Sell Canon 70-200 F/4L non-IS to get Tamron 18-270 PZD VC? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Sell Canon 70-200 F/4L non-IS to get Tamron 18-270 PZD VC?

Just like the title says.

I'm tired of switching between my 17-50 and my 70-200 when I'm chasing the kids or just taking lots of vacation shots. I have enough things to carry as it is and I'm hoping the 18-270 will lighten the load a LOT!

I know it won't have the sharpness of the L, but w/ VC I think my 200mm+ shots will actually be better.

Sell my 70-200 for $500 and pick up the $620 18-270 PZD VC????

What do you all think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

If you mainly need wider, then what you want is the 24-105mm f/4L IS.

I LOVE IT, especially on my T2i. 24mm is generally wide enough on a crop body, and 105mm gets you out into the telephoto range nicely while still having f/4 speed, great sharpness, fast focusing, great bokeh, and it has stabilization too. That and something like the Canon 10-22mm is a perfect two lens combo for just about anything.

Edit: If you really want 18mm or wider, I'd consider either the EF-S 15-85 IS or the 18-135 IS before the Tamron 18-270.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/15-85mm.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-135mm.htm

I've never been impressed with the image quality of any of the super-zoom lenses. When we head to the far east again next year I'll probably rent that 15-85 for my T2i and just bring that and the 35/2 and that's it.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Aggh. Good choices. I forgot about those two. The 18-135 is good option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:54 AM   #4
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

B&H has the 18-135 white box for $340. I think I might pick one of those up and just park it on my T2i for a lightweight/travel kit. It's a lot lighter and handles better (on the T2i) than my 24-105L does even though it's the same range.

It sounds like you dislike the 17-50/2.8 for the same reason I ended up wanting to sell my Nikon 17-55/2.8. Just not long enough on the wide end for good portrait or longer shots, and then constantly needing to switch lenses. Sell the 17-50, pickup the 18-135, and keep the 70-200. The 18-135 was my favorite all-around lens for crop bodies on Nikon, and I know ryan/kramer2k has one of those for his D40 and gets tons of great photos from it. My dad has one for his D60 and gets great photos also. The Canon version is built surprisingly good and feels great. Handled it at a Canon demo day once. If you look, you can probably find them used for less than $300 out of people's kits too, but that white box special from B&H looks like a pretty good deal.

arrggh, now I have to decide between that and a used Nikon 60mm f/2.8 macro lens I was thinking of picking up, and using via the adapter on my Canons. lol
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Just like the title says.

I'm tired of switching between my 17-50 and my 70-200 when I'm chasing the kids or just taking lots of vacation shots. I have enough things to carry as it is and I'm hoping the 18-270 will lighten the load a LOT!

I know it won't have the sharpness of the L, but w/ VC I think my 200mm+ shots will actually be better.

Sell my 70-200 for $500 and pick up the $620 18-270 PZD VC????

What do you all think?
first off, I wouldn't sell the 70-200mm, that's a good lens and you can make use of it for other shooting situations such as sports, wildlife, airshows, drag races, and other sporting events. NEVER sell a good lens, even if you don't use it that much, because the one time you do need it, you won't have it.

secondly, as a staff photographer for 2 newspaper, and owner of a 7D and several lenses, and a college student who has taken several photography classes, and I run my own photography business on the side to make extra money, here's my experienced opinion.

I wouldn't ever stick a Tamron or Sigma lens on my Canon camera. The only exception to that is, I would use the Sigma 10-22. I've seen side by side comparison of the Sigma 10-22, and the Canon 10-22, and there is absolutely no difference, but it's a rare case where Sigma actually got the specs right, and the Sigma is a bit cheaper than the canon, but with other lenses, there's just no replacement for a quality canon lens. Your primes, and white/tan/grey bodies, and f/4 or faster lenses are the lenses you should be buying, they will give you the best image, with the clarity, sharpness, and color.

Non-canon brand lenses tend to lack the clarity, sharpness and quality that Canon lenses have.

If you take a photo from a canon lens, usually you have sharp clarity through the entire image (doesn't apply to depth of field pics, where the background is blurry/out of of focus but your subject is in focus).

on sigma, tamron, and other lenses, if the whole pictures is in focus, the outer edges (top, right, left and bottom) of your image are soft, fuzzy, and not very sharp and defined, and that's because these lenses are not made to the same standard as a canon lens is.

if you can find an image from each (about 1600x1200) and compare them side to side. pay attention to fine details, edges (outlines of people, textured surfaces such as a brick building, sharpness of the image, contrast, color). you can correct color and contrast, you can not correct detail/clarity/sharpness. you can add sharpness to an image, but you destroy information in the jpeg, and you add digital noise to the photo.

If you're tired of changing lenses, then I'd recommend the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. it's a kit lens and normally I would suggest avoiding kit lenses, but for your purposes (kids, vacation and photos you don't have a lot of time to make adjustments and compose a shot) it will work fine, and it will still take a good picture during the day and late afternoon. I wouldn't recommend this lens for low-light situations though, your results won't be very good, you may get some late afternoon/early evening photos if you're on a tripod, but you will have to bump ISO to compensate, and your photos will have some grain to them at higher image resolutions, but down sizing and cropping will help reduce that.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Canon lenses work best on Canon camera's. Keep the 70-200, and buy the 18-200mm. otherwise, send that 70-200mm my way, I'll make use of it.
WyattEarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in