Ideas to stop people from post-whoring - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > HELP DESK > V6performance Forum Help/Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Brad

Send a message via AIM to bdeitemeyer
Ideas to stop people from post-whoring

If you take a look at the "new posts", quite often you'll notice a newcomer that's made 10 or more quick (and meaningless) posts to raise his post count and post an ad or a picture.

Can the mods consider doing something to stop this? For instance, it's already regulated that someone in general can't post within a short time of his/her last post. Why not adjust that rule to those new members with fewer than 10 posts so that they can only make a post once an hour or once a day?
bdeitemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #2

bust an acurazine on them. 1 month probation
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 19th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #3
jsiriusvtec

I know of a forum that asks a few detailed questions about how you heard of them, why are you here, etc. and then requires mod approval before the applicant can gain full access to the site....it's a good deterrent for people that are in a hurry

Rather than create more work for the mods, we could make it somewhat public so at least 1 or more members can do it....

Or maybe restrict their access to a dedicated sub-forum, and require that they be voted out before they will be granted full permissions.

Here you could encourage them to ask questions/post ads/whatever they are wanting to do, and it would be much less of a problem as we wouldn't have stupid shi+ everywhere...

..but we all would know what exactly that area is for, and most of us would have to have some sort of incentive to view the content........basically, good applicants would likely be overlooked because we would never open that sub-forum

Last edited by jsiriusvtec; December 19th, 2010 at 03:46 AM..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #4
xXxCLS bOoStEdXxX

Send a message via AIM to slowaccord
i agree with u brad. These fukkin noobs bump 95 year old threads with a "looks good" or "nice" just to get more posts in. Its annoying!
slowaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #5
jsiriusvtec

one thing we could stop doing is helping the people that post whore when they do start a thread

of course it wouldn't stop these spoon-fed, spoiled kids from post whoring, but it sure would make me feel better
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #6
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseriesvtec View Post
I know of a forum that asks a few detailed questions about how you heard of them, why are you here, etc. and then requires mod approval before the applicant can gain full access to the site....it's a good deterrent for people that are in a hurry

Rather than create more work for the mods, we could make it somewhat public so at least 1 or more members can do it....

Or maybe restrict their access to a dedicated sub-forum, and require that they be voted out before they will be granted full permissions.

Here you could encourage them to ask questions/post ads/whatever they are wanting to do, and it would be much less of a problem as we wouldn't have stupid shi+ everywhere...

..but we all would know what exactly that area is for, and most of us would have to have some sort of incentive to view the content........basically, good applicants would likely be overlooked because we would never open that sub-forum

i think part of problem is those forums are private and not for advertisement.
v6p as far as i know has other companies to adversite on here and has sponsors. so more ppl sign up the better. so thats why they dont do verifications and such. thats just my theory

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me if you have questions or pictures are missing from my threads (cleaned photobucket)
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #7
J35 6Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseriesvtec View Post
one thing we could stop doing is helping the people that post whore when they do start a thread

of course it wouldn't stop these spoon-fed, spoiled kids from post whoring, but it sure would make me feel better
+1
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Coldspeed

IMHO I don't really care. Yeah, spamming old threads and just adding in "Looks good" to old threads to increase your post count is annoying, but if they're doing that to sell something I always look at their post count and history before buying anyways. If it's under 100 I rarely pay it any trustworthy mind.

If they're doing it to PM, might be okay, since maybe they lurk and finally want to buy something. But that sucks because they're still post whoring.

I dunno.
Metaender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #9
Brad

We REALLY need to increase the required post count before people can make FS threads (or threads in general).

Why is it that it only takes 10 posts to make a thread (especially in the Classifieds section)? Why not make it a much larger number, like 100 or 250? That would REALLY weed out the trashy posts and prevent postwhores from managing to make their thread. If someone makes 10 useless & irrelevant posts right now, they can easily make a thread to achieve their goal, and by the time the mods remove their thread...it's too late. All someone needs to do is leave a number or email, and someone will be able to contact them about the thread even after it's been deleted (as long as it's viewed beforehand). Even lesser forums have stricter requirements than v6p, and that's unfortunate.

Why does this continue to happen?
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #10
SK8 OR DIE

What is the problem you are trying to solve? It sounds like it's the prevention of annoying posts from newcomers who are trying to raise post count.
That is actually more of a symptom than a root cause -- the actual problem is that newcomers might be spammers, so they need a "burn in" period or some kind of authentication, right?

So is requiring X number of posts before giving them privileges the right solution? I don't think requiring 100 is very fair......I have < 100, yet I've driven across the U.S. to meet Paul and do the J36 swap, so I'm certainly legit at that point.
(Also you don't want to increase the thing you hate either, right.)

You can't have a "Let anyone and everyone instantly create accounts and start posting" type model without letting all the dirt through the cracks. Public restrooms get tagged up and abused pretty badly right (at least in SoCal haha).

So what's the trade off? Would you rather spend a nice chunk of your time sifting through the quarantine, approving new accounts and validating peeps (which requires constant responsibility--you are providing a service and have a queue at that point), or would you rather spend less, uncommitted time dealing with the posts of noobs trying to climb out of the tarpit themselves (which doesn't require your dedicated attention whatsoever)?

I personally hate to see litter in the park, but the world is full of sloppy idiots who need to be beaten with a rubber hose. (Read: I would run a forum more the way elitecm does....hence elite.)
invsblduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #11
Brad

There are 2 problems I'm trying to solve I guess...

1) doing a better job of monitoring postwhores
2) preventing them from creating threads as a result of their postwhoring

I understand that not every person with a low post count is a problem or untrustworthy. It just aggravates me when someone with 10 quick posts can post up something for sale with zero credibility on the forum. It's actually a safety concern at some point (although of course every sales transaction online can be problematic) when someone creates a FS thread the same day that they join the forum. Perhaps we should require a vouch system similar to ClubLexus on higher priced items for sale, that would certainly put more members at ease in my opinion. Another forum, my.is, actually has to approve a member's permissions before that person can post (or view IIRC) the classified section of the forum once they've reached 50 posts "legitimately" (during the approval process if they notice the user just postwhored his way to 50 posts, they'll just continue to suspend the privileges - if not the account altogether).

The postwhoring is abundant because that's the easiest way to circumvent the 10-post rule for making a thread. If there was some other requirement, such as a veteran member's vouch for a FS item or the my.is method, then I'd be willing to bet the irrelevant postwhoring would be reduced to a certain extent.

If the mods don't want to spend a nice chunk of their time reviewing newer members & their postwhoring, I'm sure myself and others would be up for the task. All it takes is implementing a decent system with rules that are known to work (from reviewing other forums). IMO the current system just isn't working. Anyone can make 10 posts and have automatic access to creating a FS thread, then presenting himself with the opportunity to rip off a fellow member for possibly hundreds of dollars. Some of that will happen regardless of the rules, but some of that can still be prevented with a little more effort or concern. Just my $.02...
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #12

I am a new member here but I am on other Accord forum,I join here because i purchased a 2009 V6 last month.I already owned a 2007 I4 but felt i could not join this forum unless i have a V6 Honda.
On my second post i found a seller of some rims i was looking for and purchased them.
I am here for the long run and love my Honda's, and i do learn from you guys and hope i don't become a Post whore.

Last edited by JHV357; November 15th, 2011 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: edit
JHV357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Destroyer of Tires

What if you've been post whoring since December of 2004 though?!

I'm with Brad on this one, as a senior mod it is VERY annoying seeing those threads pop up. I think perhaps putting a post count requirement along with a time frame requirement would help. What's your guys' take on it? Like lets say they need 25 posts, and they can't post a thread for a month?

One other thing we should address is the spam account issue. Perhaps a captcha system would help prevent that. Just a simple thing like that, or even a small questionnaire that requires someone with a brain to answer would prevent any and all of those stupid spam posts.

Doctor_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #14

I also think it's annoying when someone bumps old threads.

I'm sure there is some kind of forum add-on that can auto lock threads after a certain time of inactivity has pasted. If not, I'm sure there are a few coders on here that can develop something along those lines. That would solve that problem.
gatorrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in