the Ken Rockwell comment thread [kenrockwell.com] - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #1
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

the Ken Rockwell comment thread [kenrockwell.com]

Post all of your Ken Rockwell related comments here.

www.kenrockwell.com
Latest updates and popular links: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm
his about section: http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm

Latest article: The Most Important New Product of the First Decade of the 2000s.

He goes through what he think the biggest thing was photographically for each decade.

For him, Fuji's reintroduction of their Velvia 50 film was the biggest thing of the 2000's. I guess for his style I can see that as being the biggest thing, but for me it's definitely been the "affordable" DSLR. The D1 of 1999 wasn't the least bit affordable to most people, but the Nikon D70 of 2004 was, being introduced at $999. Also Canon beat Nikon here with their Digital Rebel line. I'm not sure what the first one was or what the price was, other than that it was out in 2003. The D70 is still a good camera today in 2010, which is pretty amazing considering 'digital rot' and how quickly things go obsolete. Especially for people with kids, there's nothing better than a DSLR and today you can get them for $400-500 complete with a lens!
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

OK, I like Ken but even I think he's gone off the deep end a bit here:

Jan 6, 2010
Quote:
New decade, new deal.

Let's try to forget how many tens of thousands of dollar each of us threw at DLSRs last decade, and how little we have to show for it today.

Let's see: I burned through a D1H, D70, D80, D40, D300, D3, Rebel XTI, 5D, 5D Mark II, numerous Mavicas and point-and-shoots and I forget what else, and what is it all worth today? Worse, how about in just 5 years when the D3 and 5D Mark II are expired?

How about all the time I spent banging out reviews of all that junk? I must have ten huge 100 pages (when printed) on each of the D70 and D1X, and today, no one cares.

[continued...]
Except that the D1X and D70 are both still perfectly good cameras today. Digital camera companies might replace their camera bodies every 2-3 years, but that doesn't mean you must upgrade. Nobody is forcing you to. You can keep on shooting with whatever you've got and still get great results. It's nice to have a little extra disposable income to be able to afford some of the nicer/newer stuff, but if I didn't and all I could afford was an old feature stripped D50 or Nikon's cheapest D40, I guarantee you I'd still be cranking out nice family photos and travel/vacation shots today. The bottom line is that it's all about the person standing behind the camera and looking through the viewfinder, and not the gear being used.

The biggest problem with older DSLRs (and old electronics in general) is that old electronics tend to flake out after awhile unless they're well cared for in a relatively well controlled enivronment with temperature and humidity regulation. Also the proprietary batteries eventually need to be replaced, OEMs don't keep on making said batteries, and that forces you into junk aftermarket batteries which are completely hit and miss. This is why purely mechanical cameras from decades ago will still keep on working just fine, and even 1990's era film cameras that just have simple metering electronics and misc other stuff. Very simple and basic (and reliable) electronics compared to any DSLR. And my 1999 Nikon F100 takes AA batteries, so no need to screw around with proprietary garbage. I put my modern Sanyo Eneloops in it and it works great.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in