Sanity check... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #1
4.0L

Sanity check...

Ok, so my friend and I have been doing a little photography business on the side and most recently we've had a wedding and a Hindu baby shower to shoot. In both cases, we delivered the photos (200+ for the wedding and 116 for the baby shower)...and in both cases the client has asked for "all the photos taken that day".

Is this weird that they're asking for it? Would you, as a client ask for this?

Personally, I wouldn't ask for it unless I paid $3k for a wedding photographer and they gave me 5 photos. I know of course that I'm biased because I'm the photographer, but I see this as asking an artist for their doodle pad. I chose photos that show important parts of the wedding (according to the long ass list of specific shots the bride wanted...minus 2-3) and delivered finished products. Now she's asking for ALL the pictures taken that day.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I crazy to not wanna give this woman all the photos I took that day?

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VietNinjaJ30A1
2000 Honda Accord V6 Supercharged
Official Slammed Club Member #36 (Stage 1)
VietNinjaJ30A1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #2
FG4

I don't think that you are crazy. Its true what you said, its like applying for a job and including your doodle notebook in with your portfolio

or you can just say, I dont have any more pics

Last edited by Batmobile; October 18th, 2010 at 07:59 PM..
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Banned

damn hindus
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #4

I'm missing something, does it inconvenience you in any way to hand over all the shots? Putting myself in a photog's shoes, I wouldn't want the shots I intentionally left out to be considered along with the finished album as it might cheapen the finished product's quality. The final album that mirrors your style, expertise, etc. is what you're getting paid for. However, list of specifications or not, as a customer now I'd like to be the judge of which shots I like and which I don't. IMO you should give them every pic that didn't make the final cut in a supplementary package.
Redliner886 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #5
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

I see both sides. But I cant decide
skatingclaybird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #6
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Send a message via AIM to slowaccord
indian and pakistani people want very specific shots especially for weddings. That is probably why they want all the shots so they can pick and choose which family members are in which shots. It's kind of hard to explain but anyone from that region will understand what im sayin. It's waaaaaay diff than an american wedding.
slowaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #7
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
hindu people are cheap and they want everything done right away. If they give u a dollar they will make sure they get enough stuff from u worth that from u.

I myself am a Hindu and I am far the most different than all of them. Hindu are cheap and weird as hell..

In ur case, u are not crazy.. I would expect them to act that way.
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #8
4.0L

Just to clarify...I didn't put "Hindu baby shower" because it being Hindu has anything to do with the situation . I just thought "baby shower" alone would raise eyebrows as to why I was hired as a photographer for that event.

Redliner - You're correct. Say I take 800 photos on the day of the wedding. I'm going to definitely have duplicates (which is usually the primary reason for leaving out a photo) so I pick the best of the bunch of similar photos and process that one. There are also some photos where I think I dropped the ball on the lighting or composition and that's where I feel like including that photo would cheapen the overall quality. I'm not perfect...I've only had a camera for 4 years and mostly as a hobbyist. I'm going to miss sometimes.

After giving it some more thought...I thought about the same thing you brought up. I should provide some sort of "proofing" process for the client. I show them 100 photos and say "pick 60". The only downside to that is I for sure have to (even if it's lightly) process 100 photos (crop, WB, exposure, color all need to be tweaked a little bit) and then I have to go back and full on process 60 of them. This is why we decided to stay away from the proofing process when we started this journey. Looks like we might have to consider doing it now.

slowaccord - How's the steering wheel treating you? haha. What you said is exactly the reason why the baby shower client wants all the photos. She said that certain people appeared in few pictures and there were other people that she was looking for. In this case I don't mind too much giving her the rest of the photos, but again I feel like this is giving her my "doodle pad". Also, I took a picture of everyone that I could. Some people just didn't want to be photographed...or they were making some ridiculous face at the exact moment I took the picture.

Overall it comes down to me not wanting to give all the photos because they came to me because they like my style (from seeing my portfolio) and the reason they saw what they saw is because I chose those photos and I processed them in a certain way. Giving them all the photos straight off the camera would be giving them something that isn't "my style" exactly.
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #9
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Well the last wedding I shot, my partner and I had over 1000 photos. We trimmed out the obviously bad shots (out of focus, etc) but didn't trim it down too much beyond that, because you never know what the client might want or not want. After the mild trimming of the obvious bad stuff we picked out a few hundred of our personal favorites and did light (or no) processing on those as needed and that was it.

I do leave in a lot of duplicates too. You never know. Maybe they'll have liked a different composition, or a slightly different expression better that you might have filtered out.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Since I delete the non-focus shots and the really bad shots leaving only the ones that are salvagable....all the pictures taken that day is what I normally give people. I personally would never give "ALL THE PICTURES" unless it was under contract. I think in your case, you need a better contract that stipulates this issue. It's a very common clause and if a client wants more pictures, they have to pay extra for them.

I understand the point that you don't want your bad pictures out there. You and 1000+ professional photographers believe the same thing. That's why its all in a contract. For example, in my latest Homecoming Dance gallery, I told the girls to download what they liked and that I would post up a few different exposure styles for them to choose. They knew up front that there would be 2-3 of the same pictures. I told them that any pictures I don't post up are bad and out of focus and not worth my time to process them so I normally delete them so that aren't any confusion in my workflow. With just a 15-20 minute shoot, I still have over 60 shots with over 69 pictures posted with processing.

I guess a lot depends on what you filtered out. Whether you didn't like the composition or they were completely out of focus.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #11
4.0L

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll definitely make it a point to revise our contract and put this clause in there.

What normally happens is I'll delete out of focus and obviously bad photos, like you guys said. Then for the duplicates, say I have 6 photos that are very similar and I'll pick 2 or 3.

I think working in a proofing process and adding a clause to the contract that says only the photos they pick will be delivered will keep this from happening in the future. More photos will cost extra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in