Recommend a DSLR for a beginner - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > GENERAL DISCUSSION > RANDOM CHATTER > TECHNOLOGY CORNER > V6P PHOTOGRAPHY CLUB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM   #1
*this space for rent*

Send a message via AIM to UrbanRocker
Cool Recommend a DSLR for a beginner

Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a DSLR but I don't want to break the bank for one especially since I'm a novice. I will still be learning so what would be a good learning camera? I was looking at these two:

Canon Digital Rebel XT

Nikon D40

Any help will be appreciated!
UrbanRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
i find alot of n00bs with the canon digital rebel.

the pictures look good too - i'd say +1 for the canon
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM   #3
A n g u s D e i

Send a message via AIM to itchthys
D40 ftw. DocX would agree.
itchthys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:58 PM   #4
ex scientia vera

I am partial here; I just bought the Nikon D40 from Amazon for $535 shipped. It's the kit camera so it came with the Nikkor 18-55mm lens. I bought some other goodies and I'm still easily under a grand. This camera was made for the beginner, so it's controls are intuitive, but there is still plenty of room to grow into it. One of the things that tipped me over to the Nikon side (as opposed to the obvious competitor, Canon) was it's ability to automatically adjust the ISO settings (auto-ISO) for each lighting situation. As a beginner with limited understanding of the requirements for differing scenarious, this feature is invaluable, as I didn't want to be constantly worrying if I had it set correctly.
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM   #5
*this space for rent*

where are you guys buying the DSLR's?
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:11 PM   #6
ex scientia vera

www.beachcamera.com/shop/home.aspx
www.bhphotovideo.com/
www.adorama.com/
www.amazon.com <--- where I got mine.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #7
in love with gold

Send a message via AIM to frozen
oh this is very good information and a good thread as i've started to have a growing interest as well.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:31 PM   #8
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
i new to slr and jut got myself a used 20d.. its a great start from what i was recommeneded
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #9
ex scientia vera

A few images from my D40:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]"> &mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]"> &mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Nothing too spectacular, but I do learn something new every time I'm out shooting.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:08 PM   #10
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I have both a Nikon D40 and a D80 and they're both great. I love the feel of the Nikon bodies, the great menus, and a lot of the automated things in the Nikons that the Canons don't do (Auto ISO, Auto Contrast, etc) allow you to concentrate on shooting more and fiddling with camera settings less. The D40 is so easy to use that my wife can use it.

Don't just listen to anybody here though. Try them out for yourself in your own hands and see how they fit and how easily you can reach the controls since that's the most important. My D80 fits my hand like a glove, but the D40 is a bit to small and is sorta awkward (as are the Canon Rebels). But the D40 is perfect for my wife. Also, if you have friends or relatives with either systems, you can borrow equipment and lenses from them to try stuff out. I'd stick with either Nikon or Canon and avoid Sony and Pentax despite the cheaper prices on their bodies. Nikon and Canon have huge user bases so there's a lot more used equipment available for cheap, and you never know if Sony or Pentax are going to wave the red flags sometime down the line leaving you with an investment in equipment but no upgrade path.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM   #11

Ive been using canon, but i think the D40 would be better for a beginner, and as a lower budget camera...
ericspda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM   #12
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

oh yeah, the big big downside of the Nikon D40 is that it only works with AF-S type lenses, which means lenses with built in focusing motors. A lot of the best and classic Nikon lenses along with pretty much all of the high speed primes are non AF-S (regular AF type) and need the in-body screw focusing drive that the D40 lacks. So my 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.8 primes won't work on the D40 (the lens does and you can take pictures, but no auto focus which is a PITA). If you're interested in those types of lenses and like the Nikon bodies and system better, look for used D50, D70/D70s, or even a used D80, all of which get incrementally more expensive.

Another thing to look at is the price of the various lenses in the different systems. Turns out that a lot of the lenses I want for my Nikon are far more expensive in the Nikon system than in the Canon system. Canon lenses tend to be a bit cheaper.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #13
*this space for rent*

I think I'm going to get the Nikon. I'm basing it on ease of use, and I'll be able to reuse the many SD memory cards I already have. I don't plan to buy too many lenses for it because it will be my "learning" camera. Once I've gotten a little more educated and confident about my picture taking abilities, then I'll get a higher end DSLR and get the lenses for those.

Thanks for all of the help photo gurus! Feel free to add more info and insight for others who decide to delve into the DSLR world.
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #14

I have a D80 and i love it!!!
00Accord4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #15
*this space for rent*

the D80 is ballin'! hahaha...maybe later I can get one of those $1000 and up SLR's
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #16
*this space for rent*

I finally got my D40!...no other accessories yet but I will after I get some more parts for the other toy.

I also picked up a Nikon Coolpix S50 for the wife. And I now have a bunch of spare accessories and parts from the older digital cameras and a Pentax that will not stay on. Do you guys think I'll be able to sell 'em?
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #17
in love with gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRocker View Post
I finally got my D40!...no other accessories yet but I will after I get some more parts for the other toy.

I also picked up a Nikon Coolpix S50 for the wife. And I now have a bunch of spare accessories and parts from the older digital cameras and a Pentax that will not stay on. Do you guys think I'll be able to sell 'em?
well if it has a problem staying on, then i dont think you'd be able to sell them. i suggest donating them to a goodwill or something and getting a tax writeoff if they're still worth something.
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Destroyer of Tires

D40

Sold one to a lady yesterday. I'm gonna try and save up for the D80 or D200

What is

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #19
Just a Regular Member now

Send a message via AIM to Dizzy
Hmm...am I the ONLY using Canon here now 40D here I come! hehehe.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #20
Destroyer of Tires

Implayaz9 uses a 20D.

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #21
in love with gold

Teirs has a 10D.

Last edited by frozen; August 28th, 2007 at 01:10 AM..
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRocker View Post
I think I'm going to get the Nikon. I'm basing it on ease of use, and I'll be able to reuse the many SD memory cards I already have. I don't plan to buy too many lenses for it because it will be my "learning" camera. Once I've gotten a little more educated and confident about my picture taking abilities, then I'll get a higher end DSLR and get the lenses for those.

Thanks for all of the help photo gurus! Feel free to add more info and insight for others who decide to delve into the DSLR world.
Just curious....I've found the Canon XTi to be very easy to use as well. I always hear talk about Nikon being easy. Is there something inherent in the XTi that people are finding hard to use? I know you already got the D40 so this point is moot anyways. I'm just curious to see if you tried the XTi as well.

Eric: why do you think the D40 would be better for a beginner? I'm on both the Nikon and Canon forums so I do read both sides and understand a lot is a matter of how one likes the menu system and controls, however, I see plenty of beginners doing just as fine on the XTi as any other camera.

DSLR's in general have a steep learning curve regardless of camera body so everyone should keep that in mind when getting one. I highly recommend those free classes that Ritz offers (if you bought from them) or even just a basic one from your local community college.
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #23
Destroyer of Tires

It's not that the XTi is hard to use, it's just that Nikons are easier to use. The menus are easy to navigate and make sense. Sometimes with the Canons (at least for the older ones) I've thought that the menus were a bit much for someone who didn't know what they were looking at.

Old August 29th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #24
Fast at Last!... kind of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
D40

Sold one to a lady yesterday. I'm gonna try and save up for the D80 or D200
Do you work at a Best Buy or something? Is there employee discounts??
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #25
Fast at Last!... kind of.

I'm OG and I use an old 300D. Oooh rah.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #26
Destroyer of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Do you work at a Best Buy or something? Is there employee discounts??
Circuit City

The REALLY good store discounts come around only at certain times of the year. I can get a D200 for $1,100 when it normally is about $1,500

D80 kit I can get for under a G also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
I'm OG and I use an old 300D. Oooh rah.
Old school! Is it silver or black?

Old August 29th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #27
(つ◕‿◕)つ*.★.*.★.* .★.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
Circuit City

The REALLY good store discounts come around only at certain times of the year. I can get a D200 for $1,100 when it normally is about $1,500

D80 kit I can get for under a G also.

Old school! Is it silver or black?
how much can you get a nikon 18-200mm for?
Red02AccordV6_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #28
Destroyer of Tires

I haven't checked to see if I can get that lens.

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #29
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
main diff between a 20d and a d40?
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #30

Hmm...I'm still using the Digital Rebel. yes...the original 300D DSLR that started it all. You can see some of m latest shots in my Euro Trip thread.

Canon 20D and Nikon D40? goto www.dpreview.com and you'll get a good idea. Those two are not even in the same league. Even the XTi and D40 can't really be compared either. In fact, Canon doesn't have a low cost camera to compete w/ the Nikon D40. As Steve mentioned before, the D40 can only use Nikon AF-S lenses which locks you out of the 100+ Nikon lenses out there. Canon's EF-S system allows you to use their newest 1.6 crop lenses as well as the 100+ Canon EF lenses out there. Canon fanatics say that Canon doesn't need to stoop so low as to put out a stripped down Canon for the masses. However, speculation is that Nikon is having the last laugh because the D40 is selling pretty darn well due to some smart marketing and its low price range.

A lot is also how each feel in your hands, how the buttons work, etc... Canon lenses tend to be a LOT more numerous than Nikon and at cheaper prices for pretty much the same quality. Nikon has a bad habit of releasing some really great lenses and then not being able to stock them fast enough. I read somewhere that Nikon doesn't even make their own sensors....Sony makes them for them because Nikon doesn't have a chip making facility. I dunno if its true or not, but if it is....we should soon see Sony catching up rather rapidly with their Alpha series.

A lot of pro/advanced amateurs still use the Canon 20D. They wouldn't touch a D40 w/ a 10 foot pole. <=== which also applies to Nikon users and their D200. Even they wouldn't touch the D40 at all.

All this being said and after reading all the specs and reviews....it all still comes down to the person pressing that shutter button
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in