Wide angle questions - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #1

Wide angle questions

Ok I have been thinking about my next choice in optics for awhile and I change my mind all the time. But the more and more I get into cycling, the more and more I think I would enjoy to have something very wide. (I think)

But I was wondering what the difference is between an ultra wide and a fisheye? They seem to be around the same focal length but produce different results.

Is one better than the other, or can you not compare them since they are for two different markets? I have been around Ken Rockwell looking at reviews but his recommendations always seem to be circular. Hard to find an actual lens that is better than the others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
00Accord4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2
J35 6Spd

I think an ultrawide is much more useful than a fisheye. the ultrawide gives some distortion in the picture (fixable in photoshop)... but for the most part maintains a normal perspective in the picture. It also allows you to get very close to your subject while still getting more into the shot

the fisheye on the other hand creates a very skewed perspective

I think of the fisheye as a novelty lens that is fun for some shots but not nearly as usable as an ultrawide

^^ neither of shots shots are mine.

I have the Nikon 10-24 AFS and love it
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #3
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Ultra-wide is more flexible as was said... it'd be more useful. The Nikon 10-24 and 12-24 is nice for DX but if you plan on going full-frame, try the 14-24 or 16-35 VR.
Trevendous03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Have owned both and like both. Right now I just have a rectilinear ultra-wide but fisheye lenses are pretty sweet too.

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #5

And here's 17mm on full-frame (would need a 10-11mm wide lens on a crop-body for the same FOV)

Old June 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschwiggy View Post
http://blog.girlsbydesign.com/wp-content/fisheye-2.jpg

I think of the fisheye as a novelty lens that is fun for some shots but not nearly as usable as an ultrawide
That's a full 360-degree circular fisheye lens, and yeah it's a bit less versatile and more on the special effects side. The one I posted was from a Nikon 10.5mm rectilinear style fisheye with a 180-degree diagonal field of view. Much more versatile, and shot well it doesn't even look all that distorted, plus there's plenty of correction and conversion software out there to get a lot of different looks.
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #7
J35 6Spd

wow i love the shot from the 10.5.. i've been thinking of getting my hands on one but even better is the opteka 6.5 fisheye... at 299 msrp it's half the price which is about what i'd want to spend at this point for a novelty lens, and is supposed to be very good for the money

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Aspheri.../dp/B002KMAWO0
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #8

^^I think that is the lens Rockwell talked about and how it was a great lens esp for the price.

Amazing skyline picture Steve! Is that an older picture from when you had nikon or with one of ur new Canon lenses? Is there really a huge need for a zoom ultra-wide? I just feel like at that range i would always want it as wide as it could be. Also is autofocus a big deal with ultrawide? Or could I get away with just having it manual? Keep in mind that I might be using it for some action photos
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #9
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
I have an UW 12-24 thanks to Trevor. Its a very fun lens to use!

Here's a shot I took at the San Diego Fair. I started out using my 28-75 but I quickly switched since I wanted everything in the picture... Plus, It was crowded so I didn't really have much space to back up.

relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Accord4cyl View Post
^^I think that is the lens Rockwell talked about and how it was a great lens esp for the price.

Amazing skyline picture Steve! Is that an older picture from when you had nikon or with one of ur new Canon lenses? Is there really a huge need for a zoom ultra-wide? I just feel like at that range i would always want it as wide as it could be. Also is autofocus a big deal with ultrawide? Or could I get away with just having it manual? Keep in mind that I might be using it for some action photos
The skyline shot was with a Nikon D40 and Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8D fisheye, manual focus. I also straightened the edges with the Image Trends Fisheye Hemi plug-in, which removes a lot of the fishiness while still giving you a very natural and super wide looking photos. That's one of my all-time favorite cityscape photos. Time was perfect, lighting was perfect, and just happened to have exactly the right lens.

Manual focus is super easy with ultra-wides. I also brought my D40 and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 on a trip once (no autofocus there either) and it was no problem to get in focus shots. AF sensors are still active, you still get electronic focus confirmation, you just have to turn the focus ring yourself. The fisheye is brainlessly easy - you can pretty much just park focus at 6 feet or infinity and almost everything will always be in focus. You only need to focus when you're right up close on top of something going for a wild perspective exaggeration.

This is the fisheye that Ken was looking at, a Pro-Optic: http://kenrockwell.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm Looks similar to the Opteka. One thing to note on that is that it's a Nikon AIS equivalent lens (no CPU), so you'll be manually focusing and manually metering also, unless you have a D200/300 or higher level body. I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a non-metering body though. Just get an external meter or use the LCD/histograms and guess. I agree - $800+ for Nikon's fisheye is probably a bit too much to spend on a fisheye unless it's really your thing. I loved mine, but not $800 much. I'd definitely go for one of those Pro-Optic ones.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #11
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

I miss my Tokina 12-24 already but glad to see it is put to good use.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #12
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
I only intended to use the 12-24 for scenic, amusement park type photography. But I find myself reaching for it a lot! I use the 12mm focal range for scenery and tight spaces. I use the 24mm length for indoor party shots with bounce flash.

If your remember, I had the 11-16 before but I found the focal range to be very limiting for what I wanted to do. Plus the distortion on it was too much for me.
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #13
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Oh wow, cool! Glad you're using it a lot... it was a great lens for me, but I didn't find myself using it enough. I do want to get a Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR though.
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #14

Well this thread may be pointless for me since I might be purchasing another lense soon

But I have learned some new stuff. But if i get what you are saying Steve, you can only use manual mode with the Pro-optic lens on the D80. Which I guess isn't a huge problem, just would need some trial and error.
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:17 AM   #15

Manual or shutter priority. Either way you'll be setting the shutter speed and ISO on the camera, and the aperture via the aperture ring of the lens, just like a manual Nikkor AI/AIS lens. A Gossen Digisix light meter for $135 is a handy little tool to have if you shoot manual glass a lot. Actually every photographer ought to have one, since it's a great way to learn about light and exposure. I got so frustrated with Nikon's lousy metering that I was using an external meter and full manual mode even with CPU lenses.
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:56 AM   #16
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Accord4cyl View Post
Well this thread may be pointless for me since I might be purchasing one of Trevor's lenses soon
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM   #17

I might have to think about getting a meter also...i feel like it could come in handy a few times...hmmm there seems to always be something I could buy haha
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM   #18
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2

Welcome to my life. :x

I've thought about getting a meter too, especially when using artificial light.
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM   #19

I would think a meter would be great for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in