Buying a point-and-shoot camera - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1

Buying a point-and-shoot camera

Hey guys,

I would like to ask for your help on purchasing a new camera for my mum. She wants a simple but high-quality point-and-shoot camera. I'm thinking about spending ~$400. I'm willing to push it if need be. I would like to get her a camera that takes pictures at the instant the button is clicked (I've used several cameras in the past where there's a delay time from pressing to taking the picture). I was looking at these two cameras from Nikon:

Nikon Coolpix L110

Nikon Coolpix P100

The P100 seems to have more features that she probably won't use. What are your thoughts and do you have any other recommendations over these two? Thanks in advance guys and Merry Christmas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Buy my AP1 wheels!&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Ofnir107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Canon S95 or G12, or the Panasonic Lumix LX5 are what you want. They both have "big" sensors for point and shoots and are around those prices or less. Nikon point and shoots stink. If you really want a Nikon though, the P7000 has the bigger sensor, but it's nothing but a copy of Canon's previous G11.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #3

Why don't you save just a little more and purchase a entry level dslr?

You can find a Canon EOS Rebel XS or Nikon D3000 with a beginners lens for $400-$600

The quality of images will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06SSM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4

Nikon Coolpix L22 12 Megapixel Compact Camera - 6.70 mm-24 mm - Black, Nikon Corporation - Barnes & Noble

59 buck shipped.. Just buy this point and shoot.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/sear...AN=18208262076

thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Canon S95 or G12, or the Panasonic Lumix LX5 are what you want. They both have "big" sensors for point and shoots and are around those prices or less. Nikon point and shoots stink. If you really want a Nikon though, the P7000 has the bigger sensor, but it's nothing but a copy of Canon's previous G11.
Thanks for the feedback. I was just looking at Nikon for a starting point. I would definitely consider other brands. The Canon G12 looks really tempting at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SSM View Post

You can find a Canon EOS Rebel XS or Nikon D3000 with a beginners lens for $400-$600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The camera is for my mum. She wants something that's compact and simple to use. Otherwise, I would definitely get her a DSLR.

Thanks for the links. I'll look into them.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Buy my AP1 wheels!&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Ofnir107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #6
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SSM View Post

I never lug my DSLRs around unless there's a purpose for them for which no other camera will do. My kids running around somewhere where I need the fast autofocus and longer lenses of a DSLR, or serious landscape and travel shots. For casual use where I'm not that demanding but just want something to take a photo with if I see something that catches my eye, my Canon S90 or heck even my iPhone4 will do. Not every photo you take needs to stand up to pixel peeping at the equivalent of a 3 foot wide print. Plenty of professionals use the better compact cameras for exactly those purposes.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in