Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anybody knows if it is easy to do a rear disc conversion on an 05 LX 4 cyl? Would 6th gen calipers and rotors fit? I ask that question cuz i'd assume those would be easier to find. Would I just need calipers,rotors and lines? What exactly would I need to do a disc swap in the rear? Thank you!

·
Your Mom Drives a Honda
2,084 Posts
you might just be able to order the parts needed from a ex trim level 05 on any of the various parts websites and do the switch...not sure though....don't know how that would work out with ABS or any other forms of sensors...

·
Banned
475 Posts
Don't bother.

Sell the car and buy an Accord that has 4 wheels disc brakes.

Another option is to keep your car, live with the rear drums and install larger front rotors (aftermarket or the 11.8" rotors from the Accord 6 speed if you're able to get the part numbers (inluding caliper brackets, etc).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhh I just bought the car and am not wiling to drop an extra 6 grand just for some rear disc brakes = EX. Just answer the question. Thanks to the other guy (andrew)

·
Registered
23,782 Posts
It's possible, but you will need a few main parts (plus many smaller ones).

1. Rear wheel rotors
2. EX ABS module
3. Rear wheel ABS sensor

All I can think of at the moment.

0430Steve said:
the 05 has rear drum? i thought all the accords had disc?
Nope, only the 2003-2005 EX, LX V6 and EX V6 (both auto and 6 speed).

·
Banned
475 Posts
IIMPREZU said:
Uhh I just bought the car and am not wiling to drop an extra 6 grand just for some rear disc brakes = EX. Just answer the question. Thanks to the other guy (andrew)
The simplest and most effective way to enhance your braking PERFORMANCE is to install larger diameter front rotors. The fronts do most of the stopping - particularly in a nose heavy front drive car.

Leave the rear drums in place and focus on changing the fronts.

With the expection of the 6 speed (which uses larger (11.8") front rotors), NONE of the Accords stop very well. I've got an '04 EX V6 sedan at the moment. That's got 4 wheel discs and I still can't believe how LAME this car's braking it. Rear discs simply won't buy you all that much.

Go drive the EX version of your car if you don't believe me. The 4 wheels disc brakes don't feel much stronger than the disc/drums you have.

You want something like this:

http://www.v6performance.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=127

I don't know whether or not this particular kit will fit your car. The rotors are larger and the kit includes a bracket to relocate the stock caliper in order to accommodate the larger rotor.

You can get kits like this for ~ $500 if you look around.

CAUTION: Call Powerslot to get the correct kit number for your application. Make sure you get Powerstop PLUS or a similar, "plus size" rotor kit. You must also make sure that the relocated calipers will clear your stock wheels.

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,869 Posts
IIMPREZU said:
I was curious if anybody knows if it is easy to do a rear disc conversion on an 05 LX 4 cyl? Would 6th gen calipers and rotors fit? I ask that question cuz i'd assume those would be easier to find. Would I just need calipers,rotors and lines? What exactly would I need to do a disc swap in the rear? Thank you!
You might want to start by comparing the part numbers for the various parts of the braking system between an 05 LX-I4 and an 05 LX-V6 on a site like Majestic. Try and figure out which parts are the same and which ones differ.

066speedcoupe said:
Another option is to keep your car, live with the rear drums and install larger front rotors (aftermarket or the 11.8" rotors from the Accord 6 speed if you're able to get the part numbers (inluding caliper brackets, etc).
I think that would require larger rims if he did that. Then again, any larger front brakes would probably need them too.

·
Banned
475 Posts
03LXV6Guy said:
You might want to start by comparing the part numbers for the various parts of the braking system between an 05 LX-I4 and an 05 LX-V6 on a site like Majestic. Try and figure out which parts are the same and which ones differ.

I think that would require larger rims if he did that. Then again, any larger front brakes would probably need them too.
I'd simply leave the car alone if it were mine.

I'm betting that a properly done "rear disc conversion" - using all Honda parts, would cost more than $1,000. And I have concerns about whether or not the ABS modulators, governing software codes, etc. are compatible between the two systems (rear discs vs. rear drums). It may therefore cost FAR more than that. The rear hubs and brake lines are probably different, too.

If I HAD to have rear discs I'd sell the LX and buy an EX.

But the fact of the matter is that neither car stops very well - 4 wheels discs or not.

Assuming he wants to keep his car and improve its braking performance, his best bet is probably to install the larger front rotors (11.8")/calipers/mounting brackets from the V6-6 speed.

He'd have to find an example and take some simple measurements in order to determine whether or not his wheels would accommodate that hardware.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help, but my whole reason for wanting to do this is not for braking performance, but for LOOKS. When i slam this ***** on some 20s, i don't want those ugly drums poking through. My friend has a 6th gen EX accord he totaled, and hes willing to give me the entire rear end (as car had liability only) so the entire 6th gen 2001 accord coupe he crashed is mine as far as hes concerned. Just wondering.

·
Banned
475 Posts
IIMPREZU said:
Thanks for the help, but my whole reason for wanting to do this is not for braking performance, but for LOOKS. When i slam this ***** on some 20s, i don't want those ugly drums poking through. My friend has a 6th gen EX accord he totaled, and hes willing to give me the entire rear end (as car had liability only) so the entire 6th gen 2001 accord coupe he crashed is mine as far as hes concerned. Just wondering.
Try to imagine how tiny those 10" brake discs will look sitting inside 20" wheels.

I just checked out an '06 Accord V6 6 speed. That comes with 17" wheels; the rear discs looked utterly lost behind those 17s.

I suppose it's a different story if you already have the parts, but I think it would be pretty easy to really screw things up, given the complexities of modern day braking systems.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's not worth it. If you can activate ABS by standing on the brake pedal then braking force is not a problem and no gains can be realized there. The only problem people experience is from fade, hence why so many people who actually need to fix the fade problem install better pads. Unless you're going for some bling bling factor, you don't need bigger rotors. If you want to increase the friction coefficient in the back, you can get R4-S compound brake shoes from Porterfield Brakes.

·
Banned
475 Posts
superpilun said:
It's not worth it. If you can activate ABS by standing on the brake pedal then braking force is not a problem and no gains can be realized there. The only problem people experience is from fade, hence why so many people who actually need to fix the fade problem install better pads. Unless you're going for some bling bling factor, you don't need bigger rotors. If you want to increase the friction coefficient in the back, you can get R4-S compound brake shoes from Porterfield Brakes.

Good observations and advice.

I agree, although I'll note that I can't invoke ABS in my car (2004 Ex V6 sedan fitted with 225/50 rubber) at elevated speeds.

But earlier he stated that his sole reason for wanting rear discs was to improve cosmetics (discs look "better" than drums).

It truly isn't worth doing and I can see a huge "can of worms" waiting to be unleashed with such a project, since all of the variables are undoubtedly unknown and the likely outcome would be a compromised braking system and a considerable outlay of cash.

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,869 Posts
066speedcoupe said:
..... although I'll note that I can't invoke ABS in my car (2004 Ex V6 sedan fitted with 225/50 rubber) at elevated speeds.
That doesn't sound right to me. :gotme:

066speedcoupe said:
.....and the likely outcome would be...... a considerable outlay of cash.
Where is the "considerable outlay of cash"? If all (or the vast majority) of the parts he needs are free -which he said they were- then install labor may be all he's looking at. Not like it's going to cost a grand to get it installed. I'd think it could be installed in a few to several hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m swapping my LX with a K24A2, i have the big brake upgrade for the front. As well as multiple cars for spare parts for the disc, calipers, etc. I don’t need abs because it had to be disabled for the triptronic transmission to work. Would it be safe/ feasible to just swap to the caliper setup? Would I need to adjust or swap the partitioning valve or any lines??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts