Please help the photography noob.... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Please help the photography noob....

Ok guys, the garage has claimed another P&S camera, my Cannon PS A590 is on it's way out. Now remember this camera is primarily used in my garage to document my work so I don't want anything expensive that if I break it I will be too upset, say under $250. Also this camera will go to car shows and alike, I do not like taking time to go thru all kinds of settings and stuff like most of you, I just want to point it and get a decent shot. Replacement suggestions?

Thanks for the help.....
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

It's $100 more but I absolutely love my Canon S90. It's a "big sensor" compact with good high ISO, a fast wide lens, decent macro mode, and great controls. It'll do great at car shows in lousy light and whatever else you throw at it. It's much better than any compact has a right to be.

Just get a long full replacement warranty on it so that when you break it you can get another one or more likey its successor for free.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #3
J35 6Spd

+1 on the s90
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #4
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

What makes it better than say the SX-120IS which is $200
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #5
J35 6Spd

s90 vs 120IS:
(s90) faster lens + better light sensitivity = it will perform better in lower light like in the garage
(s90) wider lens, allowing you to get more into the shot such as a close up of an engine bay
(s90) rechargeable battery pack and charger included, unlike the 120IS requiring AA batteries... and those rechargeable AA batteries wouldnt last at all
(s90) metal body construction. I'm willing to bet the 120IS is plastic. In that garage you need something tough. Whichever camera you get though, get a case or pouch for it.

All that said, the 120IS is probably fine for what you want to use it for, especially since your subjects (cars/engines) aren't moving around in low light, and the price difference. batteries for the 120IS will be a pain though unless you keep rechargeables on reserve to swap right away.

What happened to the last camera?? You didn't have it for long
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #6
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

If you have an issue with flash lighting reflecting strongly off whatever it is you're trying to shoot (shiny engine bay parts) then you'll love the S90. Yeah, wider lens, faster lens, better sensor. You can get away with a lot and never need a flash on it. Controls are brilliant so as long as you're familiar with the basic adjustments you might need to make you can get in, get exactly the shot you want, and then get back to work with absolutely minimal ****ing around.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #7
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschwiggy View Post
s90 vs 120IS:
(s90) faster lens + better light sensitivity = it will perform better in lower light like in the garage
(s90) wider lens, allowing you to get more into the shot such as a close up of an engine bay
(s90) rechargeable battery pack and charger included, unlike the 120IS requiring AA batteries... and those rechargeable AA batteries wouldnt last at all
(s90) metal body construction. I'm willing to bet the 120IS is plastic. In that garage you need something tough. Whichever camera you get though, get a case or pouch for it.

All that said, the 120IS is probably fine for what you want to use it for, especially since your subjects (cars/engines) aren't moving around in low light, and the price difference. batteries for the 120IS will be a pain though unless you keep rechargeables on reserve to swap right away.

What happened to the last camera?? You didn't have it for long
The lense has gotten scratched and the pics them selves are getting dimmer and yellowed.
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #8
J35 6Spd

go on craigslist, get a used DSLR for 200 - 300 dollars, and a clear filter for like 10 dollars. Then you'll have a good camera and a lens protector that you can just swap for a new one if it gets scratched.

here's a pretty good set but it's $350. Something for 200-300 will be a rarer find.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...782370421.html

the s90 also has filter adapters available... get that and attach a clear filter
http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/s90v2.php

but now you can see the idea i'm getting at

As for the pics getting dimmer and yellow....? maybe a lot of dust of different sorts is seeping into the camera over time sitting in the garage. Again I'd say get a case and keep it in there most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in