03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #7

ooooh, I can vote from home too! Sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in